Rate the Last Movie You Saw...

^the movie started as a mokumentary, I said "okay..." then I see the story developing into Johannesburg and then ghettos and then one inocent against the entire world. I said **** it and then stopped the movie. its all ****ed up. It was all nice and pretty till elysium. but this is above me. I dont even understand why people gave it over 7 imdb rating.

Mad Max - 9/10. Brilliant action, world building and cinematography. Also loved that the movie was so lean. No unnecessary exposition or flashbacks or other bullshit.

Watched Mad Max: Fury Road in IMAX 3D yesterday. One word: Terrific!
While walking out someone in the crowd quipped "Yaar, tum log hamesha mujhe aisi ghatiya movies dikhane kyu lejaate ho". Well, to each his own...but IMO, the majority of Indians have a terrible taste at the movies.

Mad Max - 9/10. Brilliant action, world building and cinematography. Also loved that the movie was so lean. No unnecessary exposition or flashbacks or other bullshit.

Watched Mad Max: Fury Road in IMAX 3D yesterday. One word: Terrific!
While walking out someone in the crowd quipped "Yaar, tum log hamesha mujhe aisi ghatiya movies dikhane kyu lejaate ho". Well, to each his own...but IMO, the majority of Indians have a terrible taste at the movies.

Disclaimer - I haven't watched the original movie, went for this movie purely based on they reviews and hype on various sites.

It was a fantastic gripping action movie, not sure why so much hype about it, it is purely cinematography and action sequences. Theron's performance was out standing. As a comparison, I thought Kingsman: The Secret Service was far more entertaining, but it wont get the a 9/10 on IMDB or ~99% on RT.

Disclaimer - I haven't watched the original movie, went for this movie purely based on they reviews and hype on various sites.

It was a fantastic gripping action movie, not sure why so much hype about it, it is purely cinematography and action sequences. Theron's performance was out standing. As a comparison, I thought Kingsman: The Secret Service was far more entertaining, but it wont get the a 9/10 on IMDB or ~99% on RT.

Kingsman was great fun but this was easily a better movie for me. Not just for the action, it is about the way the whole movie was put together. All the tiny things that were put in to make sure the pacing wasn't killed.

e.g.
That first tattoo shot where they list his blood type doesn't make us question the scene where he starts giving blood to Furiosa later in the move

And most interesting is that there is so much character development during the movie, from Nux to the Wives to Furiosa, with so little dialogue.

Kingsman was great fun but this was easily a better movie for me. Not just for the action, it is about the way the whole movie was put together. All the tiny things that were put in to make sure the pacing wasn't killed.

e.g.
That first tattoo shot where they list his blood type doesn't make us question the scene where he starts giving blood to Furiosa later in the move

And most interesting is that there is so much character development during the movie, from Nux to the Wives to Furiosa, with so little dialogue.

Yes, I agree about the limited dialogue et al.

As for the rationale, wasn't it elementary? Compared to Nolan movies -

Case he was labelled a universal donor, right?

Yes, I agree about the limited dialogue et al.

As for the rationale, wasn't it elementary? Compared to Nolan movies -

Case he was labelled a universal donor, right?

Exactly. Most other movies would have thrown in a dialogue stating that fact during that scene. Or had flashbacks about Max. Or Furiosa. Small things like that elevate this movie to a 9/10 for me. It isn't the complexity of the movie. I would compare this to Speed. Straightforward plot but the screen play and action beats are what make it.

MadMax Fury Road - 7/10 Action, Stunning cinematography and locations, more action. Tom keeps his mouth shut.
I didnt find the story or acting anything special. This is probably the first movie that I watched in 3d which doesnt have that problem with perspective. most of the movies like the new avengers etc... if you watch them in 3d it feels as if everything is at a very small scale like toys. the vehicles, buildings etc feel as if they are toys on a table. This movie did not feel like that. really great cinematography.

Exactly. Most other movies would have thrown in a dialogue stating that fact during that scene. Or had flashbacks about Max. Or Furiosa. Small things like that elevate this movie to a 9/10 for me. It isn't the complexity of the movie. I would compare this to Speed. Straightforward plot but the screen play and action beats are what make it.

I dont know man, cant seem to get myself to rate it 9/10, but a good enjoyable movie, with a subtle message about humanity.

MadMax Fury Road - 7/10 Action, Stunning cinematography and locations, more action. Tom keeps his mouth shut.
I didnt find the story or acting anything special. This is probably the first movie that I watched in 3d which doesnt have that problem with perspective. most of the movies like the new avengers etc... if you watch them in 3d it feels as if everything is at a very small scale like toys. the vehicles, buildings etc feel as if they are toys on a table. This movie did not feel like that. really great cinematography.

Couldnt agree more!!

Age Of Ultron - 8/10. Pure entertainment. Seems they not only used James Spader's voice for Ultron, his mannerisms were there too. Esp. the head tilt. Loved every minute of it.

Yeah, i rate it the same.

Madmax will have to wait. GF wants to watch Pitch Perfect 2 first tomorrow. No choice.

Kingsman Secret Service 8/10: music reminded me of Incredibles and Samuel Jackson was Syndrome, then it reminded me of Quentin Tarantino and then those cheeky and quirky jokes with a straight face. Fun movie to watch. Aaand I was expecting a Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy type movie

Impatiently waiting for TWMR, Chauthi Koot and Masaan.

Aankhon Dekhi - 7.8/10

Sanjay Mishra shines. Movie felt silly in the beginning, but wasnt able to turn it off. Enjoyed it.

Sweet Smell of Success - 8.2/10

Burt Lancaster just nailed it, and everybody around as well. What performance!
Not being a huge fan of drama made this a delayed watch, it was simply Magnificent!

The Asphalt Jungle - 8/10

Superb stuff. Film noir done very well.

Blood Simple - 7.8/10
Pretty good movie. Something in the category of After hours

Kingsman: The Secret Service - 7.7/10

They had to ruin it with cheesy stupidity (esp towards the end) :banghead:

Last edited:
Tanu Weds Manu : 8.5/10 : Awesome movie. Great dialogues and fun moments. Keeps you engaged till end.

Home (animated) : 7.5/10 : nothing great in the movie, but good one time watch.

Ex-Machina : 8.5/10
Here's a sci-fi story without any actions/explosions that truly rests on the ideas, characters, their conversations and possible motivations. With amazing performances by all the 3 leads and some nice visual effects, the movie makes you ponder over the evolution of the AI and its implications. The moviw is quite eerily atmospheric and the dialogues keep you wondering the actual motivations of the characters. Highly recommended for the real sci-fi fans.

It was a fantastic gripping action movie, not sure why so much hype about it, it is purely cinematography and action sequences. Theron's performance was out standing.

You have to watch Beyond Thunderdome, to understand why the movie was hyped and highly anticipated. And the soundtrack too. Tina Turner informs Mel Gibson (Max)...."this is the Thunderdome", gets the viewer ready for grit and dirt. To which, they upped the ante, multiple notches in Fury Road. The villains have been the captivating forte of these series.

Tanu Weds Manu Returns 6/10 : Yeah there's some funny scenes. But most of the time they over did till it becomes irritating. Also, screenplay is weak - in the 2nd half, everything becomes messy.
But but but --- Kangana is astonishing, specially in that Haryani girl role - Kusum/Datto. I can watch the movie again just for her.

Back