Rate the Last Movie You Saw...

Udta Punjab -9.99/10.

Seriously this is the by far the most visceral movie I have ever seen come out in India.

Alia Bhatt redefines what a mainstream actress is capable of.She is not the Student of the Year anymore but the Master of the Decade......

Wasseypur was awesome but this movie will hit you in places(especially in Alia Bhatts' scenes) in the corners of your brain and heart that were never touched by the mindless crap that Bollywood mass produces in 100 crore club formats...

It is perfectly understandable why the powers in place wanted to crimp this movie to water it down to the pure mindlessness that we the people are spoon fed on a daily basis.

Hats off to the people who made this movie....

P.S. The 0.01 I have reserved for the future for something from Kashyap

Last edited:
Udta Punjab : 8/10
Uncompromising and ruthless when comes to narrating a hard reality or bitter truth unapologetically. Riveting performance by the lead protagonists makes it a memorable movie ; especially deglam look and superb performance by Alia, shows what she's capable of. Shaheed does his usual best (much akin to Kaminey role) and keeps us hooked and entertained in otherwise ART movie.

Coming to Negatives :
Kareena and her Romance looks bit out of place in otherwise well written movie.
its tad too long and boring at times, with some gross inconsistencies in the script. Though I understand Punjabi well, usage should have been limited for a national audience. It'd be actually rated 7/10 (from pure cinematic POV) but I want to promote such near to life and hard hitting cinema in future also, one extra point for that.

Thanks CBFC for giving unnecessary publicity when there was nothing to object in the movie (should've cleared with A certificate) - Streisand effect should make this movie and its message reach to a larger audience.
Must watch and highly recommended movie of 2016.

Angry birds : 5/10 avoidable

Rocky Handsome : 7/10.

This is a good movie. It good have been really better: if the editing had been done properly and the villains were a bit toned down in terms of being grotesque and over-acting. John is quite controlled and suits the role well. In an attempt to go noir they ruined it.

Last edited:
X-Men : Apocalypse - 6/10
Getting bored of comic book adaptations/superhero movies now, this was a slightly above average one at best.
The villain seemed intimidating at first but never reaches his full potential, story lacks a bit of direction because there are just too many characters and side stories which don't feel fleshed out, the infinity war movies will probably suffer from the same problem, have to say the cgi quality was top notch thg.

The Brothers Grimsby - 8/10
Idiotic, ridiculous & disgusting which was exactly what I signed up for. Sacha's last two movies were mostly a miss for me but he's back in the game with this one.
Just keep your brain aside and enjoy it for what it is.

Eye In The Sky - 7/10
I'm not really a big fan of war/conflict movies since the mid 2000's since most of em are just propaganda pieces.
This one though focuses on a different aspect of war instead of the shoot shoot bang bang stuff, they've managed to create tension with a simple plot which makes you root for the innocent civilians for a change.

1) Finding Dory - 7.8/10
Was a fun movie for majority of its run. The soundtrack was absolutely immersive and animation was top drawer. Def a worthy movie for IMAX.

It is not without its share of criticism. Too much of Dory and lesser focus on other characters. Too much of flashbacks. The documentary BLACKFISH (watch this one people) shown to the movie team surely had an adverse effect on how it panned after the interval.
The fact about the shark whale fact, too much howling, and that Septopus driving?!?! That particular scene esp ..
.. went from Good to being so bad that it started to look good. But thankfully, only 15 mins worth of goof ups there. Not disappointed really, but aint watching this twice fs. (Haven't seen Finding Nimmo twice either, so..)

PS: Credit and post credit scenes are there. So hold on if you indeed watch this one.
Also, The pixar short movie 'Piper' was fabulous. Felt like live action movie on many instances!

Warning - [DO NOT GOOGLE THE NAME Robert Durst. You ll spoil the documentary for yourself]

2) The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst (TV Mini-Series) - 8.5/10

Super stuff. How an innocuous looking man's name gets embroiled in a spate of murders, and how during a course of time he is cleared- accused again-cleared is something to be seen. The fact that a team of documentary makers unravel the real mystery, something which the feds were not able to achieve was fantastic. Man's family background and his own issues are another angle altogether.

3) Baaton Baaton Mein - 6/10
Fizzled disappoingly. Had high hopes, and kinda glad that never rushed to see this one.

Mr. India - 10/10 on a rewatch

We ought to put a stop to these promo people showing up here. ;P

X-Men : Apocalypse -
Getting bored of comic book adaptations/superhero movies now, this was a slightly above average one at best.

The super hero movies started to appear as a con about an year back. It is like how our useless mainstream movie people work. Wake up one day, take a stock of depleting coffers, and will invent an entirely new hero to get their cash registers clinking again. Fully expect them to come up with movies based on garbage man, doped man, safety pin man and maybe even 'Run Away From Danger Man'

Last edited:
Watched
The Gift : 5/10 : slow paced. not much content either.
Spotlight : 7/10 : decent movie. Journalistic investigations nicely presented. Sad part was, it's based on true events.

@Spacescreamer That has always been the case in Hollywood, milk while you still can has always been their mantra. They overdid and killed those spaghetti westerns and mafia movies and now they're doing the same with the entire comic book thing. I've never really been a big fan of these adaptations because on a certain level they are just downright silly but I don't mind watching em either but almost every major release this year has been a superhero/es movie.
How about some proper dramas with a stellar starcast for grown ups for a change.
P.S. What's the tone of Finding Dory, childish or universally appealing ?

The super hero movies started to appear as a con about an year back. It is like how our useless mainstream movie people work. Wake up one day, take a stock of depleting coffers, and will invent an entirely new hero to get their cash registers clinking again. Fully expect them to come up with movies based on garbage man, doped man, safety pin man and maybe even 'Run Away From Danger Man'
I don't know about others but "Run Away from Danger Man" would be interesting :p
That aside its simply business to try and stick to a working formula, its like Indian film makers churning out low brow comedies for years - started with Govinda and still going strong.

@Spacescreamer How about some proper dramas with a stellar starcast for grown ups for a change.
P.S. What's the tone of Finding Dory, childish or universally appealing ?

It will appeal to adults, but they did botch up things to a good degree. I still recommend a hall viewing for this one.
Dory is everywhere. They had other characters too, but too many times the blue tang gets in the frame. Don't know how much influence that Blackfish factor weighed in with, but the movie was not as tout.

There are some heart tugging moments, and some people even are of the opinion that IF this one had preceded Finding Nemo, it would have fared much better vis a vis the ongoing reviews.
Ellen DeGeneres really has done a fabulous job.

Independence Day 2 - Disappointing. CGI heavy and was not so intense as the first one. Saw it in IMAX for the CGI and even the effects are not outstanding just good.

Ki & Ka : 7/10 good movie, very natural & spontaneous jokes . Set on a difficult premise from Indian perspective but scripted very well. Kareena gives a very powerful performance which is one of the very best in 2016. Only sore point is Arjun Kapoors acting, he has a expression less face & he doesn't gel into the character. Bit slow narrative but does a justice to the topic.

Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice The Ultimate edition - 6.5/10

So DC released the Jack Snyder "R" rated cut. It does smooth over some of the plot points like the ending and the whole "bell has been rung" or Metropolitan City and Gotham being across the river but still a jarring experience.

Batman v Superman - 6/10
-1 for Zack Synder. Though he delivers great visuals, he sometimes forgets about the story. The end fight was great but then there are some sequences in the fight made just for the visuals
-2 for the plot. I mean seriously this had the weakest premise I have ever seen in a movie. The resolution was similarly weak. Given they had to setup the Justice League villain in one movie, they even leave some gigantic plot holes.
-1 for Jesse Eisenberg and his ugly wig. The problem is he was more like Jesse Eisenberg "playing" Lex rather than being one with the character.

Many people seem to like introduction of Wonder Woman in the fight but I am not sure if Gal Gadot will be able to pull off an individual movie.

And now Warner Brother does this:
The video shows how Lex was captured after the fight and why does he says "bell has been rung".
Total addition to run time which could have explained Lex's reaction? a Minute. Have to wonder who cut the movie

Back