Rate the Last Movie You Saw...

@prabs you should also watch [if you have not] --
  • The Pacific [HBO miniseries]
  • No Man's Land (Bosnian war-film about the civil war that followed after the collapse of Yugoslavia)
  • Beaufort
  • Walz Im Bashir [2008 Waltz with Bashir -- Israeli film on the 1982 war]
  • LEBANON (2009)

The soldiers except one - the opportunist - really wanted to be in the field battling and not be a part of the sham that they were being used for. It shows an opportunist, a man with guilt and a medic who silently endures this (and continues) and their struggle with the word Hero.

Exact same words by my father when he saw the film, just that he added a few pleasantries towards the political class which he has interacted in capacity on the same level and said that '...nobody realizes before they lionise someone, just add a burden on an already long list (leaving behind their friends, subordinates to support a hollow war).'

Last edited by a moderator:
prabs you should also watch [if you have not] --
  • The Pacific [HBO miniseries]
  • No Man's Land (Bosnian war-film about the civil war that followed after the collapse of Yugoslavia)
  • Beaufort
  • Walz Im Bashir [2008 Waltz with Bashir -- Israeli film on the 1982 war]
  • LEBANON (2009)

Exact same words by my father when he saw the film, just that he added a few pleasantries towards the political class which he has interacted in capacity on the same level and said that '...nobody realizes before they lionise someone, just add a burden on an already long list (leaving behind their friends, subordinates to support a hollow war).'

Thanks for the suggestions mate.

I do agree with your father's point not only they leave their dear ones to go to a war convincing themselves that it is for the greater good, some witness their colleagues (who are now like a family away from family) die on field and then when they (the characters in the movie or anyone else in their position) are pulled out of war to go on parades to support a cause they themselves have stopped believing in fully aware that their friends are still on battlefield fighting to survive or dying. Then when their purpose is served they are forgotten confused if they were being patronized the whole time. People might forget them but these poor souls unfortunately don't forget and wish they had died in the war. The real culprit here is the Society.

There was another HBO series called Band of Brothers. I haven't seen it but heard it was quite good.
Will add - The Pianist and The Great Escape '63 to that list.

There was another HBO series called Band of Brothers. I haven't seen it but heard it was quite good.
Will add - The Pianist and The Great Escape '63 to that list.

Yep, The Pacific [2010] and Band of Brothers ~2003 are two miniseries done by HBO and produced and supervised by Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg after the success of Saving Private Ryan. Both are the only TV miniseries I have ever concluded and I enjoy them thoroughly.

Father is in the Air Force so experienced all that, real-time; sombre and humanising in ways more powerful than anything I have known in my life.

The Rock(1996) - 8/10
Was bored and browsing through my database,found this movie and decided to give it a watch again
Sean Connery at his best,simply love watching that man on screen

Expendables 2 : 6/10... All marks are for dialogues and entry of heroes.. story is very straightforward. Starting action is good but mindless. nothing special its just made to cash in on Expendables 1 movie.

A Separation - 9/10.
The story is very simple but the direction makes this movie tempting. A must watch for everyone.

JFK - 9/10 - Absolutely mind blowing,if you love conspiracy theories,You will like It more..Super thundering climax and Knockout performances by kevin Costner,gary oldman , Tommy lee jones Joe pesci
Monster's Ball (2001) - 7/10 - Billy bob Thornton and Halle berry both are good
Hysteria (2011 R 6.7) - 5/10 - Only Maggie gyllenhaal
Batman - Year One (2011 PG-13 7.3) - 8/10 - Pure unadulterated fun
Constant Gardener, The (2005 R 7.5) - 8/10 - Just like a Good British movie
Dictator, The (2012 R 6.7) - 6.5/10 - i liked borat more
Battleship (2012 PG-13 6.1) - 6.5/10 - Just Good CGI
Borat (2006 R 7.4) - 8/10 - Epic
Wild Bill (2011 7.1) - 7.5/10 - Its like Shameless on Celluloid :) Not another This is England though
Monsters, Inc. (2001 8.0) - 8.5/10 - A pixar Movie,well is a pixar movie
The Raid - Redemption (2011 R 7.9) - 6/10 - Good Action,half-Baked plot
Little Children (2006 R 7.7) - 7/10 - Kate winslet..*sighs
Salmon Fishing in the Yemen (2011 PG-13 6.9) - 6.5/10 - quirky plot,But well written and well acted..and I just love the irish accent
Hunger Games, The (2012 PG-13 7.4) - 6/10 - Don't know what the fuss is all about

The Tall Man : 8/10
Trespass : 7/10
The Fall : 10/10 [Truly an amazing movie. Shows the power of imagination, and crisp editing].

Back