Audio Random IEM / Headphone Rants

As far as Sony warranty goes, both are correct in a strange way. They did not originally have warranty. But, purchases made after 17 May, 2012 carry one year warranty. That is what the Sony HO tells me.

First Thoughts

Anyways, bought XBA-1 and XBA-3. I have just opened the boxes and have tried them for 3 mins each. So, this may not be accurate. Anyways, read it in conjunction with my ranking list (found in my signature) to understand my thought process here.

Clip+, Random song: Opeth - Hessian Peel.

XBA-1 is pretty decent. It has good clarity, but I mostly hear a mid-range emphasis. Bass extension or quantity was not that great. The trouble was in the treble - it seems to roll off a bit, cymbals were a bit smeared. I do not hear more details, rather the focus seems to be a smooth, relaxed signature which has a slight emphasis on the mid range. I am not sure if it has the potential to rival PFE or HF2. I was thinking more of 'better than PL50 and A151, but somewhat short of HF2/PFE range, somewhere around Tandem'. Will need some A/B though!

While XBA-1 gave the feeling "Hmm...This is good", XBA-3 is "OH! this IS good". But, on the size side, it also makes me think that it is already big and my ears may not fit XBA-4. The only accessory change from XBA-1 to 3 is that XBA-1 comes with the pouch and this with a small case (I am not sure how useful it's going to be). In case you didn't know, they both are J-Cords, so J-Cord Hater's club, please stay away (unless you can import the iPhone versions which have a normal y-cable)!

The first few things I noticed coming from XBA-1 was that details, resolution, clarity, timbre - all improved. It better be at double the price, right? Now, the bass quantity is good - something which is a bit tipped up, but not overly so. The treble region is better. The mid range sounds clearer and also engaging. Now, this is something I can pit against the likes of PFE and HF2, may be somewhere around or below TF10 in terms of BA, FXT90 and up overall? I really don't think this has the makings of a DBA-02 MKII / CK10 beater though.

Both needed a little more volume between -35 and -30dB on Rockboxed Clip+. I think I ought to test them with UHA-6S. I need more time to achieve a coherent thought about these IEMs. First dinner, then some rest and then may be a little more IEM time (.. or not!)

Post Dinner Update ( OR > 3 min impressions with Clip+ on shuffle as I hate running test tracks)

XBA-1

PFE and HF2 represent what you can achieve in terms of neutral/balanced, detailed signature with a single BA. XBA-1 definitely has more of the A151 / PL50 thought process in terms of tuning with a mid range focus. But, I think it's very well done. I think that it sounds like a (single BA) competitor to (dual dynamic micro driver) Tandem than trying to compete against the likes of Etymotics.

XBA-1 has what I'd call an adequate quantity of bass with a very decent impact and texture - something you won't call as lacking in bass. If I had to use my poor audio memory to draw a comparison, somewhat better than Brainwavz M3 in both quantity and impact. The treble is a bit rolled off for my taste and does not have as much sparkle. When there's much happening in terms of cymbals / hi-hats, it's hard to hear details clearly. Otherwise, it's somewhat decent in a supporting role. IIRC, I think it does better in this region than MEE A151 for sure. I don't find it problematic when I am listening to Clapton's 'Layla'. But with Opeth, I am used to liking that sparkle, so I feel it's a bit short. But, someone allergic to treble will find it right at home. Mids are clear, forward, smooth, but not very detailed. Sound stage is not huge - I am thinking somewhere along the size of Brainwavz M1, but not sure. But imaging and separation are good. I think it makes for a good, relaxing, background listening set as it gives me easy, comfortable, tight seal and fit.

XBA-3

Same Opeth, same 'Death whispered a Lullaby'. Switching to XBA-3 brings the track alive. Bass quantity is a little north of what I want. Bass has good impact, but it sounds slightly muddy in some tracks I have listened to so far - I guess it's the slightly thicker note. Treble is energetic - just the way I want it. I'd say it's energetic, but not offensive / harsh / excessive. Much like bass, may be a bit more than what some would want, but it certainly does not have spikes / peaks as far as I can hear.

However, all's not well - it's a bit sibilant with a song of 'The Beatles' (No! I am not familiar with Beatles despite having an album in Clip+). On hearing more tracks, the ones I am familiar with, I'd say sibilance in track will be reproduced and not swept under carpet, but it's only slight and not too annoying (No! Not like GR07 / Hippo VB - nowhere near). Next up is Hendrix with 'Voodoo Child (Slight return)'. Listening to this track, I am reminded of how many albums I never listen to on a regular basis. Anyways, things happen wild all around the head in this track and XBA-3 copes up with this. Sound stage as with XBA-1 is 'normal' in width, but has decent depth - a bit better than XBA-1 perhaps. But, it does not provide me a sense of space as with FX700 or EX-1000 for sure.

But, I am not getting that 'special' vibe from XBA-3 as I would do with DBA-02, FX700 or Sony's own EX-1000. That may be attributed to it's slightly relaxed sound in comparison to those. Overall, my feeling is somewhat similar to what I get/got with FXT90 or GR07/e-Q5 - something good, better than many others out there, but not special.

Shortly...

Given the peril Rupee is in against USD, I think XBA-1 offers very good value. I wish it had done better by providing a case, Y-split and a shirt clip. But, sound wise, I think it does very well for the price. It may not be everyone's cup of tea and if you happen to audition both XBA-1 and 3, it's likely that you would choose XBA-3. But IMO, at 4K, it's certainly not a disappointment. GR06 @ $60 could be a competitor, but I've neither heard it nor have the intention to buy it.

As for XBA-3, around the 8K mark (say INR comes down to 50/USD), there is lot of competition (FXT90, MG7, DBA-02 MK2, EX-600, FX500, GR07). The good thing about XBA-3, at least to my ears, is that it has less annoyances. It is not special in any way, it does have defects like every other IEM - for instance, I'd have loved a wider sound stage or a little less bass quantity. But, overall, it has forgivable boundary crossings, not "I wish it had not done that" kind of issues. I think here, a little more research would be necessary to determine what kind of signature you are after. As far as value for money goes, I can only say 'par for the course' - neither 'punching above the weight' nor 'punching below the waist'.

I have to try it with UHA-6S / 2SD and see if amp improves things. But, that's all folks! ... for today.

I usually EQ when the balance is a little awkward / annoying for me. Otherwise, I mostly use them as-is and try to like them for what they are. XBA-3 was not annoying, but cutting down 5dB up-to 100Hz would make it better.

Refer FR charts up-to 100Hz : Earphone Review - Phonak AUDEO PFE112 vs Earphone Review - Ultimate Ears Triple fi 10 Pro vs Earphone Review - SONY XBA-3 vs Earphone Review - SONY XBA-1.

Update: After using them for background listening for a few hours, XBA-3's bass quantity is not much of an issue at my lower listening volumes (-37 dB compare to -31 yesterday) and/or a slightly shallower fit. But, XBA-1's bass was a surprise. With over the ear wearing (odd looking with the J-cord though), I found the extension and bass quantity to be good enough. I feel that XBA-1 could be a BA upgrade to Brainwavz M1, but without a direct A:B, it's hard to confirm anything!

hi santhosh,
Need advice from you I have the re-ZERO,E30.& PL50. Was thinking of buying Sony XBA-1 today.I came across your review.so need advice do you think XBA-1 is better than RE-zero.Should i buy it?

I would say No!

I do not have the RE-ZERO any more, but from what I remember, you would only gain in the bass department with XBA-1. The mid range is a lot smoother, but the treble is not as good as RE-ZERO. I am not sure about this, but the sound stage on XBA-1 might be a tad smaller in width, though depth could be somewhat similar. It also has the annoyance of J-Cord, but the housing looks and feels a little better. In technical terms, I would think RE-ZERO is a little ahead.

Again going only from memory.....think of it as a variant of PL50's signature - add more bass texture + quantity + impact, have some body + smoothness + take out the warmer tone from the mid range, roll off and smoothen treble, may be add slightly better separation.

I do think it makes for a good, fatigue free listening IEM. The best way to settle this is if you can audition XBA-1 before buying.

Thanks a lot your opinion saved me from a wrong buying decision :hail: I guess i'll save the money to buy a better upgrade. I like my Re-zeros a lot and consider them to be the best i've owned so far. i love them for their balance n clarity. I listen to Psy-trance,House,Drum n bass on E30. Rock,jazz,instrumental on RE-zero.So for my kind of music choice & IEM signature preference, which IEM should i upgrade to within a budget of 7K.
Bass quantity of E30 is more than enough for me.........can u pls suggest something which has clarity,good depth & width,imaging & seperation, average soundstage, decent bass yet versatile for my music tastes:dizzy: :)

IF you can source from US (via Online retailers who ship to India / eBay from reputed sellers / Friend or relative / Head-fi used IEM sales)..

I would think EX-600 could come close to what you have described. I've never heard them myself, but going by how they describe the difference between EX-600 and EX-1000 I would think it hits the closest to your requirements (600 is slightly unrefined and a little hot in treble, though I don't see that as a problem for someone who likes RE-ZERO). If it sounds as close to EX-1000 as they say, then I'd think even spending a little bit than your budget would still be worth it.

There are other good choices as well. Some of them are a little costlier than your budget, but read about them as well.

• VSonic GR07, which is regarded as the gateway IEM to top-tiers - a little sibilant, softer in dynamics, but has very good presence in bass, mids, enough treble, good balance, goes with all genres. My problem with it was it did nothing special for me.
  • DBA-02 MKII would not have the greatest width or depth. But separation, clarity and that lovely treble wise, it is a good choice. The bass would be quicker, but may be similar or slightly lower in quantity to RE-ZERO. Mids will be a tad more dry, laid back, but if you start comparing with other IEMs, you will realize it's good features like speed and details. If you want a little more excitement, I'd suggest Brainwavz B2 - same as DBA-02 MKI. It would have more forward mids and treble. MKII's housing is tinier and allows for an easier deep fit than the MK1/B2, but it also has a flat cable which a few won't like as much.

What if you can buy only locally?

Then XBA-3 is a decent choice - but I cannot say it's as good a choice as EX-600. It is not a straight upgrade to RE-ZERO by any means - it is just a little more convenient moving from a combo of E30 and RE-ZERO in that you can listen to all genres in XBA-3 without feeling like a total let down. The bass would be quicker, (lesser in quantity **), but well textured compared to E30. Treble likewise may not have that sparkle of RE-ZERO, but won't disappoint. Mid range is positioned - may be a little forward of E30, but not as forward or as crystal clear as RE-ZERO. What you get would be a different kind of signature - something more musical, a little more refined and engaging than RE-ZERO, but technically good as well. I have two issues with it - it lacks transparency of higher end sets and bass sometimes stands apart. I love it's isolation though.

** Addendum: XBA-3 has loads more bass quantity than even the famed TF10 below 100Hz. But, it drops down a little faster on it's way to 200Hz. E30's quantity only 'equal' XBA-3, but being a dynamic it has a better impact and presence. Bass perception depends a lot on the seal and hence the chosen tips for both.

Head-fi style suggestion: Double the budget, get a EX-1000 or FX700.... settle down! :p

ASG-1 has also been plagued with issues like 'shoutiness' etc., Some of the active members involved in ASG-1 thread are known to have new toy syndrome and a history of drumming up their opinion to be fact. At the very least, I do not appreciate the same things as them. Joker should hopefully be reviewing ASG rev 1.2 sometime soon. Until then, I would stay away from it.

Did you get the MG7?

Is there some kind of conducting paint available that I can use on my iem's 3.5mm jack; the sound is cutting off and i think the reason is that a lot of the gold plating is worn off.

Is there some kind of conducting paint available that I can use on my iem's 3.5mm jack; the sound is cutting off and i think the reason is that a lot of the gold plating is worn off.
It would very unlikely that the sound-cut off is due to the gold plating wear & tear. More likely, either the soldering inside IEM or at the plug has become loose. I would think the IEM end more likely as the culprit than the plug end. You can confirm it by keeping the wire at plug end steady (say by having the wire under a heavy book), and moving around the wire at IEM end. If it cuts, you know that the IEM wire has become loose.

The IEMs housing is usually delicate\tiny; it would be an intricate affair to open it, and re-solder. See if you can return it back for repairs.

Its definitely at the plug end. Unfortunately it is out of warranty too.
Cut off the plug, and solder the wires onto a new plug. If you aren't very familiar with soldering, get the one of plugs below and go to a electronics repair shop. I was looking at the MX website for a plug myself, and have the below links for 3.5mm plugs.

http://www.mdrelectronics.com/ProductDisplay.asp?PID=15

http://www.mdrelectronics.com/ProductDisplay.asp?PID=17

http://www.mdrelectronics.com/ProductDisplay.asp?PID=5505

http://www.mdrelectronics.com/ProductDisplay.asp?PID=5506

If you aren't familar with soldering, another choice is to go with the below item, which has a plug with wire. So you'll only need to hook up the wires from IEM with this plug's wires, and then wrap it with insulation tape. Be warned it will look ugly :p.

http://www.mdrelectronics.com/ProductDisplay.asp?PID=604

Yep! They used to retail for a long time around $300-350 and even Amazon Black Friday sales were for $250 or so, IIRC.

But, it has been officially in this price range of $120-150 (with coupons) for sometime now. It is being discontinued. I have been tempted on and off about getting one of them. The problem with outlet store / refurbs is possibly that they do not have the full package of tips / accessories and do not carry Monster's life time warranty. Monster's products are prone to failures and most people end up using this life time warranty. So, that is a risk one should be willing to take.

Will I ever receive my MG7 pro? I have already contacted the seller and the seller contacted the post office and the seller is saying that the post office manager will call him and then he will be able to say me anything :(

Thanks santhosh as u suggested i that i audition XBA-1 if at all i decide i went to the sony center here in mysore, an asked for an audition of XBA-1 and XBA-3,they refused saying that its not possible...i argued with the manager asking how could i make a buying decision of an earphone costing rs4000 & RS8000 without hearing them first.......after a lot of arguments n coaxing he put me on phone to the owner of the franchisee...who seemed to be a sensible person, listened to me patiently and agreed to let me try out only XBA-1.I had taken my PL50 & RE-zero earphones & my blackberry playbook along with me to make quick comparision. I played KD Lang-Constant Craving ,Foo Fighters-These days & Opeth-Devil's Orchard for a min from each track.Well i liked them instantly after the 1st two songs and felt they are better sounding then PL50 exactly the way you described them.I compared them with RE-zero with opeth's track i could make out that though neutral they could'nt beta the clarity of re-zero for ex cymbals area heard like a smooth"tiissssss" on re-zero where as on XBA-1 it goes like "tisss" and i liked comfortable fit and isolation aspects too.Felt nothing wrong in buying a 2nd BA to my collection so i bought them :).Re-zero's is still my hero and XBA-1's in second place followed by E30,GR06 & PL50.I guess EX1000 is still very Far and i must stop for now start saving for them again and pray i dont get tempted by another IEM again.LOL
one more thing since you stay in coimbatore i can lend my GR06 to you to review i got them from a friend in UK, I know they've got good reviews everywhere but for me they dont fit well in my ears. my left ear opening is bigger than right, i've tried almost everything to get the right but no they dont co-operate.And also the sound is a little too thick for me.If you are interested please PM me.

Felt nothing wrong in buying a 2nd BA to my collection so i bought them :).Re-zero's is still my hero and XBA-1's in second place followed by E30,GR06 & PL50.I guess EX1000 is still very Far and i must stop for now start saving for them again and pray i dont get tempted by another IEM again.LOL

Congrats on buying XBA-1. They make an excellent pair to add if you are into 'sound signature collecting'.

As for GR06, I never say No to loaners :p. I'd assume you already tried using different size tips for Left and Right ears? The issue is not uncommon - different sized ear canals, differently angled ones (mine).

PS: You should remove your E-mail ID. That can always be done via PM.

Have you tried EQ with the the XBA-3 ? I'm wondering if the bass can be tamed with EQ.

I cut 1 dB up-to 60Hz, added about a dB to 1.5-3.2Khz and XBA-3 sounds slightly more clearer to my ears.

Back