PogoPlug Pro - Discussion Thread

Lol. Actually transmission is much more user friendly for newcomers like us. Rutorrent has too much dependencies I believe. RTorrent otoh is simple command line based program.

Hey
I migrated from my pendrive to my hdd from archwiki guide.
Now I am facing some issues like
1.Transmission getting closed constantly after some time.
2.hard disk getting crashed on its own
Was using that hdd before with my router without any problems:(

now a days getting quite a lot of power outages ... and this is screwing my usb stick . i am running debian wheezy with 2 partition (linux and swap) on a 16gb pd . Problem is that i have to reinstall debian almost every 2-3 power outage as the usb stick gets damaged . fsck also doesnt solve the usb stick's corruption . Tried making image using dd but its 14 gb image with gzip .Actual data ( base debian wh + transmission + proftpd + others) comes to only 5 pct of the usb stick .

Anyone knows a better way to make a backup image ? with lesser backup image size ?

Make sure you do these when system is not running i.e attach to different linux system.

1. Disk Image
-- Backup
Code:
dd if=/dev/sdb? of=/path/pogoplug.rootfs.backup.img bs=4M
-- Restore
Code:
dd if=/path/pogoplug.rootfs.backup.img of=/dev/sdb

2. Tar
Code:
mkdir /tmp/usb
mount /dev/sdb? /tmp/usb

-- Backup
Code:
cd /tmp/usb
tar -cvzf /path/pogoplug.rootfs.backup.tar.gz  ./

-- Restore
Code:
cd /tmp/usb
tar -xzvf /path/pogoplug.rootfs.backup.tar.gz

3. rsync
Code:
rsync -aAHWXxi --inplace --partial --no-compress --super --numeric-ids --delete --exclude=/lost+found/ /yoursource/ /toyourdestination/

Make sure you do these when system is not running i.e attach to different linux system.

1. Disk Image
-- Backup
Code:
dd if=/dev/sdb? of=/path/pogoplug.rootfs.backup.img bs=4M
-- Restore
Code:
dd if=/path/pogoplug.rootfs.backup.img of=/dev/sdb

2. Tar
Code:
mkdir /tmp/usb
mount /dev/sdb? /tmp/usb

-- Backup
Code:
cd /tmp/usb
tar -cvzf /path/pogoplug.rootfs.backup.tar.gz  ./

-- Restore
Code:
cd /tmp/usb
tar -xzvf /path/pogoplug.rootfs.backup.tar.gz

3. rsync
Code:
rsync -aAHWXxi --inplace --partial --no-compress --super --numeric-ids --delete --exclude=/lost+found/ /yoursource/ /toyourdestination/
Is this for me??:D

facepalm-849x10241.png

@dinjo , Already did the dd part , but used gzip instead of tar , how much difference can i expect ? coz thanks to 14.2 gb image , my lappy is full :p and i have few downloads in pogo . Also does uboot support extended partition ? i was thinking to partition my pd with primary partition 1 gb ( for base linux) , 256 swap , rest on extended ( to store downloads ) ... or something similar . Is it possible to make image of just the primary partition ?

@manu1991 , Isnt that just a frontend for dd again ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just umount the secondary drive and then do a dd you making a image of secondary drive too hence its 14GB

@roxysmile : I suppose you have a single partition for all? Yes, then its better to use a dedicated partition for the rootfs, so you can easily create a backup of the partition and will be much less in size.

@dinjo , dont have a secondary drive . just a single pd with two partition , 256mb swap and 14.2gb primary , correctly guesses by varkey .

@varkey so before installing debian , fdisk - p1 -> primary of 1 gb , p2->256mb swap , p3 -> extended 13.2gb ? and boot drive as p1 .
m guessing i will get a new disk in media folder then ? Do i have to change anything in uboot ?
Sorry , never really had to modify partitions before in ubuntu,so a newbie on this .

You need not reinstall, you can repartition the same pendrive and copy the files from backup, just exclude your data directory. The boot drive flag doesn't matter as uBoot always boots from the first partition. You will need to add the data partition to fstab for it to be auto mounted and you can mount it anywhere, doesn't have to be in /media

Hey
I migrated from my pendrive to my hdd from archwiki guide.
Now I am facing some issues like
1.Transmission getting closed constantly after some time.
2.hard disk getting crashed on its own
Was using that hdd before with my router without any problems:(
I too need help here:mad:

Back