Queries related to passport

@terence_fdes What problem exactly with your daughter's application did you face? AFAIK, walk in is allowed for minors. Not entirely sure though.

Do I have to fill up her form too online/upload eform?

I Do not understand the following [option chosen by me is in italics]
1] Validity Required (For minors between 15 and 18)
10 years
Up to age 18
Not Applicable
[What do I chose - she is 12 yrs old..... I want her passport to be valid till the age of 18, whereas they say this is applicable "For minors between 15 and 18"]
I chose up to age 18

Why are the following fields there for a 'minor'
1] Marital Status...... I chose single
2] Employment ..... I chose student
3] Educational Qual
- If "Between 6th & 9th is chosen" then automatically the ECR status becomes "NO" ........ so does this necessitate a certificate from the EC Officials [Emmigration]

Last edited by a moderator:
@terence_fdes Yes.. You can fill her form and upload it online. I believe even for walk in applicants, you will need to fill and submit the online application.
In order to facilitate submission of passport applications at Passport Seva Kendras, some types of services such as ‘Tatkaal’ and issuance of Police Clearance Certificates and some categories of applicants such as senior citizens, minors and differently-abled persons are allowed to submit their duly registered online applications with ARN number as Walk-in applicants. Applicants falling under these categories are also required to register their applications online and obtain ARN number and visit the nearest Passport Seva Kendra at their convenience (no prior appointment required).
The above is taken from the general advisory given in the website. http://www.passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/pdf/Advisory.pdf

1. Validity required: Choose not applicable. Minor passports are valid for 5 years or up to 18 years, whichever is earlier. However, minors applicants between age 15 and 18 can choose between validity of 10 years or up to age 18. Hence this field.
I am a minor who is 16 years old. Is it possible for me to obtain a full validity passport of 10 years?
A: Minors between 15 to 18 years of age can apply either for a 10-year validity passport or they can apply for a passport, which is valid till they attain the age of 18 years. Fee for a 10-year validity passport is higher than fee for a passport, which is valid till they attain the age of 18 years.
A 10-year validity passport cannot be issued to applicants without police verification on submission of parent's passport. If passport is required on an urgent basis, they can apply under Tatkaal scheme.
http://passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/online/faqServicesAvailable
2. Was wondering about the same.. Why fields like marital status, employment, etc for minors. Ideally, they should have customized the form for minors. As of now, I think it is safe to fill as you have mentioned.
3. Anyone with education less than 10th std will be considered as ECR category. However, for minors, it is non-ECR by default. Once they attain age 18, they will need to apply for re-issue of passport, and at that time, should produce documentary evidence for non-ECR status.

@terence_fdes
Yes.. You can fill her form and upload it online. I believe even for walk in applicants, you will need to fill and submit the online application.

I realised that there were to many querries in filling up the eform (offline), so I chose the 'online' form for my daughter [which is slightly easier .... as in, if you fill up any field wrongly, you are immediately notified of the error, or there are footnotes/links (which also helped sort out the non-ECR status as you rightly mentioned below in #3)]

2. Was wondering about the same.. Why fields like marital status, employment, etc for minors. Ideally, they should have customized the form for minors. As of now, I think it is safe to fill as you have mentioned.

Hope they sort this out ? Another thing I realised is that the main field for applicant's address is restricted to ONLY 37 chars - which I think is far too little. Whereas the field for "emergency contact" is more than adequate.

3. Anyone with education less than 10th std will be considered as ECR category. However, for minors, it is non-ECR by default. Once they attain age 18, they will need to apply for re-issue of passport, and at that time, should produce documentary evidence for non-ECR status.
[/QUOTE]

Err... I think I had to chose non-ECR manually (default is ECR if 6th to 9th is chosen ..... my daughter is in the 7th). I also confirmed the above in their footnotes and chose 'non-ECR' manually.

SO THE FIRST STAGE IS DONE
Secured appointments for myself, wife & daughter on 02/07/13 at the Andheri PSK (daughters was booked this morning at 08:26 am).

@raksrules .... It appears that Mumbai now has NO time limitations to do your booking/scheduling of 'appointment' & proceeding with payment. You can do this 24x7.

@terence_fdes

Yes indeed I was able to go till the page where I can take the appointment. I just tried. Now I will keep trying daily at random times. I hope this stays and is not a bug from their side to keep booking open entire day.

Ok so it seems now the appointments can be taken at any time and not a specific time for a specific city (12 PM, 3 PM etc), it might not be 24 Hours but still for the whole day, it seems. Only time will tell.
I just tried and i was getting appointment for 04th July. So this means i have to keep on trying and make payment when i get the date i want.
Also yes you can see the DATE before you make the payment which is good, but once you are start the payment process, the appointment will get booked automatically so proceed only after checking the date (no time displayed).

Apart from that i have couple of queries..

My wife needs to change her name (after marriage name), endorse my name, change signature, change address to mine. I checked the document advisor on the passport website and found that mandatory documents are..

1. Old Passport and self attested copies of first and last pages.
2. Marriage Certificate
3. Proof of Address

The first 2 things are sorted, but about the 3rd thing, my wife does not have her Adhaar card yet. One of the documents listed as

Spouse's passport copy (First and last page including family details), (provided the applicant's present address matches the address mentioned in the spouses passport)

I can give her my passport as spouse's passport but i am unable to understand the the thing i have highlighted in RED. I am providing my passport because i want them to use my passport's address to change address in her's. But the statement mentions the applicant's present address should match the address mentioned in spouse's passport. Totally confusing.

Apart from this, i am planning to get my wife's endorsed in my passport done on the same day when i plan to get her passport details changed to. So say i take appointment before her (same day preferably), when i give my passport to the officer there then how will i be able to use the same passport (which supposedly should be now cancelled since my appointment was before) to use as proof for her.

Or should i just get mine done before her on a separate day and after i get the new passport with her name endorsed, i take appointment for her and get her details updated ?

Sorry for the long post.

Spouse's passport copy (First and last page including family details), (provided the applicant's present address matches the address mentioned in the spouses passport)
I can give her my passport as spouse's passport but i am unable to understand the the thing i have highlighted in RED. I am providing my passport because i want them to use my passport's address to change address in her's. But the statement mentions the applicant's present address should match the address mentioned in spouse's passport. Totally confusing.

Pretty much straightforward, I guess. Suppose you stay at X which is printed in your passport, your wife's address in her passport right now is Y; you want your wife's address to be changed to X too, then you can use your passport as proof of address. If you want your wife's address to be changed to something else, say Q, it cannot be used. I know it might sound stupid on second thought - everyone knows the proof of address document should bear the current address -but that is how it is. :p

@logistopath

Thanks for the explanation. That works.
Now what about the 2nd part ?

Say this is the situation.. My appointment at 10 AM and my wife's appointment at 11 AM on the very same day.

1. I go inside to get my passport details changed, endorse my wife's name in my passport, so i take marriage certificate too. Now do those people take away my existing passport and give me only along with the new passport ? Or they just give me the passport back, now supposedly CANCELLED.
2. Now if i do get my passport back then and there CANCELLED can i still use that for my wife as a proof of address for her ?

Sorry if i am complicating things.

@logistopath

............ Say this is the situation.. My appointment at 10 AM and my wife's appointment at 11 AM on the very same day.

Each PSK has a kinda "customer-desk" where all such doubts and parallel tasks should be explained. I guess they will then tell you how to proceed :happy:

I am proceeding with my wife & daughter on this Tuesday - let's see if I can Club all of us together [My appmt is at 10:15, the missus at 11 & daughter at 11:15]

@logistopath

Thanks for the explanation. That works.
Now what about the 2nd part ?

Say this is the situation.. My appointment at 10 AM and my wife's appointment at 11 AM on the very same day.

1. I go inside to get my passport details changed, endorse my wife's name in my passport, so i take marriage certificate too. Now do those people take away my existing passport and give me only along with the new passport ? Or they just give me the passport back, now supposedly CANCELLED.
2. Now if i do get my passport back then and there CANCELLED can i still use that for my wife as a proof of address for her ?

Sorry if i am complicating things.

You would have to check with them for this as its complicated, call up the toll free number.
You get your passport back which is stamped 'cancelled'. My belief is that your wife would need your new active passport and not the cancelled one.

My Dad is retired PSU Bank official... What Shall I choose in following question :confused: "Is either of your parent (in case of minor)/spouse, a government servant?" ...

After verification of documents at counter c, cancelled would be stamped on your passport and you will be given your old passport on the spot.

Regarding using the document advisor, I would advice you to please carry all the documents you can think off, a pan card or bank statements (stamped by bank) , are best and are easy to get. They will take no excuse and pay no heed to what the document advisor says.

FYI aadhaar card cannot be used as a proof. At least not in delhi.

If you can get tickets booked (you can get then cancelled later) , I would suggest you to get it via tatkal for peace of mind. In many cases even during renewal the passport may come after 3-4 months.

Edit : you cannot use your passport as a proof after getting it cancelled.

Regarding using the document advisor, I would advice you to please carry all the documents you can think off, a pan card or bank statements (stamped by bank) , are best and are easy to get. They will take no excuse and pay no heed to what the document advisor says

Is the "Bank Statement" an absolute necessity ?
.....They will take no excuse and pay no heed to what the document advisor says......
Who is 'they' the TCS guys or the "sarkari babu's" ?

So they are free to "demand" other documents too (like the above bank statement).

- Reply urgently as my appointment is tomorrow :bawling:

Is the "Bank Statement" an absolute necessity ?
Who is 'they' the TCS guys or the "sarkari babu's" ?

So they are free to "demand" other documents too (like the above bank statement).

- Reply urgently as my appointment is tomorrow :bawling:

There are free to demand even colonoscopy reports if they wish. The TCS Guys and the babu's at counter C can demand multiple proofs . Bank statement is not a necessity but since he had no address proof for passport , getting address changed in bank records using Spouse's/father's or mother's proof is easier .

Anyone knows what is the FROM and TO time between which we can book the appointments ? I just tried and it says "Maximum number of appointments exceeded for the day." and believe it is just because of the timing. I shall keep checking every half an hour or so and see. If anyone gets any more info, please post here.

Regarding using my cancelled passport for my wife's details changes in her passport, i shall not be using it now.
But she does have a bank account in ICICI with her new name and signature and all. So what should i do to get the ICICI Bank statement as a proof ?
Like go to the bank, get a printout statement and tell them to stamp it or something ? Will that work well as address proof for her ? Remember that my passport does not come into picture.

Btw @terence_fdes, since you have already made the payment online, now only task remains for you probably is to go to the PSK and submit documents and get the processing started. So after you are done with all, please come back and report us as to how it went and what all was the process, like Line A, Line B etc. Whatever it is.

@raksrules Yes.. A statement of accounts from the bank should work fine. The statement has to be for the past 1 year though. And, to be on the safer side, affix your wife's photograph on the statement in the page where her account details are visible, and ask the bank officials to attest it too.

Then statement will not work for now. The account was opened just 2 months back. Damn. I will get her details updated later only after mine is done fine.

Btw still getting error while booking appointment, so not sure if they have reverted back to the specific timing of the day or not.

Back