Audio Random IEM / Headphone Rants

I do not write impressions with EQ enabled unless I explicitly mention it (and that's been the case since my first 'impression' written on TE in the last week of Aug, 2010).

I thought I made it clear in my impressions on why I consider them 'bright' and feel that the 'clarity' is artificially boosted (3-6 Khz bump, 8Khz spike, 10Khz+ little bump).I am sensitive to any uneven bumps in the 5-7Khz region. Even when used stand-alone, it gets a little 'in your face' in some passages. It's all the more apparent when A:B-ed with other IEMs. Either your source tones down that region or you are not sensitive as others. If it's the latter, better to take that into account (that others may be more sensitive than you) when discussing IEMs. Try and run a frequency sweep and see what peaks and valleys are present in the response.

I have read that CX300 sounds somewhat similar to EP630, which I rank among the lowest. You have compared TW to Klipsch S4 - another IEM I do not find endearing (muddy though punchy and extended bass, thinner mids, sibilant, not good quality in treble). Both commit excesses one way or another. If that's your sample set, then TW can be termed "balanced" in relation. But, for my comparison set, TW is bright. I cannot explain it any further than what's written in my impressions.

Hmm. Ok, lets forget about it. Btw have you heard the Sony XBA3? I heard some reviews that they got some BA. Have you used the BA earphones before? iN My experience i haven't yet, i think the Etymotic has the BA, right? Can you be able to compare for me the BA experience with the dynamic ones like sony x1000?

Please visit the link in my signature and then shoot questions on what specifics you want to know.

Yes! Some of them are BA.

May I ask you one more thing: What audio bitrate are you using to come up with your TW impressions? Do you use the standard audiophile high quality formats like flac and lossless, or do you use mp3 vbr?

I personally prefer 320kbps and losless flac as much as i can get hold of. But i also do know one thing that the audio codec is also a big candidate to determine the output.

I do not write impressions with EQ enabled unless I explicitly mention it (and that's been the case since my first 'impression' written on TE in the last week of Aug, 2010).

I thought I made it clear in my impressions on why I consider them 'bright' and feel that the 'clarity' is artificially boosted (3-6 Khz bump, 8Khz spike, 10Khz+ little bump).I am sensitive to any uneven bumps in the 5-7Khz region. Even when used stand-alone, it gets a little 'in your face' in some passages. It's all the more apparent when A:B-ed with other IEMs. Either your source tones down that region or you are not sensitive as others. If it's the latter, better to take that into account (that others may be more sensitive than you) when discussing IEMs. Try and run a frequency sweep and see what peaks and valleys are present in the response.

I have read that CX300 sounds somewhat similar to EP630, which I rank among the lowest. You have compared TW to Klipsch S4 - another IEM I do not find endearing (muddy though punchy and extended bass, thinner mids, sibilant, not good quality in treble). Both commit excesses one way or another. If that's your sample set, then TW can be termed "balanced" in relation. But, for my comparison set, TW is bright. I cannot explain it any further than what's written in my impressions.

esanthosh,

I used to have the Senn Cx300 and the last they are is balanced or detailed. Very fun, enjoyable sound, but thats about it. They were better than the ep630s though when I AB-d them at that point of time with my Cowon D2, Nokia n91 and iPod. The Soundmagic Pl30 I got later was far better when it came to being balanced, detailed or having a decent soundstage.

Someone mentioned a price of INR3000 for cx300 which I feel is far too much. I wouldnt pay more than 1500rs for it, even if I am paying for the Senn brand. For 3k, you can get far better stuff.

#[member='jacobz300'],

I use ONLY 320kbps and FLACs (and WAVs with QA350 because it supports only WAV). I rip FLACs using my own CDs bought from Amazon UK/US using EAC. I use the latest version of LAME to encode them using foobar.

This is not the first time in an anonymous internet forum that someone dislikes someone else's "precious". Brendon loves RE1, which I hate (though we both agree on how it sounds). Although he appreciates what it does, Bennysachdev does not have as much love for CK10 as I do. No one heard, leave alone like my HJE900 when it was on a short tour. Half of Head-fi loved the GR07 to bits, which I did not like as much - even if I appreciate what it does. Happens all the time. It's called personal preference. We can all live in harmony even with difference of opinion.

I am honestly, a little tired of explaining myself. I feel that time can be much better spent exploring other stuff than trying to figure out what's wrong with the other person over a Rs. 1200 IEM.

#[member='iaudio'],

Yep! For 3K, one can get a lot better stuff.

# everybody,

With time, my want list has changed (though realistically speaking, I cannot afford everything in the list)

Previously
  1. iBasso DX100
  2. Anedio D2
  3. K3003
  4. Hidition NT6
  5. PFE232
  6. Beyer T1
  7. LCD2 rev 2

Now, it reads
  1. Anedio D2
  2. K3003 / MH334
  3. Hidition NT6
  4. T1 / HD800
  5. Stax SR-009
  6. A Tube Amp: EC Super 7 / Woo Amps
  7. LCD2 rev 2

On and off want list (as in fringe interests I want to check out from time to time, but not firm)
  1. FI-BA-SS
  2. UM3X-RC
  3. Grado SR225
  4. Modded D5000
  5. HE-500
  6. IE80
  7. RedGiant A03
  8. Sony XBA-4

My wishlist :

1. Yamaha HP-1000

2. Stax 007 + DIY T2 setup

3. Assemblage DAC 3.1

3. EC BA /Super 7

4. CA Liquid Fire

5. ECP audio L-2 amp

6. UERM

esanthosh,

I used to have the Senn Cx300 and the last they are is balanced or detailed. Very fun, enjoyable sound, but thats about it. They were better than the ep630s though when I AB-d them at that point of time with my Cowon D2, Nokia n91 and iPod. The Soundmagic Pl30 I got later was far better when it came to being balanced, detailed or having a decent soundstage.

Someone mentioned a price of INR3000 for cx300 which I feel is far too much. I wouldnt pay more than 1500rs for it, even if I am paying for the Senn brand. For 3k, you can get far better stuff.

That was me. The original MRP of cx300ii is 2970 in bangalore, where i live. I don't know where you can get it for 1500, and even if you do, i'm sure it has to be a fake version. Seriously speaking, sennheiser themselves told me that if their iems are ridiculously lowly priced when bought, they must be counterfeight products. Where did you buy yours? and how much? 1500 is ridiculously low if not panthentic!

@Esantosh: Thanks for confirming
happy19.gif

That was me. The original MRP of cx300ii is 2970 in bangalore, where i live. I don't know where you can get it for 1500, and even if you do, i'm sure it has to be a fake version. Seriously speaking, sennheiser themselves told me that if their iems are ridiculously lowly priced when bought, they must be counterfeight products. Where did you buy yours? and how much? 1500 is ridiculously low if not panthentic!

@Esantosh: Thanks for confirming
happy19.gif

I didnt say I paid 1.5k, I said thats the price I feel that they should be sold at. As for me, I bought mine a few years back from Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-CX300-B-Earbuds-Black-Version/dp/B000E1FYQA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1336650096&sr=8-5

Do you mean to say, Sennheiser guys told you their iems are not overpriced? Ok, so do you really think they will say anything else?

I didnt say I paid 1.5k, I said thats the price I feel that they should be sold at. As for me, I bought mine a few years back from Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.co...36650096&sr=8-5

Do you mean to say, Sennheiser guys told you their iems are not overpriced? Ok, so do you really think they will say anything else?

Are these used or new? Because i know amazon is known for selling used stuff, and so is eBay. I think the sennheiser iems are not so overpriced, considering the service they provide. Other than good pair of earphones, i think service matters also. But in India, i don't think sennheiser give any warranty for the products
<
because i tried contacting one or more of their service centers but nobody responded)

I dont know about the ones in the link. Mine were brand new and from Sennheiser on Amazon. And they were not fake, afaik. I had gone thru the head fi checklist of how to spot fakes, beyond that none of us can be too sure.

If they dont provide service, then the premium you pay is just for the brand. Imho, the iem market has so many better options be it at 1.5k or 3k.

I dont know about the ones in the link. Mine were brand new and from Sennheiser on Amazon. And they were not fake, afaik. I had gone thru the head fi checklist of how to spot fakes, beyond that none of us can be too sure.

If they dont provide service, then the premium you pay is just for the brand. Imho, the iem market has so many better options be it at 1.5k or 3k.

I think the one you are using is cx300B. The New version is cx300II, which i have, which is more costly than older version. The new version look like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-MK...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1336656517&sr=1-1

No, mine were cx300 not cx 300 II. Irrespective of what it goes for now, I reiterate my initial opinion that I feel these(the cx300s specifically, though as far as I have read the cx300 II are no radical improvement) are not worth paying more than 1.5k for. I would rather get a Soundmagic Pl30, Brainwavz M2, Xears Bullet etc all of which I feel fare better sonically.

Just got the ES18.
Forward mids(more like in your face) and a hint of rumble in the bass.
I like its sound signature and considering its price, it sure is worth it.
I hear a bit of 'sss' in some songs, which does make me a bit uncomfortable.

Update: Threw away the stock earbuds and put on the earbuds(the solid ones that come with M2) and the sound is now much better (as per my taste). Bass gets some attention and the mids become less forward than before. Although the treble feels a bit less detailed than before.(the treble boost option in my ipod really makes them shine now!) What works for me is the improvement in bass(fuller body and more impact apparently).

I'm thinking of getting Panasonic RP HTF600 (for 30 dollars)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/sho...s-reviewed-panasonic-rp-htf600-added-04-29-12 (Joker's thread)
He gave it a 7.75 for sound. Should I buy that or the Koss Portapro(40 dollars)?

Budget IEM Shootout: SoundMagic E30, Brainwavz M1, MonoPrice 8320, SoundMagic ES18

The Players

I got the M1 loaner from Sarath_ a while back and I also got MEP-933 from 3.14or22by7. I thought I will do a small shootout.

It's an interesting bunch of IEMs, though not similar.

E30 and M1 go for a little over Rs. 2000. ES18 costs nearly 1/4th at around 400-500. All are available locally. While 8320 is priced at $7.11 (and reduces to $6.84 if you order 2), the shipping cost is $35.77, which would make it the costliest IEM of the bunch here. Of course, if someone were to source it from Head-fi FS or through a friend, the cost would be somewhere around the region of ES18. It's a motley crew bunch which can be loosely tied together by using the term 'somewhat balanced sounding'. Strictly speaking, I should not be comparing them except M1 and E30 which are in a similar price range. But then, I am not known for making rational decisions. So, let's roll on...

The Setup

Short Names

M1 - Brainwavz M1
E30 - SoundMagic E30
MEP - MonoPrice 8320 or MEP-933
ES18 - SoundMagic ES18

External Features

Build Quality: M1 > E30 > ES18 > MEP
Comfort: E30 > M1 ~= ES18 > MEP
Cable: M1 > E30 > ES18 > MEP
Accessories: M1 > E30 > ES18 > MEP

Tips used

E30 - Stock Large Bulge tip
ES18 - (Fake?) Sony Hybrid
M1 - Stock Medium tip
MEP - Monster Foam tip from the Sampler pack

Over the ear fit for all IEMs

The Plot: Random Track Testing

The idea is not to go just by technical prowess or simply 'moar treble is da best'. Screw the Frequency response graphs and the normal means of evaluation. I am not going to do my usual 'running-the-same-old-test-tracks-for-the-250th-time' shtick.

The idea simply is to set an expectation for each track and see which fulfills it most. Some of these tracks do not feature among my regular test tracks. These may or may not be the finest recordings / representative of their respective genre. But then, I do not want to do 'regular stuff' this time. These turned up when I put Clip+ on Shuffle and Repeat (not in the same order and at different times) and I thought I will just go with the flow. The only rule, if any, is that I should be reasonably familiar with my tracks and should have a general, vague idea about how they sound with my favorite, higher priced IEMs.

RockBox Clip+ Volume Level used (Isis - Dulcinea) in negative dB

MEP - 30, M1 - 32, E30 - 37, ES18 (Stock tip) - 39

The comparison was repeated altering the original order of IEMs in each song. Volume used for repeat test: MEP - 31, M1 - 32, E30 - 38, ES18 (Sony tip) - 38

The general order followed was M1 -> MEP, ES18 -> E30, so that I needed to adjust the volume by a large amount only once during the test. I did not want to try MEP followed by ES18. What if I forgot to turn down the volume?

Pantera - I'm Broken (Far Beyond Driven)

Expectation: Make me Air guitar or shout along so that I strain my vocal cords and remain quiet for the next 3-4 days

E30's big bass and a wide sound stage adds a bit of fun. As far as theatrics in the song go, whether it's the drums traveling from left to right or that 'thundering effect' at 3:02, E30 is the clear leader of the pack as it conveys the feeling of sounding grand. Vocals are recessed and lack the 'flesh' which would have made them endearing; guitars sound good.

M1 is not as much fun as it has a smooth, soft character. Anselmo's vocals are clearly 'heard' (forward and intimate), but not as much 'felt'. Relatively forward mids, right amount of bass, but lacks the character. Cymbals sound a little closer, but not crisper as E30.

MEP-933 - now we are talking. Phil Anselmo's vocals have the full grunt on display here, the solo guitar towards the end is so much more involving. It does lack the sound stage gimmicks though. Bass quantity is a little less than what is necessary for this track, but it makes up for in the additional level of detail, especially in the upper registers. MEP, to me, brings out the rawness of the track better than others.

ES18 - everything is forward, has the right amount of bass quantity which makes it fun next to M1. But sounds falls a bit flat due to the treble roll-off and the thicker note. Bass wise, it does well next only to E30. But, it has smearing of details which does reduce it's points.

Result: MEP (grit, rawness, details) > E30 (grandness of presentation, bass) > M1 > ES18

Norah Jones - Come Away with Me (Come Away with me)

Expectation: Focus on Norah Jones. If I am tired, make me sleep

With vocals, you can enjoy it in a couple of ways. One is to look for those tiny nuances - vocal variations, the breathing of the singer - enough to visualize what they are doing. The other is to make the vocalist the focus of the track, but obscure that finesse in details in favor of a smooth sound.

MEP takes the first approach. It faithfully produces more details - enough for you to imagine Norah Jones in a Jazz club performance. It does the best with instruments in this track. M1 clearly follows the second approach. Norah Jones is forward and is the center of attention, but in a very small room. E30 is more balanced than either and puts instruments on equal footing to the centered Norah, who has now moved to a larger stage compared to M1 and MEP. The vocals do not stand out or feel special, but it is not lacking much either. ES18 puts me in a much smaller stage compared to E30, a tiny bit smaller than M1. But like M1, Norah is forward on top of my head. It does not sound bad at all stand-alone until one moves to the other IEMs.

Result: M1 >= E30 >= MEP-933 >= ES18

Isis - Dulcinea (In the Absence of Truth)

Expectation: Make me feel I am observing everything that goes on around me in the head stage [or] Put my a$s out there!

There is a certain sweetness to Isis' sound despite the growls and 'heavy' passages. Bass is a pre-reqiuisite as well as a good sound stage and positioning for portraying that ambiance. Let's say none of them do as well as FX700, but that is to be expected.

ES18 does well. Bass is right, vocals are the at the right distance, guitars sound well, growls sound ok.

E30 having the widest sound stage of the bunch was expected to "mop the floor" with the competition. Not so much. The problem is that despite the good sound stage, 'right' bass quantity for Isis, good separation, both vocals and instruments vie for attention at the same time. Cymbals sound better than M1 and ES18, but a little behind the MEP. In terms of 'fun', I must say that despite it's shortcomings, I would not put ES18 too far off E30.

In terms of forwardness, M1 stands mid-way between ES18 and E30 in terms of presenting this track. It's intimate presentation actually works well for this track. But, guitars do not sound as sweet nor cymbals as defined as E30.

MEP lacks good layering, so I half expected it to fail in this track. But with it's clarity, details and balance (despite having a little bass quantity than I expect with Isis) of MEP puts me right out there. Growls are felt and the guitars sound great... and now, that's a proper cymbal crash.

Result: MEP > M1 >= E30 ~= ES18

Ihsahn - Unhealer (angL)

Expectation: Both growls and clean vocal sections should both be engaging

ES18 has plenty of problems here. The vocals are just not as defined as the others, especially when it comes to the growls-shriek section. It seems a bit 'masked' / smeared. However, it makes up with it's presentation and bass punch.

E30 performs very well. Though the mid range is a bit recessed and the bass quantity seems a bit on the higher side, it also has the widest sound stage and very good imaging - it never gives a feeling of congestion or claustrophobia. The switching vocals between Akerfeldt and Ihsahn has good separation here. The growl from 4:18 to 4:25 is given a majestic boost because of it's bass.

M1 as expected, scores well in presenting a little more fleshed out clean vocal section, but loses out in the growl-shriek section - it just isn't as engaging. The presentation is more forward than E30, but the sense of space that exists with E30 is gone.

MEP comes into this game with plenty of aces up it's sleeve. It has better clarity, details, resolution and manages to produce details in the vocals. However, when the track gets busy, MEP too goes little too busy toning down enjoyment and effectively lowering it's points.

In this track, none of them perform close to my expectations, but each of them have a little strength of their own. So, I am just going to rank them in the order of least annoying to most annoying in terms of overall enjoyment.

Result: E30 > M1 = ES18 > MEP

More Blabber

There is no question that MEP scores high on technical ability - clarity, resolution, details and balance. But, that tangling mess of (what passes of as a) cable and the size of the housing is harmful especially when I am trying to quickly A:B:A. It has the best treble presentation of the bunch, though it's far from perfect. The bass quantity is the least of the bunch. The whole presentation is a little distant and the stage does not have good depth.

On the other end is ES18 - something that does not do as well on the technical front - be it resolution or details. But I'd call it a form of guilty pleasure - something like enjoying 'Escape from NY' because of Snake Plisskan and not sharing it with your Tarkovsky dissecting friends. It's the least annoying sub-$10 locally bought IEM I've heard. It manages to do the presentation somewhat decently, has good bass quantity and does not have annoying peaks, though I wish it had a little more treble and did not smear details. I think it's bass region in terms of mid-bass quantity:sub-bass quantity is better than E30. For me, it makes a good travel/background listening IEM - something that is cheap and less annoying.

The other two fall closer to MEP in terms of technical ability, but not quite there. Those who are looking for bass punch and/or used to bloated quantities of lower tier IEMs, M1 is a no-go. But, it is also far from bass light. Though it can be called balanced, it's emphasis is on the somewhat thick, smooth mid range. It's overall sound character is a little more polite and does not carry through rawness when required by the track.

E30 has the best bass punch of the lot. The well fleshed out low-end along with the wide sound stage helps it pull across many a times. It also is the best of the bunch in sound stage 'effects' - portraying distance and space very well (sound fading away, moving from left to right etc.,). But it is not free of issues. The mid range is recessed, vocals are a bit dry sounding in relation to M1. In terms of temperature of overall sound, E30 sounds darker, MEP is a little on the neutral territory, ES18 is a little on the warmer side and M1 the warmest.

Conclusion

MEP-933 takes the crown as the best sub-$30 IEM I have heard so far, not just sub-$10. If I had a choice, I'd want MEP-933 in a housing as comfortable to wear as E30 with M1 like cable. In the absence of that, E30 offers the best compromise considering comfort, price, bass, sound stage and technical ability.

Back