OC & Modding Post your overclocks !

I have Corsair Vengeance RAM 2 sticks of 8GB, both bought together and rated at 3000 Mhz but they never run at 3000
Anytime I enable XMP in BIOS, PC just refuses to start and then resets back to default 2400 Mhz
Anyone got any suggestion?
check with hwinfo the memory modules could be of different oem , were both the ram sticks is one single box or were they in different box /package

I have Corsair Vengeance RAM 2 sticks of 8GB, both bought together and rated at 3000 Mhz but they never run at 3000
Anytime I enable XMP in BIOS, PC just refuses to start and then resets back to default 2400 Mhz
Anyone got any suggestion?
XMP is not a guaranteed thing. It depends on CPU and memory controller as well.

When buying a RAM with XMP profile, all you're getting is the same (mostly, except fancy heatsink and designs) DDR4 RAM which was 2400Mhz JEDEC spec but a "profile" which has been "tested" on some hardware by the manufacturer to be able to work on higher than rated spec. It only eliminates the process of you manually finding a stable frequency and timings on a standard memory which does not have XMP on it.

Since it's not tested on every possible combination of CPU/mobo then it's not a guarantee to be able to see it work on highest rated spec for all hardware. So you gotta find your sweet spot again since the profile is not playing well with your specific hardware.

Last edited:
check with hwinfo
Only saw '% of ram being used' in hwinfo
but I used CPU-Z and 1 ram says DRAM Manufacturer as Micron and 2nd as Samsung
Is this the issue?
the memory modules could be of different oem , were both the ram sticks is one single box or were they in different box /package
I bought 2 quantity and they were in separate box but they were exactly same

ram.jpg
ram2.jpg

XMP is not a guaranteed thing. It depends on CPU and memory controller as well.

When buying a RAM with XMP profile, all you're getting is the same (mostly, except fancy heatsink and designs) DDR4 RAM which was 2400Mhz JEDEC spec but a "profile" which has been "tested" on some hardware by the manufacturer to be able to work on higher than rated spec. It only eliminates the process of you manually finding a stable frequency and timings on a standard memory which does not have XMP on it.

Since it's not tested on every possible combination of CPU/mobo then it's not a guarantee to be able to see it work on highest rated spec for all hardware. So you gotta find your sweet spot again since the profile is not playing well with your specific hardware.
Thanks for the info, I tried entering 1499 manually but it didn't work either
Will try other lower values too
Though as per burntwingzzz's suggestion this might be a OEM mismatch issue

Last edited:
Yes Micron and Samsung won't work together in XMP despite the same specs.

Though you can manually tweak them. I personally prefer manual tweaking, it takes considerable amount of patience and time once you go into the rabbit hole but it's totally worth over XMP auto profiles.

In your case, manually input th CAS latencies and up the DRAM XMP rated voltage manually. Will work then. Usually it's 1.35V.

Yes Micron and Samsung won't work together in XMP despite the same specs.

Though you can manually tweak them. I personally prefer manual tweaking, it takes considerable amount of patience and time once you go into the rabbit hole but it's totally worth over XMP auto profiles.

In your case, manually input th CAS latencies and up the DRAM XMP rated voltage manually. Will work then. Usually it's 1.35V.
ok will try to look up a tutorial...good to hear that it's still possible to run it at 3000, I had otherwise given up on it

First thing you need to do is use Thaiphoon and check which die is the ram chip using. So download that and read the internal chip info. Think Micron will be Rev. E and Samsung is most likely E-Die.
But without checking it, you can directly enter DRAM voltage to 1.35V and then Channel A\B timings to 16-20-20-38-58. First check the if the basic advertised speeds work or not. This should be more than enough. Which motherboard do you have?

First thing you need to do is use Thaiphoon and check which die is the ram chip using. So download that and read the internal chip info. Think Micron will be Rev. E and Samsung is most likely E-Die.
But without checking it, you can directly enter DRAM voltage to 1.35V and then Channel A\B timings to 16-20-20-38-58. First check the if the basic advertised speeds work or not. This should be more than enough.
Micron is B-Die, for Samsung it doesn't seem to say anything

Which motherboard do you have?
MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

Snap30112021101108.png

Okay in your motherboard you need to configure these settings:
- DRAM frequency
- Adjusted DRAM Frequency
- Advanced DRAM configuration (for inputting 16-20-20-38-58-33-6-8) (CAS-RCD-RP-RAS-RC-FAW-RRDS-RRDL))
- DRAM Voltage set to 1.35Volts
- A-XMP = Disabled

Okay in your motherboard you need to configure these settings:
- DRAM frequency
- Adjusted DRAM Frequency
- Advanced DRAM configuration (for inputting 16-20-20-38-58-33-6-8) (CAS-RCD-RP-RAS-RC-FAW-RRDS-RRDL))
- DRAM Voltage set to 1.35Volts
- A-XMP = Disabled
Ok thanks for the info, I will give these settings a try

remove one stick and overclock ,do the stability test once stable insert the second stick (check whether the second stick can boot with the settings of first stick , if yes insert both if not the tweak untill they could boot with a common manual oc settings ) once this value is found disable Memory training save config and boot with both the sticks

Clear CMOS and reset the BIOS to default. And try with just the primary timings of (16-20-20-38) @ 1.36V
Sorry for late reply but I got busy with something else
Today I finally tried
I put 16-20-20-38-58-33-6-8 in Advanced DRAM configuration, DRAM Voltage to 1.35Volts and frequency to 3000Mhz
and it worked, ram is now running at 3000Mhz
Thank you for your help, for last 2 years I have been just running it at 2132Mhz :sweatsmile:

This is what CPU-Z looks like now
Max Bandwidth still shows 2132 though but memory page shows 1499
Task manager also shows 1500
So it's running at 3000 now right?
zzzzz.jpg

Think they're discouraging users because OCers would tend to settle for non-K versions if they can satisfy their needs by spending less. Lets see how it develops.

I have a question about these higher speed DDR4 RAMs. The Aorus 4400 Mhz ram or that HyperX 5333 Mhz ram. I notice that these higher speed rams, their latencies are too low, like CL19, CL20. Is it worth getting these faster rams for a 5600x system?

I currently have 8x2 Trident Z Neo 3600 Mhz CL16 running on a 5600x and 3080 Ti system. Only gaming. Nothing else :)

I have a question about these higher speed DDR4 RAMs. The Aorus 4400 Mhz ram or that HyperX 5333 Mhz ram. I notice that these higher speed rams, their latencies are too low, like CL19, CL20. Is it worth getting these faster rams for a 5600x system?

I currently have 8x2 Trident Z Neo 3600 Mhz CL16 running on a 5600x and 3080 Ti system. Only gaming. Nothing else :)
What you are refering to are two different parameters. The Higher the frequency of the RAM, the more bandwidth you will get in Read and Write operations. This is the bandwidth between the processor and the RAM. CL stuff referes to latency i.e. how fast RAM reacts to commands. Tighter timings do improve 0.1% and 1% lows in gaming if rest of the components are not a bottleneck.

Back