Prices set to raise on imported handsets

I will get papers on monday , and yes its officially confirmed . 6% is duty on cellphones from 1st march 00:01am :(

Custom is effective since 28 feb mid-night..

i was thinking that 6% is increase in excise not custom duty.

Anyway do you have papers of custom clearance ? , there might have indicated the duty.

Also good news for all, the final custom duty which we will have to pay will be approx 13% on assessed value :p

The Basic duty is now 6% and as well as the CVD is also 6%.

Before importing any cellphone check duty here Display of details for Tariff or Description

now i think the prices of mobile phone in India will surely rise once again :unsure:

Its only 6% on Indian MRP or 6% on your invoice value+22%

Its 6% only not 12 or 13% :|

Confirmed with official .

Nope it's applicable from 1st April, sns is openly looting people.

This budget is just a proposal, and can be declined in the coming one month.

Also ppobox, ishopinternational, hopshopgo rates unchanged.

Even i cross checked last evening Its Effective from April 1..
Ask SNS for Proper Proof of customs Paid,they are Cheating People..

i think some of your relative is in India custom, you can give us a better picture of the new rule :)

Its a confirmation that excise duty has been increased but there is absolutely no mention about the customs duty being increased:unsure: My feeling is that customs might be mixing up these two and started charging 6% in customs as well while it should be just excise:p
The report here Mobile phones to get costlier in India #Budget2013 (Update) states the following
To add more clarity on the matter and also rectify what we had mentioned earlier, government is increasing the excise duty. So, the imports are not likely to be impacted by this.

They have Increased thrice the Amount
Previously it was 2% and now its 6%
WTF is this Cheat Corrupt Govt Up to...
Will live in a Country Where no Can ? the Govt...

Kuch Nahin ho sakta is India Ka...

Chors and Scams from Top to Bottom :|

The Impact on the increase in custom duty will be more bad on Big Importers who Import Stuff in bulk quantities..

Got a mail from ppobox.com
Revision of Customs Duty on Mobiles - 7%
As of March 1, 2013 the Government of India has revised rates for the import of Mobile phones. *The new rate is 7%. *This rate will be applied to all mobile shipments imported into India. **

Although i am not making sense here, we need to find a jugaad to get the phones now. I know pro govt people will tell we should give taxes and customs but my opinion is not that. I am ready to give duty as long as it is reasonable. Also very clever of this chor govt to increase taxes and customs of things in demand or compulsory (Set top box) :mad:
Not being sarcastic or demeaning anyone here but salaried and family people on TE will understand how difficult it is to support a family, these things made little difference when i was a bachelor since i paid part rent, most of the salary was for personal expenses and i could easily forgo some expenses based on my income and what i need and want. But now with family, the equation changes and for worse.
Btw i read petrol prices increased again and my wife had asked if we can buy a car, i could only say not possible because it is simply not economically feasible for my salary, possibly the dream will always remain unfulfilled like it happened with my dad :|

Important updates and new additions to your service

Dear Customer,

It's turning out to be an exciting year for PPObox with many new updates to our service and additional addresses for your PPOBox service.

Some important updates you need to be aware of are:
  • Lower prices on volumetric charges from PPOBox
  • Indian govt. revision of customs duty charges for mobiles
  • Coming soon... PPOBox China!!
  • New PPOBox service from the UK
  • New PPOBox New Jersey address
READ MORE BELOW

Please take a few mins.
to fill out a brief survey about our service. Your feedback is important to us. Help us, help you!:

Lower Volumetric charges - 30% lower!

Earlier this year PPObox revised rates on volumetric charges for all shipments. If you haven't shipped with us in a while, check-out our calculator for new volumetric that re up to 30% lower!!

Revision of Customs Duty on Mobiles - 7%

As of March 1, 2013 the Government of India has revised rates for the import of Mobile phones. The new rate is 7%. This rate will be applied to all mobile shipments imported into India.

Back