Pogoplug Pro - $29.95 - Approx. 2.75k shipped - Low power download box etc

prasanth11 said:
will wifi work after installing Archlinux

It should work, just a matter of configuring it.
dinjo said:
@varkey
Is there a complete tutorial on getting most things on PogoPlug , something which is technical in nature I can figure out the specifics since the guide posted on main page only has arch linux.I did checked archlinux forums not much of info there.

Also is Gigabit switch required ? Are these switches easily available ?

Complete tutorial as in? Once ArchLinux is setup, you can use any available guide to setup Transmission etc. It need not be specific to the Pogoplug Pro.

Gigabit switch is your personal preference. On a Fast Ethernet switch the max file transfer rates you will get is about 10 MB/s whereas on a Gigabit switch it almosts doubles. You can get a good wireless router with a Gigabit switch for about 3k or less from the US.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

dinjo said:
It would be required for me since my modem does not have 2 Ethernet Switches

You don't require a Gigabit switch itself, you can use a normal Fast Ethernet 100 Mbps switch as well. :p

ubergeek said:
i placed my order on friday but still i didnt get any tracking numbers or anything iam really worried :(

You placed the order through ICC World?

Got my order confirmation and tracking no.

My modem is dlink glb 802 c and it only has one Ethernet plug so should I get a new modem with multiple ethernet plugs then I can avoid the switches

dinjo said:
Got my order confirmation and tracking no.

My modem is dlink glb 802 c and it only has one Ethernet plug so should I get a new modem with multiple ethernet plugs then I can avoid the switches

Nope. Just get a cheap 10/100 Mbps switch. The only issue with this is that the transfer speeds over LAN will be limited to 10~11MBps at max.

varkey said:
Gigabit switch is your personal preference. On a Fast Ethernet switch the max file transfer rates you will get is about 10 MB/s whereas on a Gigabit switch it almosts doubles

So with a GB switch, we wont get ~10x the speed?

Any alternatives for a modem which has 2 Ethernet cables ? i want to avoid the switches as they bring additional wires along with it.

@vivek.krishnan - The bottleneck is the USB interface which gives just about 25-30 MB/s Max. On the dockstar I get around 20-23 MB/s using a Gbit Switch over Samba.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk

I have ordered 1 unit using my Credit card as they were not accepting paypal. Soon after that I have asked them to cancel my order since I have ordered 3 units from ICC. Now the problem is that even I have asked for cancellation, they have shipped the product and now they are asking me to return the product which is impossible for me.

What options I have now? Can I block the transaction by calling my bank?

Please suggest.

honest1 said:
I have ordered 1 unit using my Credit card as they were not accepting paypal. Soon after that I have asked them to cancel my order since I have ordered 3 units from ICC. Now the problem is that even I have asked for cancellation, they have shipped the product and now they are asking me to return the product which is impossible for me.

What options I have now? Can I block the transaction by calling my bank?

Please suggest.

so your saying that u have ordered an extra pogoplug ??, dont worry i will take it for my friend.

varkey said:
@vivek.krishnan - The bottleneck is the USB interface which gives just about 25-30 MB/s Max. On the dockstar I get around 20-23 MB/s using a Gbit Switch over Samba.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk

Well, was assuming that having a GbE switch was pointless then. Thanks.

BTW, what if i connect the HDD internally to the SATA port? Any idea on speeds, as that is my plan eventually.

w00t finally my order got shipped to my bro in US i didnt use ICCworld for this one cause he will be coming to india in late december or ealry jan i can wait :D

btw my modem has only one ethernet port so how much does a swtich cost? liek a really cheap one

ubergeek said:
w00t finally my order got shipped to my bro in US i didnt use ICCworld for this one cause he will be coming to india in late december or ealry jan i can wait :D

btw my modem has only one ethernet port so how much does a swtich cost? liek a really cheap one

Cheapest is 600 bucks or so. Better still contact annababu here on TE, i believe he has one still left. He had quoted 200 bucks or so.

However, ideally you should ask your bro to get a GbE switch as that would be better, plus costs around 1K there, which is quite good. Also, you need to have a GbE port on your machine to get max speeds.

os if i dont have a GBE port then that kinda defeats the prupose of getting a gbe switch rite?

also dude can you gimme the dude's User ID

So if i dont have a GBE port then that kinda defeats the prupose of getting a gbe switch rite?

also dude can you gimme the dude's User ID i think ill settle for a cheap 200rs one :p

I ordered it yesterday via ICC yesterday. Just received their email stating that they need another 1.8k. These geezers should have ordered it yesterday itself. Going to cancel it. Maybe I should go with Pogoplug Pink from GEB. Damn if only it wasnt pink.

Back