Audio Random IEM / Headphone Rants

Initial Impressions of Yamaha EPH-100: EPH-100's bass is strong, deep, tight and punchy as compared to the Eterna Rev.1, it remains controlled as compared to the eterna Rev. 1. Mid-range is neither recessed nor forward but it is slightly forward than the eterna Rev. 1. Clarity, details and note presentation is excellent. EPH-100's treble is more extended than the Eterna Rev. 1 but still remains smooth(NOTE: My ears are more prone to harshness in the treble region). I like the treble of EPH-100 a lot. Instrument separation is obviously better than the Eterna Rev. 1. Before EPH-100, Eterna lacks air but it is not the case with the EPH-100 at all. EPH-100 doesn't lack air at all.

EDIT: After listening them for few more hours, I can say that Eterna has slight recessed mid-range next to the EPH-100. Eterna has more mid-bass which leads to sound them thicker and lacks clarity before Yamaha EPH-100. Next to EPH-100, Eterna's bass is little bit boomy. EPH-100 has better instrument separation, airier sound, not as thick as eterna.
EPH-100 and Eterna both have very good bass quantity but EPH-100 is better in terms of quality bass.

esanthosh, I did see that a head fi er from Mumbai has it. They seem quiet interesting from description, esp about having a freq response which is non anemic in any region and the part about great imaging :)

abhi, thanks for the eph 100 impressions.

It's so stupid that I under-estimated the amount of stupidity involved. So, two more weeks to go! But, nothing ground breaking or earth shaking like a custom IEM / $1000 headphone / Anedio D2 / MH334. Something around $200 stupid.

Seeing this a rant thread, I'll rant about my E30, bought it a few days back and it makes my FiiO E6 completely irrelevant, actually the Soundmagic E30 sounds better withOUT the amp, WTF...........

Anyone with the E30 ever tried an amp?

That may be more due to E6 than E30. It has low impedance, low sensitivity and hence demanding on the amplifier. If the amplifier falls short, it may not play along nice. UHA-6S does fine with it, but then it's a $280 amp compared to the much, much cheaper E6.

That may be more due to E6 than E30. It has low impedance, low sensitivity and hence demanding on the amplifier. If the amplifier falls short, it may not play along nice. UHA-6S does fine with it, but then it's a $280 amp compared to the much, much cheaper E6.
Gawd damn it, so the E30s 94db sensitivity is too much for the E6, hmm, now I can spare upto 5k for a decent amp, but I use the E30 outside only, all other amps(from FiiO) are just too big to be carried alongside the phone. I bought the E6 for its small size.
Looks like I'll have to buy another IEM, maybe the E10.

The question is why do you need to carry the E6 if E30 makes it irrelevant? You can keep E6 and use it with other IEMs you buy in the future. Am I missing anything?

The question is why do you need to carry the E6 if E30 makes it irrelevant? You can keep E6 and use it with other IEMs you buy in the future. Am I missing anything?
Yeah, sorry, didn't mention it, the amp is not just for improved sound but for flexible volume control, for example the volume control stepping on the FiiO is very short, so I can get the perfect sound level, but the volume control on the phone or funbook is coarse, sometimes its either a bit too high or a bit too low. The E6 fixes this issue.

Plus I like the bass bosst on the E6, works wonder with my Koss PortaPro and Audio technica M35.

Ah! In that case, you need a different IEM / Amp. Better a different IEM than an amp.

If anybody has means to get IEMs from US, this is a very good deal - Audeo Perfect Fit In-Ear Stereo Headphones (Black) 112-0003-06

Another strange phenomenon - why are people reviewing older IEMs now on head-fi? Brainwavz M2, Hippo VB, GR07 - which have already been reviewed, analyzed, FOTM-ed and generally well known. Why are the companies providing review samples? Bring it back to mass attention? I do not understand at all. (Edit: My Bad! GR07 was a loaner)

It's getting close to the 20 day mark for my M4 theft complaint. Hopefully, Indian posts at least send a letter. I am not hopeful of seeing M4 though! And that stupid mistake hangs over my head as well... sigh! :(

Would I be wrong in considering SRH1840 as a choice alongside HD800 and T1?

Also, anybody got quotes or information out of the Indian Stax dealer? I sent them a mail as soon as titana mentioned them here, but got no response.

It's getting close to the 20 day mark for my M4 theft complaint. Hopefully, Indian posts at least send a letter. I am not hopeful of seeing M4 though! And that stupid mistake hangs over my head as well... sigh! :(

You got a PM.

I lost around 10k worth of items. All were non trackable :(

Anyway, putting up ZO2.3 on sale soon. My previous account psygeist is gone and dunno how it changed to T159. All my posts and my trader feedback, everything is gone :(

Would I be wrong in considering SRH1840 as a choice alongside HD800 and T1?

Also, anybody got quotes or information out of the Indian Stax dealer? I sent them a mail as soon as titana mentioned them here, but got no response.

There's the HD700 as well now isn't there? Was hoping for a slightly lower price. So many people seem to think the 1840 plays well with mid-fi setups, that's a huge bonus for anyone who doesn't want to sell a kidney to make sure their audio chain does justice to the HD800.

Back