Raspberry Pi

connect the usbhub to one of the two ports on the board and then connect this usb to the hub. it works. i am using the same way...

One question is popping up in my mind,
Don't anyone need heatsink for the chip if he is plan to use it for a prolonged period of time?

One question is popping up in my mind,
Don't anyone need heatsink for the chip if he is plan to use it for a prolonged period of time?

My Pi gets hot like a hot plate when running continuously under moderate load, so if you want to use it prolonged in an enclosure or case a heatsink is a good to make its life longer

so if you want to use it prolonged in an enclosure or case a heatsink is a good to make its life longer
any links for the heat sink ?

Is it possible to connect Pi to a laptop & use it's display ? My laptop has MiniDisplay port, HDMI output ports.

Secondly, how do I connect to a non-HDMI monitor ? I have a old CRT. Which converter you guys using ?

Is it possible to connect Pi to a laptop & use it's display ? My laptop has MiniDisplay port, HDMI output ports.

Secondly, how do I connect to a non-HDMI monitor ? I have a old CRT. Which converter you guys using ?

Getting such a heat sink from india is out of question, I salvegd mine from a dead motherboard, which fortunately fitted with pi, you can make one yourself by going to one of the aluminum fabrication guys and give them the dimensions
I dont know about using the laptops display so cant guide you much, in this case Google is your best friend
For using an old CRT the Pi has a composite out you can hook it through it
For non-hdmi display a cable converter is best option such as HDMI-TO-DVI, HDMI-TO-VGA etc

If you want to power up & run it as stand alone download device how do you run using USB ? (Where to fetch power for USB)

No one will run laptop 24*7 just to power up PI using USB right ?

Does adapter come with PI ?

Well if you are connecting to say LCD tv, you can draw power from any STB having USB port...

In my case I will be using Tata sky spare port !!

Anyone used this to confirm ?

For using an old CRT the Pi has a composite out you can hook it through it
For non-hdmi display a cable converter is best option such as HDMI-TO-DVI, HDMI-TO-VGA etc
I thought Pi only has HDMI out :ashamed:

Can you suggest any cable ? A online link would be nice. My CRT monitor is very old, it has only one port : VGA / DE-15

and also can you post the pic of your heat sink ?

Thank you for replying guys.
@tech.addict - from the link you posted, I can connect to TV, but which one I can use for CRT monitor ? It only one VGA cable.

Last edited by a moderator:

ebay.com have a few in it, but they are not available for worldwide shipping.
I saw the shape & size, and I think, any south-bridge heatsink from older motherboards will do the cooling work. (Theoretical aspect)

Is there an app for Android that controls Linux remotely.

I am thinking of the following setup.

RPi for downloading torrents connected to my external powered 3TB hard disk.

Does Model B come with WiFi dongle installed on the board or do we have to use an external WiFi dongle.

I will be controlling it via my Nexus 10 remotely once the initial setup is done. Already have ordered a 64GB class 10 SDCard as was thinking of using my phone as a regular download rig.

Final question is that since I don't wish to use it's 1080p playing abilities anytime soon, should i just save my money and stick with using my Mobile Phone as the Torrent Downloader.

Back