Recommend Air Conditioner - 2011 Thread

How is the Carrier Duarkool range 1.0 ton for 10x10x10 room ? Room is in ground floor and not direct sunlight as well as no wall get direct sunlight after 10 A.M (rough).

Quoting price 24-25k (5 Star split AC) without installation. Don't know the actual model no yet.

Please any comments will help.

What about Samsung AS 183BSD .. its 3 star ,1.5 ton and available in 29K at futurebazaar with 9 months EMI (0% interest and processing fee)

I am looking this for a 12*10*10 room with 2 doors and 1 window facing north on 1st floor.

I need a 1.5 ton window ac.

My budget is around 17-20k.

which would be the best ac (brand and model) near this price bracket?

the copper cables these days come in sqmm sizes.
you can run upto 1 ton ac on 2.5 sqmm cable
and for 1.5 tonne and 2.0 tonnes you require 4.00sqmm cable
hope this helps

linuxtechie said:
Folks,

What kind of wiring is needed? I read something about gauge, then there is awg, swg. What do we follow in India? How much is needed for 25 Amps? If I go in a shop they need some unit in diameter or cross-section, can someone throw a light on this? Referring to this: American Wire Gauge table and AWG Electrical Current Load Limits with skin depth frequencies

Is 7 AWG good enough for 25 Amps? Do I just tell the shop guy gauge size 7?

+LT

Guys i need to buy an AC for my parents room as their older one went Kaput. Bangalore heat is getting unbearable these days :mad: So need to replace their AC.

Budget is around 25k and looking for a 1.5 Ton Split AC. The room is on the 1st floor and has windows facing north and west. The AC is used only in the summer months (say March - June/July), and usually just a few hours(say about 6) each day. Running costs are not a big deal either so im guessing i dont need to go for a 4 or 5 star rated AC. The budget is silghtly flexible but obviously would prefer to spend as less as possible. Thanks in advance :)

Go with reputed brands avoid Videocon & Onida likes, as in extreme heat condition i.e. above 42c they wont perform effectively.

Look for Samsung, Voltas, Carrier (2 ton & above ONLY) etc.

TheIndian said:
I have another Question, do you have another room you would like to cool too ? adjacent or near to this one, - one that could be served by the same external unit ?

I would buy an inverter unit, 1.5 or 2 tons - multi split if I have another room to cool, would be a killer,

any budget in mind ?
I have a room occupied by my mom and my kid which I intend to cool. Size 12x10x10 next to another one (master bed) separated by 4 feet passage the master bed is a little crazy design with 16x12x10 with a 10x10 Glass window. Initially i was only planning to use AC for the parents' room but this particular post of yours got me curious. How can this be done?

The parents' room has only a 5x4 window and only one of walls is "exposed". The master bed on the other hand has two walls exposed and one of them (the worst hit waste facing wall) is the one with massive window.

I am assuming I'm gonna need a 1.5 for the master bed and a 1 Tonne or less for the parents' room. Usage for the parents' room is mostly round the clock for 3-4 months in summer and sporadically otherwise.

The master bed is also occupies a small section where I work. I telecommute a lot and hence will need cooling for the better part of summer rest of the year though me and wife both do not appreciate ACs much.

Thanks in advance.

sarang said:
I have a room occupied by my mom and my kid which I intend to cool. Size 12x10x10 next to another one (master bed) separated by 4 feet passage the master bed is a little crazy design with 16x12x10 with a 10x10 Glass window. Initially i was only planning to use AC for the parents' room but this particular post of yours got me curious. How can this be done?

The parents' room has only a 5x4 window and only one of walls is "exposed". The master bed on the other hand has two walls exposed and one of them (the worst hit waste facing wall) is the one with massive window.

I am assuming I'm gonna need a 1.5 for the master bed and a 1 Tonne or less for the parents' room. Usage for the parents' room is mostly round the clock for 3-4 months in summer and sporadically otherwise.

The master bed is also occupies a small section where I work. I telecommute a lot and hence will need cooling for the better part of summer rest of the year though me and wife both do not appreciate ACs much.

Thanks in advance.
I precisely didnt get when you meant adjacent rooms. I will tell my scenario where you can use same ODU but two IDU. My room(study table) and the master bedroom are adjascent to each other. Both the rooms have one wall with 4 window panes. This is exactly where you can use Hitachi Atom Ac's to cool both the rooms. Take a look here. Atom Square : Hitachi Home & Life Solutions (India) Ltd.

Folks,

Those who are interested in purchasing AC, follow below guidelines:
  1. Head to BEE Website to identify latest AC's available.
  2. Identify your level of BEE rating. Not neccesarily lower BEE rating mean lower cost.
  3. Once you have selected your choice of AC from BEE website. Have them sorted against there date of passing and ratings.
  4. Next identify the dealers who sell them. LG, Samsung have the dealers mentioned on website.
  5. Negotiate, I have seen a latest 5 star Samsung AC 1.5 ton been quoted from 37 to 33k.
  6. AC installation is extra. About 2-3k.
  7. You would probably need a stabilizer depending upon AC.
+LT

linuxtechie said:
Folks,

[*]Negotiate, I have seen a latest 5 star Samsung AC 1.5 ton been quoted from 37 to 33k.

[*]AC installation is extra. About 2-3k.

[/LIST]

+LT
I went to the Panasonic brand shop near Daruwala pool today. They quoted 31K + 1500 for installation with 3 mtr copper tubing. Additional tubing at 500INR / mtr. This is for the 1.5 Tonne - 5* BEE Saphire model on their website. Sounds interesting to me. The 1 tonne in the same range is about 26K.

They also have Daikin and was quoted 27.5 and 23.5 plus installation for 1.5 and 1 Tonne respectvely for the 2* BEE model.

I'll most probably finalize tomorrow.

sarang said:
I went to the Panasonic brand shop near Daruwala pool today. They quoted 31K + 1500 for installation with 3 mtr copper tubing. Additional tubing at 500INR / mtr. This is for the 1.5 Tonne - 5* BEE Saphire model on their website. Sounds interesting to me. The 1 tonne in the same range is about 26K.

Thats a nice price. Can you post the model number here?

+LT

I got the Panasonic Inverter Silver installed yesterday. Installation is free by Panasonic Brand Shop. The AC comes with 13ft copper pipe and insulation. Any extra length beyond 13th is chargeable. Stand needs to be bought too. Required to purchase additional wiring and drain pipe. Installation was for 140 sq ft room. Only one side of the room wall is exposed to the sun.

CS-PS18MKY | econ Inverter - Silver | Single Split Air Conditioner | Air Conditioner | Home Appliances | Products | Panasonic

After switching on measured the current with handheld clamp meter (waited for compressor to switch on also). Showed 8.5A. As suggested by panasonic website the running current is 6.9A. No efficiency ratings mentioned.

When the room temperature settles down to predefined settings the current drops to around 5A. I measured it at regular intervals but did not see any further drop. still investigating though. That means power consumption varies between 1100W to 2000W approximately.

The compressor is awfully quiet. Its more silent than the indoor unit. In fact the air blowing out of the indoor unit makes more noise in comparison. Cooling is fast. 5 fan settings with auto function. 5 vertical air direction blower settings. Temperature maintenance is not efficient as it should be. But i guess this is present in all AC.

kept remote settings at 24. Felt like temperature dropping to 22 and then climbing to 26 before the compressor switches on again and starts cooling.

I think the AC is overkill for my room at present. I could've gotten away with 1 Ton but real summers are yet to begin so waiting for the real test.

Did not test the economy mode yet. Don't know if this mode further saves any more power in the long run.

I just purchased a 2star 1.5 tonne Croma branded AC(same as the voltas vertis--both are TATA brands) from the croma store - ahmedabad. I made a down payment of Re.1 and will be paying EMIs of Rs.2124x8. The AC comes with a 1 year warranty for the body and the compressor made by Panasonic has 5 years of warranty with it. All in all a good buy.

Just a reminder Nagpur residents are still paying octroi . This cost me Rs 43,000 . I also considered Hitachi but it costs Rs.10,000 more. i-TEC: Hitachi Home & Life Solutions (India) Ltd. A basic inverter model is also available for 39,000 .

The main reason for buying an inverter series was I also own an Panasonic inverter refrigerator for the better part of the year. It did save me nearly 40% on electric bills compared to a Godrej fridge.

Considering the AC running for probably 12 hours, 5 years warranty on the AC compressor and benefit of inverter tech i think it's a good long term investment.

sarang said:
@kuantum: Damages?

@Sarang

The panasonic ac's didn't talk about stabilizers (inbuilt). So that way the cost is going to go north by 3k right?

@Kuantum 5A is constantly consumed? Even though the compressor is not running? Ain't that too high?

+LT

Guess did not monitor AC current levels for longer period earlier.

With settings at 30 degrees and lowest fan speed current is 0.9A

As I lower the settings to 16 degrees with highest fan speed the current gradually rises to 5A pauses finally 8.5A

There are more pauses in between as the compressor adjusts itself to highest settings suggesting different operating levels.

linuxtechie said:
@Kuantum 5A is constantly consumed? Even though the compressor is not running? Ain't that too high?

+LT

Back