Reliance Jio introduces new unlimited 5G plans to be available from 3rd July

Yeah well it is only for recharging a number without any active plan. I can see the 395 plan but not the annual one for a secondary number.
I think now the cheapest non 5g plan is the 155 plan with 28 days validity. I will go for that when my annual plan ends next year. In any case Jio signal sucks in my office for some reason so for data, I depend on my Airtel postpaid.

If govt. ever bothered about bsnl in the first place they wouldn't had entertained jio and then literally approve everything ambani wanted.
Instead govt. could have called tenders to improve bsnl services and the last option to merge it in a fair stake ratio with a pvt. operator.
I fear, if the current govt. even sells the govt. itself to reliance and form a one-reliance-party or something similar.

Just to clarify, I went to a remotest place where the first network priority should be ideally Bsnl, but the villagers said that bsnl is now history and its all jio jio everywhere.
Thus, jio is only monopolising itself and so reliance.

Secondly, Big bazaar was a hit no matter even if few might hate it but reliance clothing is simply bullshit for the price tag offered. Big bazaar was way better in terms of quality and brands.

Ajio, khujao, batti bujao and what all crap seriously!

There's no stopping to this. I'm also 110% sure ambani is funding bjp just to allow him to kickass.

Sums up pretty nicely how Jio destroyed the telecom sector with predatory pricing flush with money(petrochemical) and cozying up to the govt by not paying taxes.

Same situation here. I probably talk 2 to 3 hours a month (including those annoyingly long family calls which i simply can't avoid), and I need about 1 GB data per month. 395 plan was already pushing it, now it's 22% up.
I would guess this will be the situation for 80% of the population on this board.

Odd as it might sound, you are describing a rich man's problem. Most of the folks here get their data from a DSL or a fiber line . Work communication is through Teams or WebEx. The phone is primarily for OTP/Uber or occasional family communication.

The main guzzlers of data are the people down the economic ladder. Everyday morning, my cook walks in with her phone playing some bhajan or soap opera (at full volume, she doesn't switch it off while cooking ). The construction workers around my house are always watching youtube during breaks (and some listen to music while working). Security guys, esp on night duty, are prob teleco's main users.

For the reliance accountant, a cheap keepalive plan makes little sense. The ones who will jump on it are the people 'can' pay (yes, they know the cost of the phone you are using, what area you live in and what other digital services you pay for every month). The poor people that everyone seems to care so much about don't want it.

Although Ambani and Mittal are a good target for attacks, the people screwing us are our IIT+IIM friends. Those brilliant classmates our parents always compared us with. They continue to be a problem :)

Last edited:
Wait for a week, there's 1899 plan too
The 1899 plan is the old 1559 plan after price increase and will not have unlimited 5G data any more.

My primary SIM is an Airtel one that is part of a family plan paid for by the employer of one of my family members. I kept a Jio SIM mainly to use Jio TV on TV for traditional channels, for new site registrations and I think it is also needed for non-premium JioCinema content that is not open to all.

Anyway, for my use case, I picked up a JioPhone Prima and put the Jio SIM in it with call forwarding. Presently, it doesn't allow me to recharge with the Jio Prima plan which is 895 for 336 days as my current plan is still ongoing but will try to get on this plan when the current one expires.
So,

Just curious, how do you know that they will re-introdce it (with price hike) ?
It is stated on multiple websites.

Opt for it if only to maintain the SIM or the reasons @t3chg33k mentioned.
Be afraid, be very afraid if you intend to use it for anything else. My dad owns one and often tends to tear his hair out only to realize he is bald now.
I occasionally need OTPs on my alternative number. My current solution is to recharge after two months since Jio allows incoming SMS without service validity. This way, I recharge for a few months and use it for 12 months. According to TRAI rules, a number can only be disconnected if it hasn't been recharged for 90 days. I'll get a cheap jio phone once they remove this benefit.

Anyone who has a BSNL number in Grace 2 period can do recharge of 1199/ and get 1499/ plan benefits
1198/ gives 300min /month 3Gb/month 365 days
1199/ or 1149/ gives UL calls 24GB data 336 days

posting as anyone has a spare number and in doldrums can take an informed decision whether to get that BSNL number out or not

Opt for it if only to maintain the SIM or the reasons @t3chg33k mentioned.
Be afraid, be very afraid if you intend to use it for anything else. My dad owns one and often tends to tear his hair out only to realize he is bald now.
To be honest, KaiOS is not the worst feature phone OS as long as you don't actually try to do too much with it i.e. use all the Jio bloatware apps. At least performance is snappy enough for something that uses the Unisoc SoC.

On another note, the JioPhone Prima plan finally appeared for my number on MyJio less than 24 hours before expiry of previous smartphone plan. Before that it was missing from the list of plans on the MyJio app and didn't work on the Jio website or other recharge apps.

To be honest, KaiOS is not the worst feature phone OS as long as you don't actually try to do too much with it i.e. use all the Jio bloatware apps. At least performance is snappy enough for something that uses the Unisoc SoC.
Eh, even scrolling through a list of messages is slower than a drunken snail. Besides the tacky build of the phone, the buttons stick after some use. I will not touch any of those Jio phones even if to sustain a secondary sim on a cheap plan. Sorry but they are nothing but e-waste.
If I really need to detox then better not to access any phone altogether or use any of those Nokia dumb phones. I will gladly pay more to Motabhai for the plans than lose my mind with those pieces of crap.

Last edited:
Back