Audio Random IEM / Headphone Rants

What's up with Monster? Right on the heels of Monster Tribute officially for $150, Amazon has a lightning deal for Trumpet at $199. If only I was in the US.... ($199 + shipping + import fees == not my cup of tea)

#strategy,

I am sure HE-6 will be nice with a vintage speaker amp. I usually like to have that flexibility i.e., the ability to use different IEMs / Headphones with the same setup. At worst, I can consider having a tube amplifier along side Burson (or it's upgrade) for variety. But, dedicated setup for one headphone freaks me out. If I have to do that, better do it with Stax than HE-6
<
. I think Hifiman will eventually release a less demanding successor to HE-6 sometime in the future. At that time, a dedicated setup would go for a toss. Another reason why I am hesitant about HE-6 is that unlike with IEMs, I do not want to collect headphones - one or at most 3 should be more than enough.

I have thoughts of getting T1 & LCD-2 rev 2 and may be upgrade / side-grade the source to Anedio D2. Plan to downsize and do something like that on the portable side too - may be NT6, K3003 (& if needed, a few backup IEMs for variety including a budget one) along with DX100 (or equivalent). As you can see, blue print is ready, money is the only problem - short by a few thousand dollars
<

I hate being short by a few thousand dollars too. Finally decided I can't manage both a portable solution and a desktop rig.

Keeping the HD-13 25 II for their reference qualities, much like how I felt the JH-13 were, and the other customs for a more musical experience.

Expensive hobby this!

#esanthosh

A good vintage speaker amp will have a good HP out as well .

Read the vintage gear thread on head-fi people are using their lcd2 and t1 with most of the sansui ans pioneers. My au999 drives the k702 better than mav d1 and and anedio d1(internal amp of d1). And this says a lot as both the d1s are praised specifically for the k702.

In fact I loved the sound of vintages soo much that I bought another vintage amp, one from pioneer, it will be here soon.

some rants on my shure SE215 as it started to show some colors, usually I don't burn my hps/iems for long only for first 2-3 days (thats my break-in concept) later on I really like the way they improve over time, it gives me goose-bumps, my s4i after a year gave me a performance I cannot forget!, ok this happened when I'm listening to iAudio U2 radio player, if I have to suggest radio player it would be from cowon and if it not for lack of ext memory capacity it would be iAudio series, coming back to the topic, Stereo Radio + SE215 is awesome experience, I felt like I'm sitting in a theatre! its been long time I touched mp3 player, after so many sansa clip posts, I had to charge my player and didn't surprised as it worked well, the radio in my Windows Phone (Focus) is bad (in India alone I guess) no use in using it, and iAudio delivered it. tell about your radio exp as well guys, how do you couple it with iems or hps or buds also with phone or dedicated player. Somehow I felt great using my shure 215 with radio player as it was able to deliver what I originally looked when buying it, my own mp3 collections just don't deliver, I don't know because I have overused the music, or not thrilled by music, I bought few from flipkart mp3 (good service, s#cks at download limit of 4) and download few more, still it was not great I thought se215 must be little disappointment but turning Radio on really surprised me it opened my rear eyes
<
there was so many variable sound moments (like Classical music) like in between ads they raise volume or the loop music played in between songs, etc, it started to show the colors of my IEM more than my own manual mp3 mode! if any of you guys not happy about your iem/hp I suggest to turn the radio & sound and see it

I have a query as well, there are some earbuds that surprised me like one that came with iAudio u2, good sound but not able to handle high volume started to rattle, Apple iPhone 1 & 4, many people will hate stock earbud particularly with Apple iPod, but I found these to be sounding excellent I would rate them above average, now since I got Samsung Focus, the earbud is terrific, sometime I feel very bad about it because it seems to outclass SE215 many times
<
so my doubt are these earbuds are just rebranded version of some of the good products like brainwavz or hippo etc, do you guys have any idea, or actually the biggies create them like Apple, Samsung, I also heard good things about Zune headphone you can check the reviews in amazon for them. I feel guilty at times to ditch these things just because they are 'stock' and buying exactly the same product again
<
with different logo/design?!

^^^ checking the link and reading my post above I can see it fits me perfectly!
<
I can't wait to share my excitement without realizing I'm a n00b here...

It's been more than a week since I touched anything related to audio. Wanted to try something I haven't used in a while and hence picked SM3 with Clip+. A couple of weeks ago, I tried SM3 out of iPod -> 2SD and found it too dark. I haven't tried it out of UHA-6S yet (even though I've owned both for months together now). Anyways, I think Clip+ is an ideal combo for SM3 - at least one reason why I can't part with that tiny thing. I thought I'd find SM3 odd listening to it after so long, but on the contrary, I don't mind it at all. May be it would be odd if I had recent memory of other IEMs.

Right now, I am listening to Tool's "10000 days" at -33dB on RB-ed Clip+. I distinctly remember that my listening volume for SM3 used to be around -20. Also, I have this crazy feeling that whenever I stop listening for a while (without sticking anything in or out of my ear), I could hear more in the treble region, at least I imagine so. I'd need a 100Hz stepped frequency sweep beyond 14Khz to test this theory, which I don't have right now.

Another recurring thought of late - May be one of these days, I am going to get sick and tired of all this stuff, dump everything and just quit this hobby!

Something interesting I found today: http://www.head-fi.org/t/601360/fischer-audio-dba-02-with-removable-cables#post_8231054

i am using tf10 + sflo2.

I want more clarity in lyrics (mids). They are still veiled (for me). Maybe because I just heard Dali Lektor with a tube amp and am trying to compare it with them. Any way this tf10 can sound more open, more lush (like more vibrato in vocals, more clarity in vocalist breathing in & out). Maybe it is too much to ask, but what can give me these things with minimal expense on pocket?

The mids are that way of the TF10, maybe get rid of the foam tips and use the silicone ones are the cheapest option, before you start looking at cable upgrades, which some people claim makes it better......haven't experimented too much with the TF10 personally though.

Try the double flange meelec ones if can get them from somewhere.

I'd need a 100Hz stepped frequency sweep beyond 14Khz to test this theory, which I don't have right now.

Hmm. See if the generators below help

http://tropicalcoder.com/AudioTestFileGen.htm

http://tropicalcoder.com/ASIOTestSigGen.htm

If you need a CD with tones and sweeps, download the Bink Test Audio CD (or its individual tracks). I used it to "burn-in" my IEMs, even though I'm not much of a believer in "burn-in"
<

http://binkster.net/extras.shtml

Another recurring thought of late - May be one of these days, I am going to get sick and tired of all this stuff, dump everything and just quit this hobby!

And deprive us of the wonderful experience of being voyeurs on your audio journey ? No way
<

But as always, for many, your equipment would be welcome on the classifieds
<

I just heard Dali Lektor with a tube amp and am trying to compare it with them.

Not fair. You just cannot compare IEMs to those awesome speakers
<

Any way this tf10 can sound more open, more lush (like more vibrato in vocals, more clarity in vocalist breathing in & out). Maybe it is too much to ask, but what can give me these things with minimal expense on pocket?

Hmm. The TF10's are known to have a V shaped response curve, ie. high in bass, low in mids, high in treble. The least expensive way to fix that
<
Do some equalization on the player; boost the mids and lower the bass & treble a little.

I want more clarity in lyrics (mids). They are still veiled (for me). Maybe because I just heard Dali Lektor with a tube amp and am trying to compare it with them. Any way this tf10 can sound more open, more lush (like more vibrato in vocals, more clarity in vocalist breathing in & out). Maybe it is too much to ask, but what can give me these things with minimal expense on pocket?

Simply put, No! If I understood your question correctly, you want to make a thick sounding BA IEM something it's not.

Hmm. See if the generators below help

http://tropicalcoder...TestFileGen.htm

http://tropicalcoder...OTestSigGen.htm

If you need a CD with tones and sweeps, download the Bink Test Audio CD (or its individual tracks). I used it to "burn-in" my IEMs, even though I'm not much of a believer in "burn-in"
<

http://binkster.net/extras.shtml

Thanks for the Sinewave generator link.

As for CDs, I have several options (Bink, Burn-in wave, customized CD with noise files and sweeps etc.,). But I have used only normal music to burn-in every IEM I have tried. My interest has been with frequency sweeps to judge how an IEM responds over the frequency range. The one I use most for the past couple of years has been Focal Audio Demo Disk #2, which I used back when I had the speaker setup running (At that time, I was a collector of test disks like Marantz, Usher, Chesky etc.,). It has individual tone files and broad sweeps. You cut those peaks and fill those dips (you can cut off excessive parts easily rather than bring up something that's not present) and viola! the IEM which sounded crap becomes somewhat decent.

And deprive us of the wonderful experience of being voyeurs on your audio journey ? No way
<

But as always, for many, your equipment would be welcome on the classifieds

That line was not written in haste. There are times in every hobby or even in life where we come to cross roads and stop to think. With my current set of IEMs, the payoff I get from 'upgraditis' is not that huge anymore i.e., I have to throw a lot of money to get something better. In addition, I have to be very careful where I put my money. It's no longer a gamble I can afford. DacMini CX and Burson HA-160 were gambles for bigger money and at the end of the day, I am left wanting more, something better. It's no longer a date, but more like a marriage (choice for life, messy if you choose to 'divorce' your equipment = heavy losses / difficulty finding a local buyer). Sometimes, you don't need that last mile of performance at all (like I don't need i7 rig if all I do is word, excel and browsing).

When you are head over heels for hobbies, you blindly collect. Then, you look around and find a laptop, a PC, two dedicated HTPCs - one for Movie and another for music. You have a full 3D home theater, then a headphone setup and then plenty of variety within the portable/transportable setup. On top of that, time gets precious and power is unavailable. Which hobby do you pursue when you are left with a total of three hours in the night (with two one hour power cuts in between) when you are tired, sweating and just want to sleep? Truth is nothing gets used on most days. FWIW, I am increasingly finding it difficult to force myself to stick something inside my ear too!

Now I am not saying I am getting out completely. Once you are used to A/c, it's hard to go back to the days when you could lay down on the floor with a power cut with a candle in the corner and still find sleep. But, I am thinking loud about what I am doing - just like I stopped the bi-annual ritual of upgrading PCs a few years ago and kept what I have for years together with only the necessary upgrades. That stage did not come about when PCs were under-powered compared to what I need, but when they became more powerful than what was demanded of them. Probably I am going to be slowing down in audio as well - fewer, better, well spaced out, well thought through buys. Even then, I have too much lying around idle, unused, occupying space, but still needs careful storage all the same. In the last 1-2 years of ownership, I have hardly used Alessandro MS1i or HRT MS2 for instance, but yet I cannot reclaim space that the Grado occupies in my headphone-cum-portable shelf. I have used Brookstone Clear Dual Drivers twice in the last 6 months of ownership. I have not even switched on ZO2 v3 since the day it arrived post the initial testing. I have been meaning to sell HM5 since the second day of listening, but have not been able to. The list goes on...

I am also bored writing about audio. I'm not even sure if my rants are useful to people. There's one review I am working on for a month and a half which is only 40% complete
<

Herro again.

Since I use sflo2, there is 5 band equalizer (60hz, 300h, 1khz, 3k, 6k), each with -10 to +10 db.

What should be my eq settings for tf10?

First one is a low pass filter up-to 60Hz, the last one is a highs' filter which takes control after 6Khz. That's a bit insane if you ask me. It would have been ideal if it had 10Khz band.

Vocals generally get an uplift if 2Khz has a bump. If the middle three bands work like I guess they do then, start with these settings and fine-tune to your liking (lower the first and last, up the middle three)

60Hz : 0

300Hz : 0

1Khz : +2

3Khz : +1

6Khz : -1

Update once you have something to your tastes
<

@esanthosh FWIW, I completely agree with your saying. Work and other pressures of life takes a toll on each and every one of us. Its been almost a month since I've purchased the HD600. I had fallen in love with them last year when I had bought one for you and was wanting to pick up one when a good deal came my way. I finally found a seller who was willing to let it go for a trade with one of my other gears. But since the time I've gotten it, I've hardly spent even an hour listening to them. I even have an RSA Protector lying around(bought for strategy) but I haven't had the time to listen to it. My TF10s have gone for remolding for over a month(don't even miss it much) so the only iem I have right now is the SM3 which suits my needs perfectly. I wonder sometimes why do I even need another pair of iems. The only logical explanation I can think of is that I need them as a backup incase something happens to my SM3(I'm sure you have a lot of backups of backups of backups). I cannot even use that same justification for the headphones I have lying around. I'm not that anal about using the right kinda headphone with the right genre of music anymore like I used to be before. Grados were for rock and live performances, d5k and hd25-1 II are for EDM, I still don't know where the HD600 fits in. Nowadays I listen to whatever headphones are around.

But I'm still not done. I'm still not gonna leave the hobby/poison/obsession whatever you might wanna call it simply cause I want to complete that last mile and not leave it half way. And that last mile is one muhF#$@in expensive patch that must be crossed.

#bennysachdev,

I am still thinking aloud about that 'end game'. Truth is there is no 'end' in this game. We are chasing after a moving target
<

I once thought that custom IEMs are the end game. But, over the past few months, I have seen people either add more customs or come back to collecting more universals. Same with headphones - even if I buy T1, I would still be intrigued by Stax.

It's more like money - you just keep moving from one tier to the next. At the lower tier, you think getting XYZ (a few lakhs / custom IEM) should make you better. Once you step up, you start finding people who have been there, done that and have moved on. May be in the eyes of a few others, you may belong to a 'niche' group; but you do not feel any special because while you may do a lot better than many, you are not alone or special within the new peer group. In the end, you only springboard from fulfilling one dream to chasing the next.....

Getting back to IEMs, for those who are looking for analytical / neutral IEMs, keep an eye out for reviews of VSonic GR01.

For those who have not heard / followed, I would recommend MuppetFace's Diary. It's in the general section, but MP has been among the handful of sane people I care to read up on head-fi. Check out her profile and calculate how much you need to amass that amazing inventory
<

On top of that, time gets precious and power is unavailable. Which hobby do you pursue when you are left with a total of three hours in the night in between two one hour power cuts when you are tired, sweating and just want to sleep? Nothing gets used on most days. FWIW, I am increasingly finding it difficult to force myself to stick something inside my ear too!

Now I am not saying I am getting out completely. Once you are used to A/c, it's hard to go back to the days when you could lay down on the floor with a power cut with a candle in the corner and still find sleep.

Yeah, the power situation in India just sucks. At your end, TN seems to be going through a crisis, and here at Bangalore we're now being treated to 4 hrs 'load-shedding'. My friends tell me that in many Karnataka villages, 'load shedding' is 6 hours or more . Why the state & central governments are just sitting around doing nothing is beyond me
<

I am also bored writing about audio. I'm not even sure if my rants are useful to people. There's one review I am working on for a month and a half which is only 40% complete

I think you're asking the wrong question. Useful ? I'd think yes at times
<
But the question to be asked is "Are my rants interesting to people?"
<
Damn yes, pretty interesting. I think a great many people here are also grateful for the advise you dole out here.

I am still thinking aloud about that 'end game'. Truth is there is no 'end' in this game. We are chasing after a moving target

I once thought that custom IEMs are the end game. But, over the past few months, I have seen people either add more customs or come back to collecting more universals. Same with headphones - even if I buy T1, I would still be intrigued by Stax.

It's more like money - you just keep moving from one tier to the next. At the lower tier, you think getting XYZ (a few lakhs / custom IEM) should make you better. Once you step up, you start finding people who have been there, done that and have moved on. May be in the eyes of a few others, you may belong to a 'niche' group; but you do not feel any special because while you may do a lot better than many, you are not alone or special within the new peer group. In the end, you only springboard from fulfilling one dream to chasing the next.....

I think that's a true statement. Its very difficult to be satisfied with our 'materialistic' pursuits, and the statement would also apply to other fields: knowledge, gearheads (cars) etc.

Once you've reached a level of satisfaction, I think its more useful to concentrate on music than equipment. For eg, I have reached some level of satisfaction with my STX. I always keep wondering if there's a better DAC/SoundCard out there, but truth be told I think I'd have a difficult time distinguishing between the Essense STX and my previous Xonar DX in a blind test.

Lot of people have been searching for Brainwavz M2 of late. Hope at least one of them reads this thread too!

Brainwavz M2 is available on pre-order for $49.50 from MP4Nation with free FedEx shipping to select countries (not sure if India is included) till next Monday (26/3/12).

At that price, M2 is a very good deal. I guess PristineNote is getting stock soon (remember reading that 2.9-3.2K price range is likely), but those who can't wait can take advantage of the current deal.

Of course, every one is free to try their luck in Joker's thread : Giveaway: at least a dozen entry-level earphones

Back