PS3 Jailbreak - Discussion Thread

TL;DR. What does it mean to the average user?

Basically. We have to wait months for a new CFW and even if a CFW arrives it will have no peek n poke. The sign that he is talking about cannot be decrypted for now. So i guess the users who are waiting for a CFW can opt for TB for now to enjoy the latest games. It might even take a year because this time sony has taken all possible precautions.

has anybody

Anybody tried ps3-cfw hack for CFW 4.0. Is it fake or working...
<

It's Friday so I know you're looking for a typo. Have no fear however, there is none as it does indeed say that package files can now be installed on OFW 4.00. Of course, the catch here is that you need to be able to downgrade your PS3 to 3.55 (via E3, etc.), a second hard drive and it only allows the installation of retail signed packages. Now with that being said, let's get into setting it up.
  1. Downgrade to 3.55 using the downgrade tools from e3 (Of course when downgrading to 3.55 make sure you use a different hdd than the hdd which you were using 4.00)
  2. Once booted back into the xmb, turn off the console.
  3. Swap hard drives turn on the system, press the PS button and you will be asked to reinstall the firmware.
  4. Place the pup file from the e3 downgrade tools in the normal PS3/UPDATE usb folder and follow the on-screen instructions to reinstall the firmware.
  5. Then install dev_blind.pkg & Blackb0x FTP from install packages.
  6. Run dev_blind then BlackB0x and FTP into the console.
  7. Go to /dev_blind, delete everything and replace them with the customised dev_flash
  8. Press the PS button and the console should reboot and and ask to reinstall the firmware again. Switch off the console and swap the hard drive back.
  9. Turn on the console, press the PS button twice.
  10. The console should boot back into 3.55 Rogero.
  11. Go to System Update and install 4.00 OFW.
  12. Once installed, turn the console off again and swap hard drives back and you should boot into a modified 4.00 retail firmware.

Dunno why the 10 was repeated 3 times. Anyways, after all of this, you will be able to install retail signed packages.
Ps3 Dash Hacks.

LOL! If they can downgrade to 3.55, then won't they stay on it, instead of upgrading to 4.00 just to get the 'Install PKG' option?
<

guys, i might be going on a hunt to find a 3.55 ps3, and the best option i think is to go to croma as they sometimes have consoles from the old inventory.. so what mfg date to look for, if i want one with 3.55 or lower..?

tia

Reading over at multiple websites news comes that a new debug firmware 4.01 has been leaked to the masses. No changelog has been released yet but I'm sure that will follow once some developers catch wind of this new firmware update. With that said one does wonder when a retail firmware update will be released. For those who do not know this firmware is for test/debug developer PlayStation 3's and not the retail machines we the public own.

Source- psxscene.

Today PlayStation 3 developer Andreas Oman has officially released Showtime PS3 Media Player version 3.4.

True Blue v2.5Update Released.
True Blue, the dongle which has been at the center of controversy lately, has a new firmware for those sporting it. The new v2.5 firmware is a "game compatibility" update which will add support for the rest of games requiring v3.60+ to play. On top of that, the new firmware will be prepping for the eventual release of the 4.01 firmware which is currently in debug testing.

The v2.5 firmware is more of a hotfix, as opposed to a full fledged update and thus, will require the previous v2.0 firmware already flashed to the dongle in order for it to be installed. You can grab both from True Blue's website below.

With the dongle already making way for 4.0+ support, will it eventually move to a position where it's in a league of its own? Or will clones such as the JB-King get up and running and be able to deliver the competition? There's only one way to find out.

- Ps3dashhacks

When can we expect the firmwares >3.55 like 3.75 to be hacked, any approx time, my frend desperately wants a ps3 on 3.55 but i am not getting any offers for it.

Back