OC & Modding Project Kraken : Water Cooled Monstrosity (Worklog)

ronnie_gogs

Morphing from a Geek to a Nerd
Skilled
Code Name : Project Kraken

This is going to be the most expensive rig for me. Every part has been selected after considering all possible options available. It took a lot of time and well money. So here is a teaser for all you guys in text :bleh: . Picture of each individual component would follow this.

Parts bought now
Core Parts
Processor
- i7 3.5 Ghz 3770K (3 Years warranty) (Need a stable 4.6 Ghz with water cooling)
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH (Was launched a 2 weeks back here, 2 Thunder bolt ports also I needed a black and blue motherboard so formula was out of picture)
Also I plan to build a Hackintosh + PC
Maximus Formula was out of consideration due to
• Driver issue with Mountain Lion
• Color is Black and Red
• No native thunderbolt
Ram - G.Skill Trident 2400 Mhz 2 x 8 Gb = 16 GB (I dont think I need to say anything about them. They cost a bomb compared to the 2133 Mhz 16 Gb)
Power Supply - Seasonic X-Series 1050 Watts 80 Plus Gold (Hybrid Power Gold Seasonic enough said)
Graphics Card - Leadtek 680 GTX (Asked for the cheapest 680 GTX reference as I needed to install water block – What I like is that I got a warranty of 3 years on this compared to 2 years for MSI and Palit)

Storage
SSD - OCZ Vertex 4 128 GB (5 Years warranty and Max IOPS latest and one of the best)
Hard Disk - 2TB WD Green (Just a scratch disk)

Cabinet - NZXT Switch 810 Full Tower White (Love this cabinet, huge and I can fit my 2 dual loop water cooling inside it, also it comes at a fraction of the price of an 800D or TJ07)
Keyboard - Corsair K90 Mechanical Keyboard (Love the look and feel choose this as I liked it better than the Black Widow)
Optical Drive – A LG DVD Writer (Cheapest thing in the rig love it)

Oh almost forgot :lol:
Monitor‘s’: 3 x Asus 23” VS239H (1080p, IPS, LED Backlit) (Nvidia Surround)

Pending Parts (Ordered but due to arrive)
Water Cooling Parts
Swiftech APOGEE HD
(I know EK might have been better but I needed one to go with my color plan white, black and blue)
Swiftech MCP655 X 2 (Dual Loop)
FrozenQ Liquid Fusion T-Virus 250 ml Reservior UV Blue
Primo Flex White Tubing 3/8 ID and 5/8 OD 10 feet
UV Kit

Parts not ordered yet but have to get soon
140 x 3 = 420 Radiator (CPU and RAM)
120 x 2 = 240 Radiator or a 140 Radiator
GPU Water block
Ram Water Block
Another Reservoir (undecided on how I want them to look like as I don’t want 2 T Virus loops)
Mod Kit for the 2 MCP655 to make them look awesome
Compression Fittings (Monsoon maybe)
Koolance Quick Disconnects
More fittings 45 Degree fittings, 90 Degree, SLI fitting if I get another 680 GTX
Fans
Thermal paste (Duh)
Fan Controller plus temp monitor
Speakers (Swans 1080 Version IV as I don’t like Multi Speakers systems)

Parts which I might upgrade later (Not sure)
Another GTX 680 (SLI)
Another 128 GB Vertex 4 for Raid 0
Sound Card but I use a DAC so I am not sure I would buy one
More RAM - Maybe go for a total of 32 GB 4 x 8GB
Flight simulator controller + Racing wheel controller

Damages: I am bleeding dry now so don’t ask please: P

- - - Updated - - -

Reserve Test

Monstrosity - aptly named. Will be watching this space. Do upload some pics too though.

PS: Do you plan to use the monitors in a 5760 x 1080 configuration or a 3240 x 1920 configuration (horizontal or vertical)?

Monitors will be in horizontal orientation as the monitors do not have pivot option... Will have to go for aftermarket mounting for vertical orientation ...

I've read at many places (and seen in videos too) that vertical orientation in a multi-monitor setup is the best for gaming; though not necessarily for browsing and text since there is a brightness difference in some cases across the screen when viewed from top to bottom in a vertical configuration.

Guess we will have to see about that... Let me set it up first... A sample pic as I am on mobile now ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346060903.794249.jpg

Monitors will be in horizontal orientation as the monitors do not have pivot option... Will have to go for aftermarket mounting for vertical orientation ...

Monitor Orientation - R U Krazy - it has to be "Trapezoidal !!!" ....... for a 360 degree world view :errwer:

EVEN THE "GODS" WILL BE WATCHING THIS SPACE:bounce:

So finally the pics...

Batch 1 Core Components

Processor 3770K

Untitled by ronnie_gogs, on Flickr

Ram Trident 2 x 8gb = 16 gb

The motherboard Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH

Graphics Card Leadtek 680 GTX

Power Supply Seasonic Gold 1050 Watts
7 Years warranty :D

- - - Updated - - -

Batch 2 Storage

SSD

2Tb Green

- - - Updated - - -

Batch 3 Cabinet

NZXT Switch 810 ... Love this case

- - - Updated - - -

Batch 4 Accessories

Corsair K90

In dark

DVD Writer :p

- - - Updated - - -

Batch 5 Monitors

So clearing all doubts about setup... This is how I intend to set them up for now

Monitor is VS239H-P which has 5 ms response time
http://usa.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/VS239HP/#specifications

Outstanding pic's @ronnie_gogs..... Amazing lighting too (from ur Canon PowerShot SX110 IS)...wow

Go Man... GO

Have you sourced all of these things locally (incl your pending parts/parts not ordered) ?

Looking forward (in the coming days/weeks ) to your detailed step-by-step build ?

Last edited by a moderator:
@ronnie_gogs: My oh my!! This will be one one amazing build, every bit drool worthy. Will definitely be watching this thread. :eek:hyeah:

Btw, I still remember years ago when I joined TE there was a WC build on a CM690 case (might I add it was/is one of my favorite cases of all time) and I used to keep going back to the thread to see the rig and the awesome lighting it had, not to mention the WC inside. Correct me if I'm wrong but if my memory serves me right... it was your rig right?

Fantastic rig coming up there :)

Good thing you didn't go with EK (While the issue was with their nickel plated blocks, the way they dealt with it lost all respect I had for them.)

@ronnie_gogs: My oh my!! This will be one one amazing build, every bit drool worthy. Will definitely be watching this thread. :eek:hyeah:

Btw, I still remember years ago when I joined TE there was a WC build on a CM690 case (might I add it was/is one of my favorite cases of all time) and I used to keep going back to the thread to see the rig and the awesome lighting it had, not to mention the WC inside. Correct me if I'm wrong but if my memory serves me right... it was your rig right?

Although I did a CM 690 build it was not liquid cooled...

http://www.techenclave.com/overclocking-n-modding/project-dark-knight-pic-intensive-52802/ pics won't work as the hosting site closed down
@stalker what was the issue with EK I am not aware of that

Back