Audio Random IEM / Headphone Rants

I dnt like to write reviews either when its so much fun listening to music through them....I know hw hard i struggled to write tht RE272 review...:)

So I auditioned the HD800, Tesla T1 and the Audeze LCD2 with a Wadia Dac and a Beyerdynamic A1 amp. Also tried the iphone(LOD) -> iBasso Pb2(3.5mm) -> HD25-1 II and Earsonic SM3.

While auditioning the T1 and the LCD2, I kept A/bing it with the Denon D5000 since I was trying them on equipment I have never used before and I needed something I could relate to inorder the keep the comparisons on a level. Also I believe it gives the reader a perspective when I say something like the HD800 has a very faint sub bass or has no bass authority, the reader should understand that i'm coming from a D5000 hence my view of the HD800 is subjective and YMMV. Someone using a K701 might find the HD800's bass authority a bit more prominent than I would.

The Tesla T1 has a very electronic sound. This is what makes it sound incredibly detailed. I could hear details in a song which I din't even know existed simply cause it sounds so sharp and accurate. The Audeze LCD2 on the other hand sounds a bit warmer, a bit more musical. Mind you in terms of treble the D5k stands behind the Tesla T1, LCD2 and the HD800. In terms of bass authority and extension, D5000's were a clear winner. The HD800 has the widest soundstage, the most cleanest treble and the least isolation amongst all the competitors. In terms of smooth and enjoyable midrange, the LCD2 takes the cake. The Tesla T1 and the HD800 have a very good midrange, don't get me wrong, they just din't hit the sweet spot like the LCD2 did. Maybe cuz the HD800 din't give any noise isolation and I was sitting in a slight noisy enviroment. The Tesla T1 sounded a little sharp and analytical compared to the LCD2. If your looking for something accurate and analytical then the Tesla T1 it is. If your going to listen to your music in a quiet enviroment and don't want too much sub bass the HD800 is for you. If you want something with a beautiful midrange which is not analytical in nature but rather enjoyable and musical, the LCD2 is for you. If your a bass head like I am and the bass is more important than other parts of the spectrum, where things like bass authority and bass extension and detailing in the lower end is what you want and if you want a headphone to do it with finesse, the Denon D5000 is for you.

the audeze lcd 2 were rev 1 or 2 ?

did you try the HE6, from my short 1 month with the HE6 i can say that a properly amped HE6 ( am using a speaker amp ) can literally hammer your ears ( in terms of bass) ...well extended as well .

when i heard the lcd2, i found its imaging, mids and bass ( really you found the bass lacking ? , may be the amp was at fault. it migh not be as hard hitting ...but i found it very transparent, and real , am talking about the bass ) was topnotch but the treble was a bit laid back for my tastes.

soundstage and imaging comparison ?? ( lcd2 vs T1/HD800)

I auditioned the LCD2 rev2.

Crap I knew I was forgetting something, I din't ask about the HE6, there were just sooooo many headphones to try and it was closing time for the shop so I had to leave. I did manage to find time to pick up the jMoney pads for the D5000 though ;) and ZOMG Soundstage!!

I never said the LCD2 was bass lacking bro......could you quote me please?
Infact the LCD2 have a very good bass, very neutral, not the fastest, it has a slight decay and a good PRaT.

Bass quantity wise its
D5000 > LCD2 > Tesla T1 > HD800.

Mids -
LCD2 > HD800 > D5000 > T1

Treble -
T1 > HD800 > LCD2 > D5000

Detailing -
T1 > HD800 > LCD2 > D5000

Soundstage (width & height) -
HD800 > LCD2 > T1 > D5000

Imaging -
HD800 > T1 > LCD2 > D5000

Musically(Now this is subjective) -
LCD2 > D5000 > T1 > HD800

When I say musically I mean the headphones I din't wanna take off my head, the one I enjoyed the most. And trust me the positions could swap depending on my mood and the genre I'm listening, but on a whole, thats the order I'd wanna listen to. Simply cause the LCD2 has a good balance of a lotta things, the D5000 has a good bottom end which suits my genre very well, the T1 has superb detailing and an analytical sound second to none, the HD800 would be the last amongst the others simply cause I will have to sit in an extremely quiet environment to enjoy them which is not always possible. Also cause of the lack of the bottom end.
From what've read about the HD800, they are very biased towards the amp they're paired with. These headphones were auditioned with the Beyerdynamic A1 and stand true for only that amp.

No probs....if anyone is serious about buying one of the high end hps and is confused between two, I could prolly write a more detailed comparison. :)

p.s. spread some rep around.......hehe ;)

chiron said:
OT but Heritage has turned out to be such a letdown :(
chiron said:
Get any of their older albums that you don't have or the lamentations dvd instead. Not worth buying; easily the worst thing overall they've put out though there are great moments here and there. Btw, are you getting the one that comes with the coin?

Just got the CD today, ripped it and listened to the whole album once. It sounds nothing like Opeth. On first listen, I'd say that it's so vastly different from any of their previous material that the whole feel is like a 70's album than a band whose roots are in death metal. Their bonus tracks from previous albums, which contained some acoustic efforts and covers stood out because they were different from the heaviness and sheer beauty of the entire album that preceded it. This one needs you to ignore that it's Opeth - Steve Wilson effort and listen to it like a Prog Rock album from somebody else. Let's see if I "get" it after 2-3 listens.

Updated: After 2-3 listens last night and earlier in the day, I can safely say this may not be my favorite Opeth album, but it ain't a bad album. They just went from CK10 to SM3 in terms of sound :p. At times, it even reminds me of Porcupine Tree's sound.

Don't want to say much, but I may actually be settling down in this audio journey of mine. Rest later...if my initial feelings remain the same after few days.

PS: Yep! It's purposefully cryptic, so don't ask me what it is :p

@ benny - Very nice n short review done by you , for the Top-Tier CAN's .

As i have had the Tesla T1's on my ears for a pretty much time , i can assure everyone , that whatever you have mentioned about T1's is absolutely true and correct . Apart from T1's , Things you have mentioned about other can's Specially the LCD-2 and HD800 , seem to be absolutely correct . I have been through a plenty of reviews of HD-800 and LCD-2 , as my next purchase of CAN is due by this year , so probably i'll end up buying the LCD-2 now .

I hate show-offs. But thought I'd update the TE brethren about the direction I am headed.

In case you don't know the difference between portable and transportable setup, here's your chance to know :p. On the left is my favorite brick and on the right is the little Clip+

topviewa.jpg

Since Head-fiers have long tempted me with their brick stacking, here's my version of it. Now, compare how little Clip+ becomes. On top is the QA350 v2 player and on the bottom is the new acquisition, Leckerton UHA-6S connected via Line out using the other new acquisition, the very tiny Inter-connect.

frontviewr.jpg

Or is it the other way around?

sideviews.jpg

And Desktop setup is not far behind either. The spanking new....

burson.jpg

Now, if you'll excuse me, I am outta here :)

Is the Burson available locally? Or did you import? Its a source I'm really interested in listening to. Would love to compare it to Ayon.

Sorry! Burson is not the HA160D (DAC + Headphone Amp), but just the Headphone Amp, HA160. My current budget was tilted heavily in favor of Home theater upgrades, so that's all I could squeeze in. I got it directly from Burson Audio for AU$650 shipped (their quotes always include shipping) + I paid duty on it as well as they sent through TNT. Cost me about Rs. 35K including duties. I have a couple of headphones on the way later this month - good ones, but not necessarily top of the line.

Next item on the agenda would be a meaningful DAC upgrade from MS2 / STX.

Hmm ... so how do the burson compares to the arrow, quality wise ?? as its a fully discrete circuit , i want to know how it compares.

congrats on the purchase :D

I am not sure if I can even compare a portable amp with a desktop amp.

If you meant build quality, then - one is a ultra-slim, very well built portable amplifier and the other is a very solid amplifier that screams quality. The stepped attenuator feels really good to use and even the RCA connectors on the back are better than the other RCA connectors I find in my setup.

Whether one believes it or not, Burson Audio told me to 'burn-in' the amp, which I've not done much. I'll use the amp for a few weeks and stick to music for the time being. So, sorry! don't want to go back to comparisons and critical listening again - just escaped from that hell.

I can only imagine how your next purchase of cans would sound with the HA-160. But that was a good move, going for the Burson's. Atleast now you know that a full fledged desktop amp is off the list of upgrades now for good.
And to be honest, I do not think you need to upgrade your DAC, the Xonar STx has a good dac, just use the line out to feed the Burson's and that should be a very neutral setup.

Back