PC Peripherals Problems with my new build

Apex said:
Any more ideas on how to reduce the temps?? Its touching 90C-95C on full load. :S After applying the fanfix, the fan speed will always remain on 50% no matter what. It won't even try and increase the speeds even on full load. IMO, the fanfix is a good solution for keeping the idle temps down but not so while playing. Will adding another case fan help? If yes, where? how? :p

i dont think adding another fan will help gpu temps much
mx-2 would be a much better idea :)

mx2/any thermal paste could be a good option. coz the 4850's have a history of poor TIM application. most of the cards in the market have left the factories wiht too much TIM on the chip.. too much TIM means that the TIM cannot conduct heat as well as it should..

a coupla things you can do would be,

1 shift the hdd a coupla notches above or below its current position.

2 try and clear the wire clutter at the rear end of the card.

the two fans you have,, main intake and exhaust.. are they those cm 70cf 18db (or somewhat similarly ridiculously rated fans) ?

coz afaik they surely dont push as much air as the claim.

if someone can post here nd tell you about how they compare with the GT120 it would be a good comparison. the gt120 pushes a LOT of air. you should get it for some 250 bucks max.

adding a gt120 should be in lieu of one of the existing fans... dont try to literally ADD one more fan.. your case is sorta small and it already has a sufficient quantity, though i cant comment on the quality, of fans

ps- try running your comp with the side panel removed and check if it makes any difference to the temps.

^^not a fan fix.... you have to apply it manually

they keep the fan running slow so that it makes less noise...but you can increase yourself

it was the same case with 38xx series too

sTALKEr said:
mx2/any thermal paste could be a good option. coz the 4850's have a history of poor TIM application. most of the cards in the market have left the factories wiht too much TIM on the chip.. too much TIM means that the TIM cannot conduct heat as well as it should..
Hmm...won't removing the stock cooler and applying MX-2 void the warranty? Besides, I don't think it will help much...may drop temps by 2C-3C but I don't think its worth all the trouble. :p

sTALKEr said:
a coupla things you can do would be,

1 shift the hdd a coupla notches above or below its current position.
2 try and clear the wire clutter at the rear end of the card.

Well, I can do that but I'm thinking of getting a new HDD soon. What happens then?

sTALKEr said:
the two fans you have,, main intake and exhaust.. are they those cm 70cf 18db (or somewhat similarly ridiculously rated fans) ?
coz afaik they surely dont push as much air as the claim.

Yup, those are the same "ridiculously rated" CM fans. I couldn't find the GlacialTech fans plus they produce too much noise while these CM fans are silent. :p

sTALKEr said:
ps- try running your comp with the side panel removed and check if it makes any difference to the temps.

That helped...dropped the temps by 5C at idle and ~7C at load but I can't run the PC with the side panel removed all the time. I gotta find a better way to lower the temps. :eek:hyeah:

i_max2k2 said:
I was wondering, wasn't the latest catalyst drivers supposed to do the fan fix, has that not been done yet?

Nope...they din't. :no: I don't think drivers will be able to cure this bug, they'll need to come up with a new BIOS update. Some people have already made changes to their 4850 BIOS settings with good results.

Tools such as RivaTuner etc. can help as well once they start supporting the 4800 series. :hap2:

The new drivers dont do much at 2D idle clock. But they do keep the load temps at bay by increasing fan speed if temps go above 75-80C. But thats on HD4870. No idea about how 4850 behaves with 8.7

The thermal paste application on the 4850 which I had with me for few days was absolutely horrible. You better reset the heatsink using MX2, it made a significant difference in my temps. And you don't have to be saint to tell distributors that you removed heatsink :p

Shripad said:
The new drivers dont do much at 2D idle clock. But they do keep the load temps at bay by increasing fan speed if temps go above 75-80C. But thats on HD4870. No idea about how 4850 behaves with 8.7

The thermal paste application on the 4850 which I had with me for few days was absolutely horrible. You better reset the heatsink using MX2, it made a significant difference in my temps. And you don't have to be saint to tell distributors that you removed heatsink :p

exactly what i meant. we'r not asking you to apply mx2 for the 2C diff in temps.. but asking you to reseat ur hs coz the original factory application has been done in a very very shoddy manner. that in itself if going to affect ur temps.

Back