Audio Random IEM / Headphone Rants

Use @ to mention the name instead of quoting the whole post. Saves scrolling :)

Generally, 'Cutting off excess' always works better than enhancing anything via EQ.

Unless I have RE-ZERO on hand, it's really difficult to present a clear picture to you.

I have not needed to use EQ with DBA-02 MKI or MKII as I like them as-is. I called DBA-02 MKI as RE0 v1.5. If you can withstand RE-ZERO's treble, it is likely that you won't find DBA-02 offensive in treble. I don't understand why you would need to enhance bass with MK2. It is fine as-is. From how I remember RE-ZERO, DBA-02 MK2 should be a step up in clarity and even bass quantity. Of course, sub-bass is not MK2's forte. Of course, XBA-3 has more quantity, but I felt it was a bit too much for my taste as well.

I cannot put out a percentage to how far XBA-3 falls behind DBA-02. So, subjectively speaking....Bass once EQ-ed down should be better than RE-ZERO. With treble, you are likely to miss that forward and crisp nature of RE-ZERO, but you are unlikely to feel let down as the quantity is still enhanced. It won't have the clarity of RE-ZERO's mid range. It sounds more like it's smoother cousin, XBA-1, just a tad recessed. When you want to put a lens to the details, you would feel there's a smoke screen obstructing you from getting there. That's how the 'veil' is. But, you can EQ it out. Crisper sounding DBA-02 is likely to show you more of the micro-details, but MK2 is more restrained and you are unlikely to feel it until you start comparing.

I generally do not go for 'horses for the courses' thing. Even at the top-tier, some IEMs sound better with certain genre(s) and not as good with others. Personally, if I like a signature, I listen to all genres with it. Between the two, I don't think either of them qualify as all rounders. You are unlikely to find an IEM that changes colors like a chameleon and enhance treble or bass depending on the track. At most, a neutral, close to flat IEM with end to end presence would reveal whatever is in the recording. Even they can be boring or even bad at times. So, my suggestion would be to look for the kind of signature you want rather than a generic term like "all rounder" - because the definition of that term varies from person to person.

Added:

Uh, oh! Forgot to mention one unimportant detail - Got a SE535CL (as loaner)!

sorry for using reply with quote.i'm a little new to forum postings.:unsure:I'm beginning to like your quotes "horses for the courses" "i hear sounds not music" :lol:
yeah you're right neutral to flat IEMs can get boring over time like my XBA-1 n even to an extent the balanced E30. I'm slowly climbing the SQ ladder started with PL30 till then didnt know WTF was sounstage :lol: Now just love the Zero's as they are "lively" with less coloration according to me. Even i found The PL50 to be very engaging like if you go to a carnatic vocal music concert performed by a good singer even if its googly you like it. :lol: The Ex1000 is still far coz my wallet is super lite and my wife would be hell furious if she comes to know i'm planning to buy another "damn earphone" the way she calls them. Kindly let me know when you'll consider to sell them.guess i'll settle down with them ultimately.Till then i hope i'll be content with either of the two. thanks a lot santhosh for helping me in deciding

@esanthosh Thanks for pointing out my mistake too :facepalm: . Anyways I gave them a call to confirm about the genuineness of the product. The girl on the other end was unable to satisfy my querry and kept replying only one thing "Sir the product is sondmagic as listed, maybe it is a sub section of the company." on asking any damn question. Finally I kept the call. A day later some executive calls me to verify whether I got my information and said if you are not satisfied with the product we will take it back and refund or provide you with another! :bigok: Me likey that! Will order soon, just looking for some discount coupon ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
guyz one question , i am planning to buy a good iem like soundmagic e 30 or e10m or vsonic gr99- which is more better? Plus if i use these iem on mobile like nokia 5233 or samsung wave 525 do i will hear their 100% performance or do i really need to buy mp3 player like sansa clip+ . Plus should i purchase soundmagic iem from online shopping or locally from nehru place . @esanthosh - plz help

@iittopper a good mp3 player like sansa clip or nanite N2 will definitely have better SQ than most mobile phones. The Nanite N2 player's SQ is better than Sansa clip.you can buy a hippo gumstick or Nationite Nanite from pristine note. I have a 5233 with CFW- BlazeV2, TTpod and Powermp3 and E30 too. Using the "lineout" option when headphones are plugged gave me a little more volume and did not disappoint me in terms of output. Mp3's with higher bit rate than 198kbps,FLAC files sound better from E30 and also at 12ohms resistance they are easy to drive.
The E30 have a little emphasis in bass- mosty sub-bass and can go fairly deep when called for.Mids are little behind bass and smooth,treble is on par with bass.It has a balanced sound signature with good soundstage. Clieos described them to be having a sound close to GR07.
Dont know about the other two IEMs.

this may not be the proper place to ask but still....
does any one know is there a way to pair a Bluetooth receiver with pc , in which case we can plug a 3.5mm jack onto the Bluetooth receiver to watch movies........well i do not want to spend much on those costly bluetooth head sets.....so was looking for a way around.....or is it even possible?

Really, really crappy last few days. I should get back to listening at least tomorrow. Wanted to finish EPH-100 and send it back tomorrow, but looks like I cannot.

In other news, got a Chris_Himself HD600 4 ft, 3.5mm DHC terminated Silver ray cable. Now I can use them with UHA-6S without having to worry about the long HD650 cable and an adapter. The problem is the outer USPS package was wet and was placed inside a plastic cover when it reached me. Not sure what or where it happened. The cable is safe and working (not wet), which is good. Why is every parcel I get a misadventure these days?

Also got Auvio tips ;). Here's hoping for a slightly better week ahead......

Thanks to hzant6681, I have a couple of IEMs. Unfortunately, I could not listen to them for the past 2-3 days since I was a bit unwell and I did not want to transfer my germs across states.

VSonic GR06

I got a bunch of tips, packing and the VSonic pouch (except the ear guides). I do not know why they settled for the pouch instead of the good case from VSonic GR07 MKI (First release). There are a bunch of tips with foam inside them. With a design and form factor like GR07, GR06 is easier to fit over the ear and very comfortable. Just like GR07, it has adjustable nozzles - great for weirdly angled ear canal on one ear fellows like me. Much like GR07, using large size single flanges (I usually use Medium) gives me a good fit. The well textured mid range presentation remind me a little of this experience. Much like GR07, it does well with slightly more volume (I am listening at -31 to -34 on RB-ed Clip+).

GR06 is a mid focused IEM with forward mids and good bass - a similarity on the surface to Brainwavz M2. The bass has good extension and there is limited sub-bass rumble as well, but the bumped up mid bass takes the cake. It is fuller, has good quantity (more than M1, may be slightly less than M2?), carries good impact, but slightly on the slower side and not as detailed. The mid range is warm, forward, clean, well textured and smooth, though a touch short on clarity. My biggest gripe with GR07 was sibilance and I am happy that while GR06 does spit out a little bit of sibilance, it is not all that aggravating. The presence of sibilance will be duly noted, but it won't come in the way of listening. That one aspect ensures that I would not mind listening to GR06 for longer hours. The treble is thankfully not as laid back as most mid-bass oriented IEMs tend to be. Treble lacks sparkle and is much lesser in quantity next to the mid range and bass. However, when I listen closely, it has some energy, decent extension and feels like a much restrained version of GR07 treble. The good thing about GR06 is though the sound stage is not wide or deep, the sound stage does not feel small or constrained. There is good separation and sense of space.

Overall, I'd say GR06 at $63 (~ 3600-3700) is a good choice under Rs. 4000. I am guessing it falls between Brainwavz M2 and M3? SQ wise it feels closer or better than M3, can't say for sure. I prefer the comfort and accessories of the VSonic. While I am thankful that the good friends of TE loan me IEMs, as Adrian Monk would say "It's a gift and a curse", because I think I might buy a GR06 if I continue to like them. A161 and EPH-100 are under consideration as well :(

Philips SHE3570

At first, I had no idea that something other than GR06 was coming. Then, hzant6681 informed me that he has sent a "mystery budget IEM discovered at head-fi". Given the "discovery" of SHE3580 on head-fi, I was hoping that the mystery IEM would be 3580, but 3570 is said to sound similar, if not same. The Philips sells for around Rs. 400-500 (eBay, Flipkart). From an old post, it seemed to be going under Rs. 400 last year. The build quality is not bad at all. The cable feels decent enough next to SoundMagics. I like the thin housings - something that can actually disappear into most ears. They are very comfortable as I have no feeling of having an IEM in my ears.

I will compare it to ES18 in 2-3 days. I have only 2 more days to go with SE535 and I haven't even listened to them much. Considering that they will go out soon and it is one of the IEMs on my 'most wanted' list, I will prioritize them and try to at least listen enough for a brief impression.

esanthosh i'm glad that you like the GR06 and also no fit issues :clapping: I guess i would be the only GR06 owner who didnt get to like their sound & fit:23:
& according to a Head-fi member the SHE3850 & SHE3570 are one and the same.
Philips SHE3580 IEM review--$10 giant killers--ER-4P gathering dust

At first listen i was truly amazed with their sub-bass response & overall sound. they are very, very comfortable IEMs so comfortable that i love to put them on while sleeping without any sore ears in the morning :) or any fear of breaking them.At their price they are unbeatable in many aspects in comparision to many costlier IEM options.

i wonder if esanthosh would reconsider his GR06 buying decision in case all those claims of GR02 being better turns out to be true :23:.

seldom do we see him make up his mind for an iem on the first or second listen.

either the GR06 are that good or the man still has the same passion for iem;s he's been having right from the start

I don't speak about buying IEMs after first and second listen, because I buy them and then speak :p. To tell the truth, I have not firmed up my mind about any of the three. As I mentioned, GR06 has to impress me even after a week.

The reason for considering GR06 is not purely due to SQ. I consider it mainly because it could be a representative of the M3 tier in my rankings i.e., something I can compare other IEMs to know whether they would be in a higher, lower or same tier. While I have BDD and Eterna in that tier, I am more likely to sell off BDD and Eterna is more like a bassy IEM reference than something representative of that tier. I am considering EPH-100 for a similar reason.

A161P is the one I am attracted to purely for it's SQ. But, I have to see whether I need one for myself with PFE and HF2 still around.

is there any thread regarding sources...????
also is the SQ of an android phone (Sony Neo V ,samsung S2) different( bad quality ) from a Sansa Fuse or IPOD.......??
i use Power Amp....

also is the SQ of an android phone (Sony Neo V ,samsung S2) different( bad quality ) from a Sansa Fuse or IPOD.......??
i use Power Amp....

1.>
Most phones (not just Android) don't really have good SQ, with their focus being on CPU & GPU performance, not on DACs. I believe "Galaxy S" (v1, not v2 or v3) had a good DAC, but it's proved to be an exception. Most Sansa players have good DACs on board, with excellent FR performance.

2.>Most phones are likely to have a high output impedance, which pairs especially badly with BA canal-phones. I haven't seen any phone specs where the output impedance was mentioned, so this factor isn't even on their radar.
http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html

3.>Batteries in most modern phones barely last an entire day. Most dedicated players have much better battery life (The Sansa Clip is an exception here, with a 'mediocre' life of around 8-10hrs playtime).

Back