Audio Random IEM / Headphone Rants

santhoshr

Disciple
Nov 17, 2011
Chennai
santhoshr.posterous.com
Congratulations santhoshr.........now for a mini-review/comparison with your old SE215.
<
definitely as you all as of now, I can't wait to share the revelations! Will do as time pass by. As of now all I can hear is pure Voice very well complemented by the instruments around the vocals much like my desktop speaker M-Audio AV40 (thats the thing I love about it, great vocal performance). I don't know whether Denon is culprit or ear sealing (I tried my best to fit as I already got exp with SE215) the bass is nothing to write about, it is there that's it
<
one thing I can see is it is very hard to find faults or find greatness!, even though the sound isn't spectacular, the clarity is great particularly for the vocals, but nothing to boast about like sound stage or bass or treble.

siddharth.beam

Disciple
Mar 3, 2012
I think this audiophile fever has caught me its not even a month i am now planning to get better audio equipment than i already have few month ago i purchased soundmagic E10i for my note then after a month i was not satisfied by audio Quality from note .then i purchased fiio E11 but it was not that of an upgrade i was expecting it just make my IEM louder . but with my Nintendo 3ds it was a perfect combo . & then few day later my thirst for audio was little bit out of control & which lead me to purchase audio technica M35 planning to go for m50 but due to unavailability i have to go with m35.& here is where my addiction is uncontrollable
<
after few day of wait i ordered asus xonar Essence st , cowon j3 sennheiser HD650 & last but not the least Victor jvc fxt90 for my PMP.now i think i want more much more but the think which is holding is my Pocket to bear this bulk purchases.
<

santhoshr

Disciple
Nov 17, 2011
Chennai
santhoshr.posterous.com
I have experienced what you are going through, going nuts over audio nirvana, headphones are 'easier' passport for audio nirvana than conventional speakers, adding privacy, portability and great sound, but be careful when you are buying too many at the same time I can see you are also planning for Denon, now I'm finding difficult to dedicate my time either to D1100 or SE535, and there is also SE215...since I have different types it is somewhat easier, Denon is great way to boot your day with great bassy sound, I can use it all day and it got great comfort and SE535 comes alive at night..

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

I got confused between Sarath and Sidharth, that's why the talk about Denon, still rest of the points are valid :-D

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

esanthosh

Skilled
Jan 3, 2010
Coimbatore
You should ask #[member='bennysachdev'] about E17.

I only have DT880/600. While it can be 'used' with even portable players like RoCoo-P or portable amps like UHA-6S and 2SD (it's better with 2SD), I still feel that DT880 and HD600 deserve a proper headphone amplifier. I am not really sure how DT990/250 would work out though!

bennysachdev

Adept
May 5, 2009
"Is it a good idea" Yes, in the sense that something is better than nothing. But is it the best way. Not really. You'd be better off with a desktop dac/amp than a portable one when it comes to a 250ohm headphone. And that.......................would be a good idea
<

titana

Adept
Jan 14, 2008
New Delhi
I would recommend a desktop dac/amp too.

@anu0512: If possible try auditioning the new tube headphone amp from Lyrita audio. IIRC its sold for 12k.

While I personally haven't heard this amp but I had tried the DT880 with the headphone out of a Lyrita Pre and it sounded splendid.

esanthosh

Skilled
Jan 3, 2010
Coimbatore
Random finds of the day
  • LCD-2 has a new design. Not sure whether they would call it rev 3. No more metal head band and no more wooden box though, only leather band and a travel case. On the flip side, it would be lighter. Interesting!
  • VSonic GR01 review is out. It seems like a nicer option for those who like a smoother, laid back sound, but with a good resolution and clarity. Not my type though!
  • Even paying $20 for so-called Hi-resolution downloads won't save you from loudness wars. I was tempted once or twice in the last few months to get that album. Seems like procrastination and laziness can sometimes be rewarding.

anu0512

Adept
Oct 27, 2006
"Is it a good idea" Yes, in the sense that something is better than nothing. But is it the best way. Not really. You'd be better off with a desktop dac/amp than a portable one when it comes to a 250ohm headphone. And that.......................would be a good idea
123.gif

I'm using behringer micro am ha400 which I get with my headphone, So another opinion ?

I would recommend a desktop dac/amp too. @anu0512: If possible try auditioning the new tube headphone amp from Lyrita audio. IIRC its sold for 12k. While I personally haven't heard this amp but I had tried the DT880 with the headphone out of a Lyrita Pre and it sounded splendid.

I need portable amp buddy, honestly how big they are and they use 12 V adapter ?

esanthosh

Skilled
Jan 3, 2010
Coimbatore
Yesterday....

I've been using FX700 (iPod Video -> 2SD) a lot of late. While I am not a big fan of it's recessed lower mid range, I think it does have it's utility. When I listen to dynamically compressed albums, FX700 seems to be the only one that works well - creating an illusion of space and eliminating the awkwardness of everything being in your face. With Gojira's grand 4dB dynamic range, it is quite a task indeed. I was trying to find some new music and was trying out various genres. But the only thing that I ended up listening for more time was Martha Argerich's Solo works of Chopin. It's a Classical recording and obviously had plenty of dynamic range. FX700 did very well with Piano.

I've come across impressions that put FXT90 at 85-90% of FX700. I think this is where subjectivity of sound comes in. If you ask my subjective opinion, I'd say FX700 is in a different league. While my opinion of FXT90 is not far off say shotgunshane's impression, FX700 connects me to music via it's better transparency, open sound stage, refinement, the ability to portray that grandness via micro and macro dynamics, richness. FXT90 just does not measure up. FXT90 sounds good for the price range, but may not necessarily survive my next big clean-up whenever that might be.

Today...

Since 2SD's battery gave out mid way today and I had no spare battery, thought I'd try EX-1000 with Arrow 3G. I think EX-1000 does better with violins (This album). EX-1000 is very nimble, thin noted and is able to make me imagine the performance live, which the recessed mid range of FX700 could not do as well. At the end of the day, what matters is to be able to do that - close your eyes and enjoy music no matter how odd and disastrous your air violin playing or hand gesturing looks
<

I still wonder how AKG K3003 and FI-BA-SS would do in comparison. Someday I will....know..... hopefully without losing both kidneys!

Scary! In the last two listening sessions, I've started off with my usual staple of metal bands only to veer towards classical music and staying with it till the end. Scary because in the past, I was bored by the length of Classical music recordings and have always switched back to metal/other music quickly. I am either losing my mind or getting old or both.

#[member='Brendon'],

Here's a club for you to join
happy19.gif

Brendon

Skilled
Mar 21, 2005
^^ Ha ha, I haven't visited head-fi for a long time now. Been trying to save whats left of my thinning wallet !
<

But thats a club I wouldn't mind being a part off !
<
Thats why I love the MS II so much. Its not got the best resolution, nor the best bass but golly its soundstage performance is darn impressive.
<

esanthosh

Skilled
Jan 3, 2010
Coimbatore
Interesting blog post about IEM burn-in : The effect of break-in. It also links to 6 other pages with measurement.

Interesting take-aways:
  • Going purely by graphs (refer Tyll's automated measurements too), there is little audible change. All tests prove that something is changing over time, but also that the changes are milder by way of measurements.
  • If Tyll is right, temperature (external and heat generated due to continuously running the headphone) could have an impact on what we hear.
  • With headphones, ear pads settle over a few years changing the distance between driver and the ear. This could be perceived as burn-in too.
  • Most people observe changes in bass with burn-in, a phenomenon yet to be proven convincingly by measurements. One of the linked pages shows a dip in treble and change in bass, but then those are also marked as "unreliable".

Tyll summarizes a few things very well - something a burn-in agnostic like me would accept gladly.
Have I shown that break-in exists? No. I wish I could say the slowly descending IMD products is clear evidence ... but it's not. Who knows what that measurement represents. I do think, however, that if break-in is measurable, it would be this type of measurement that would show it. I'm pretty happy something showed up at all.

Have I shown that break-in doesn't exist and is not measurable? No. The slight changes around 9kHz on the CSD plots, and the significant change in IMD products over time do indicate that something is happening, and happening in a way that seems to me to be properly indicative of the things I've heard with break-in effects. I think the nay-sayers need to acknowledge something might be happening here.

The one thing I think I have proved, however, is that if break-in does exist, it is not a large effect. When people talk about night and day changes in headphones with break-in, they are exaggerating. This data clearly shows that the AKG Q701 --- a headphone widely believed to change markedly with break-in --- does not change much much over time.

My hiking boots break-in; my sneakers break-in, too. But my hiking boots aren't going to turn into sneakers over time. This idea that you simply must let headphones break-in before you know what they are going to sound like is a myth. And this data busts it.

I think there's a little more to the story, though.

Music is made of a multitude of frequencies. When the entire spectrum of music suffers from intermodulation distortion producing a sea of IMD products some 60dB down, I suspect it can be clearly audible. Reducing the level of this background crud 1 or 2 dB might certainly effect the subjective experience. I think it's extremely important to recognize that the perceptions of my measurement system in objective metrics may be on a completely different scale than that of the observer in the subjective experience.

How can you measure beauty?

The difference between a very good violin player and a truly great player is not objectively large. The devil is in the details; it's small subtleties that separate the two. So while the objectively measurable difference between the two players might be small, it may make the difference between an ecstatic and a merely pleasant listening experience to the human observer.

So, while headphones change little over time, their ability to deliver pleasure may improve markedly. Easily hearing the differences I've so often heard before 13 out of 15 times in a simple blind test proved to me this is a subtle, but important distinction.

... you can unbox you new headphones and have a listen without angst. You'll be hearing pretty much how they will forever sound. If you notice they're a bit irritating in the mid-treble, you might find that settles out somewhat with use and the headphones may deliver a mildly more pleasant listening experience.

If you do want to break-in your cans, I suggest pink noise at a slightly louder than normal listening level. If you don't have a pink noise track, just play music. If they sound lousy out of the box, but they start sounding a lot better as you listen to them over time, it's your amazingly versatile brain figuring out how to cope with the world.

The miracle is in your head ... not in the headphones.

esanthosh

Skilled
Jan 3, 2010
Coimbatore
For those with Rockboxed Clip+ as source, what is your normal listening volume? It's a slightly complicated question to answer because it would depend on the recording (Classical would require higher volume, compressed albums may need less), IEM used and whether you are listening outside or indoors. I am mostly interested in night time, quiet environment volume.

I have been using HJE900 for the last 2 days and what I find is that I can listen at -40dB with bands like Ikuinen Kaamos. From what I remember, I used to listen at -20 to -25 normally with a vast majority of IEMs and could go down to -32 levels, but only with certain IEMs like M2. HJE900 has been foam modded and fitted with the PFE tip and has been the same for the vast majority of the past 12-13 months. Also, all files are 320kbps MP3 (same as before).

From my HJE900 review written on 26th October, 2010 (14½ months ago)

They seem to do better with S9 than Clip+ and likewise at higher volumes than lower volumes. I have more FLACs in S9 and 320kbps files in Clip+. Not sure if this has anything to do with it. Low volume listening can be done if these are used for background listening (Rockboxed Clip+ at -28dB). But I like them better with more volume (like -22/-25dB).

Considering these are mostly background listening sessions (and not critical A:B sessions) and I am not listening to the same music, a margin of error of -3 or -4 might make sense. Even at this level of -40, I can hear most of the details though increasing the volume by 3dB makes it a little better. When I tried increasing the volume, I found that anything over -30 was too loud for me (typically -15 to -20 in those days, IIRC). With Opeth (something common in the playlist between then and now), I can listen 'Blackwater Park' at -34 (At -40, the first few seconds of 'Leper Affinity' went silent and hence the increase in volume). Also, I was listening to SM3 at -30 the other day when I had previously listened at -20. So I am not imagining things - at least not everything. Anybody else has experienced a drop in listening volumes over time? Is there any other factor I am overlooking?

esanthosh

Skilled
Jan 3, 2010
Coimbatore
After a leave of absence, insanity returns with a bang. I got both PL11 (from PN) and E10M (from SMC International) today in that order.

PL11 is exactly what I thought it would be - Punchy, but muddy, thick bass; Thick, warm and engaging mids; Treble which is a bit rolled off with a splashy character with quite possibly a bump around 5-6Khz, not much details or clarity, mostly a 3-blob sound stage, but with some (slight) depth perception from time to time. But, it does very well for the price, devoid of any harshness and I'd say I can use it as a 'throw-away' pair for travel. The bundled ear tips (I got only S,M,L silicones, no foams) were not that good. MEE shorter bi-flange gave me a better and consistent fit and seal. I quite liked NE6/NE-7m and I'd put PL-11 as it's equivalent in the next tier in my list - a safe, fatigue free pair, though they have their shortcomings.

Fast forward in time and I have a doppelganger of a packing. Does every SM IEM come in the same packing? But, E10 was something else coming directly off PL11. I wonder why it's not as famous in TE. Let's just say that it forced me to order the cheaper ES18 because it is said to have the same driver as E10. Could have saved on shipping charges had I known that earlier
sad.gif

Improvements coming from PL11 were all across - bass quality, extension, mid range clarity, details, treble and last but not the least, sound stage. E10 did something which is rare these days - got me excited for a while. I'd rate it among the better sets I've listened to in and around the price range of 2K. I am trying to prick my brain about Brainwavz M1 and M2 to see how I'll rate E10 in relation to those. Upon some listening across genres, I think I may put it on par with or slightly ahead of M1, but not sure about M2.

Bass of E10 has good extension into sub-bass, far better details and clarity than PL11 and carries good impact. But, let's just say it's a little more "airy" than textured. Bass bleeds a little into mid range from time to time, but it's still enjoyable. Mid range of E10 is a tad recessed next to the bass, leaner in note, smooth and sweet sounding. Treble of E10 is good for the price with some sparkle and decent extension. It's not smooth or refined, but not harsh either. Sound stage of E10 is pretty good, a little spacious with good imaging. Scanning across genres, I feel that E10 is a very capable and competent performer in the price range. I bought it for comparison against Tekfusion Twinwoofers (whenever I get them), but I wonder if it would be far ahead of the compared IEMs. Will know for sure once I get the TW.

While I dislike 'from memory' comparisons, I'd think that M2 would have lesser bass extension, but would have better bass presence due to the textured note and that slight bump in the mid-bass region. Mids would be more forward and thicker, but may sound a tad laid back next to E10. Treble might be a tad smoother, a little more recessed and may be a tad less extended. Sound stage is one area where M2 would have a shortcoming and from what I remember, imaging and layering as well. But, overall I won't be sure about the pecking order without comparing all three (M1, M2, E10) side by side. Memory can go only so far, but can be very deceiving at times
happy19.gif