Audio Random IEM / Headphone Rants

Actually, I had some irritation from constant insertion and removal of IEMs. I wasn't this sensitive before, but these days, I can use a single IEM for hours or even switch 2-3 IEMs in a session. However, comparisons require constant insertion and removal, which does not agree with me anymore - especially when lots of straight barrel IEMs are involved.

Also, I am a bit particular when it comes to hearing the environment around in the night. Last week, I was about to write impressions on M2 vs E30 vs E10. Right around that time, I felt that I was not hearing the sounds at a similar dB level as I am used to (fan's noise and various other benchmarks - sort of like when high altitude can block the ears). So, I switched over to watching movies instead (speakers). My hearing has been fine since then, but I didn't want to spoil my ear before making sure that things are completely back to normal - which I think it is now. But then, my mood has not returned back to audio yet!

A bit late but there she is!

8824e2b4.jpg

In short great bass, nice and tight, forward mids, rolls off a bit in the highs but no where as much as my beloved RE-1s did. Instruments sound great and well spaced in most recordings. Not using an amp yet..... mainly as the regular headphone out on the protector sucks......miss the mustang.

Very light and rather small, build quality is top grade. Interesting bundled tips, although I struggle to get a decent seal with anything these days : /

Actually, I had some irritation from constant insertion and removal of IEMs. I wasn't this sensitive before
Damn, it's bothersome when the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak :annoyed:. Given your passion for trying IEMs (and then writing about them), I hope this was just a one-off incident. Given any considertions to move to Headphones :angel: ?

I have given a lot of thought about moving back to speakers :). But the reasons I had for selling the speaker setup and moving to IEMs viz., cost, space, power, room acoustics, portability, number of variables involved in the final SQ, neighbors - remain as-is. So, not sure.

Somehow, headphones don't get regular use from me. I have Alessandro MS1i for over 2 years, more or less. But, the actual usage (apart from 100 hours of burn-in which I only managed a few months back) is about 10-15 hours max. Brainwavz HM5, which I have been meaning to sell ever since I got them, have been sleeping without any use apart from their 250 hour burn-in. I have a compartmentalized brain - I don't use my mobile / home theater for music or portable setup for listening to headphones (though UHA-6S and 2SD are more than capable). It may just be the sheer laziness of having to switch on the PC and associated equipment, sit in one place and listen :ashamed:

Finally got Sony XBA-3 in Mumbai :) ... Just got them :) lil un-boxing for all those who wanted to see it

Attachments

• IMG_20120526_013233.jpg
    IMG_20120526_013233.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_20120526_013306.jpg
    IMG_20120526_013306.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_20120526_013328.jpg
    IMG_20120526_013328.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 176
i thought that line was from a woven hand song but turns out its from the bible :unsure:
During the initial days of automatic language translation, that phrase had particular popularity.

With one of the then popular websites (google?? babelfish??), when translated from english into russian, and then from russian back into english, the phrase would become: "the vodka is good, but the meat is rotten" :sleep:

Speaking of Stax.... Ants in my Stax: should I worry? and the follow-up, FS - Nature Lover's Stax 009 headphones

These days I keep to my subscribed threads in head-fi, which is about 5-10 threads. The only other section I used to frequent was the 'For Sale' section. The rapid depreciation of the INR has stopped me from even thinking about it. Anyways, I did not even know that "yet another giant killer"
rolleyes.gif
has arrived in the form of CKM500 until somebody mentioned it on Joker's thread (Interestingly, that CKM500 thread derailed into an objective vs subjective debate from this post onwards.) Seems like a decent enough proposition around Rs. 4K including EMS shipping from here (It's costlier on eBay). But still not sure how it sounds though even though it's claimed that it is better than GR07, CKM99 and so on. Won't take a risk until I read more impressions.

I wanted to get XBA-1 or XBA-3, but the local Sony Center does not seem to be getting one. Should I take a chance with eBay or ask somebody else to get it for me from one of the official outlets?

Anyone has a NE-6/NE-7M (or MEE M6 or S4) that can be loaned for a few days? :ashamed: I am still scratching my head on where to place ES18.

How are stax btw.....are they bright sounding or bassy or warm / analytical?? I've heard the Koss ESP950 and found it very analytical and bright sounding. Are the stax similar to the Koss ESP950 since they both are electrostats?

@esanthosh

got my self XBA-3 it is fantastic. am sure true sound will come with time and have to upgrade the music to 320 to make it sound good enough. But Some albums like live Led Zep, Who, Iron Maiden, NIN, sounded like almost new. Could hear fine details which were missing even from M2.

It does not have that thump of M2 but sound is definitely richer.

Last edited by a moderator:
bennysachdev,

As per one head-fier, the lower priced Lambda models would sound similar - lacks in bass impact, effortless, airy, extremely detailed, very good imaging, but does not have the note weight of the orthos. SR-007/009 though are not that airy in comparison, but accurate, linear, resolving, tonally balanced and transparent.

Have you auditioned the Fit-Ear GO! MH334 (Jaben? Or nowhere?) or the K3003 (in Stereo)?

sandeepsachin @antz123,

Thanks! Will try and get them soon :). Am I correct in understanding that whether you buy these from Sony official outlets or from Infibeam, headphones and IEMs do not have warranty in India?

Last edited by a moderator:
that's right esanthosh , there is no warranty for sony headphones in india. krisballa had mentioned it a few months back that he had got a sony MDR-XB300 from an exclusive sony center and when he enquired about warranty, they said Sony doesn't provide any warranty on headphones
%3C
even it is high-end headphone.Even klipsch and sennheiser provide 2 years warranty on their products

Sorry to defer

I bought from Sony Outlet and they have given me one year warranty on the headset. And strangely they said it upfront any problems in span on year you just bring it back it is fully covered :D

Back