Reliance Jio Rollout

@Julian @onlyravi let's wait till commercial launch. I am sure other operators will have provided enough POI by then. Interconnect revenue from Jio will be too high for them to pass up on.

So?

When that happens, i guess more people will be able to rely on them. Till then, it's not reliable at all. (hope someone gets the puns).

The saddest part is the data plans. IMO they're either too pricey or too low on bundled data. I'll stick to my broadband thank you. But then what do I do with my ultra fast 4g? Oh yeah, whatsapp...

For a 'data centric' venture, it's ironic that the best thing is the voice calling.

And dude, chill. No offense was intended, everyone's just giving their opinions here. You seem to be taking it a little personally

When that happens, i guess more people will be able to rely on them. Till then, it's not reliable at all. (hope someone gets the puns).

The saddest part is the data plans. IMO they're either too pricey or too low on bundled data. I'll stick to my broadband thank you. But then what do I do with my ultra fast 4g? Oh yeah, whatsapp...

For a 'data centric' venture, it's ironic that the best thing is the voice calling.

And dude, chill. No offense was intended, everyone's just giving their opinions here. You seem to be taking it a little personally
We're missing a bigger picture here ;

When Reliance announced infocomm in 2001 ; they offered CDMA mobile phone for rs 500 (dumb phones used to cost 5k+ then) ! They were the first to announce free incoming calls (we used to pay for incoming calls too)! Fearing a reliance assault Airtel & other operators announced free incoming from the day of Reliance launch. All networks became free incoming since then.

In 2016, they're offering free voice calls, no wonder people are queuing up for the connections. They're not targeting the affluent Smartphone users currently. They're targeting millions of users who don't own a Smartphone and don't use mobile Internet. Smartphone users are a minority amongst mobile phone users in general.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/saritha...-the-excitements-just-beginning/#59e316cb5ac2

There's a majority of mobile phone users who charge for 20rs or 50rs vouchers per month and painfully restrict their outgoing calls usage to the same budget.
Rs 149/m will lure them with unlimited voice calls and cheaper Lyf phones & 400mb free internet will tease them with the advantages of using a Smartphone. Once their data needs increase, they'll be forced to upgrade to 499/m plan. For a person with WiFi at home and office currently 4gb of mobile Internet should suffice if used judiciously.

For current Smartphone users, This 3 month of free data will ruin all our discipline as regards to mobile data usage and we may stick on to Jio considering that we'll have to pay only for the data. Other networks will be forced to fall in line and offer competitive data plans. Whether you use Jio or not, every Indian Smartphone user will get benefited from introduction of Jio. Like online shopping tamed offline traders, Jio launch will tame the autocratic behaviour of other networks, especially Airtel. Probably the "#achchedin" for Mobile Internet users in India has just begun.

Yup, the 4G wireless internet just like 3G earlier is meant to augment the internet requirements of a person while he is on the move. It is laughable to even consider replacing your home wireline broadband with a wireless connection. There is No way I am going to replace my Fiber connection with a 3G/4G wireless connection.

Jio should launch their Jio Giga/ Jio fiber plans soon, they have already laid Lakhs of kms of Fiber cables throughout the country and most of India is saddled with copper connections and will jump to their 100Mbps/ 1Gbps plans in an instant.

Doc, you're absolutely right about rcom changing the indian telecom industry with Rs. 1/min calling and free incoming, and while I wasn't swayed, being happy with my Orange number and decent sony ericsson handset, I too reaped the benefits of their bold moves.

However, the huge lines outside reliance digital stores were much before the free voice calls for life was announced and confirmed in the AGM. I already knew from sources that charging for data and keeping voice free would be their strategy, when I myself went and got a free SIM. It was, like most others, to make full use of the 3-month holiday. Don't confuse freebie greed for demand.

Of course, free calling has significant ramifications, which is exactly what I was saying above in response to vaibhavyagnik, for a company all about data, their USP is voice !

If you refer to the link I posted above and this one, you'll see that there is a hole in their strategy.

Deutsche Bank: "The lowest monthly plan of Rs 149 is in line with the current price points prevalent in the industry. The Rs 500 plan is significantly higher than the industry Arpu of around Rs 200"

They're completely forcing the 200-400 ARPU band users to jump straight to 500. Which makes sense for them business wise. But leaves some of us sorely disappointed with their pricing. My current 1GB of 4G data bundled with my vodafone plan remains largely unused except when i'm roaming. And I don't think I need close to 4GB when i'm in town. 1-2GB is fine.

And RS4 dude, you can't compare Jio 4G with current mobile 3G speeds. They're multiple times faster than most people's broadband connections. 38mbps D / 6mpbs U here is no joke. JIO's grand plan of course is to have complete control, and their home packages would seal the deal for them.[DOUBLEPOST=1472901109][/DOUBLEPOST]Completely forgot to add, 4G is not compatible with current mobile phone battery technology. I'm charging my phone like twice a day now ! I foresee a huge rise in demand for powerbanks :p[DOUBLEPOST=1472901351][/DOUBLEPOST]Usage report: 2mbps is not enough for Jio TV. It barely plays without skipping/buffering at high quality. Jio Cinema seems to work smoothly enough at 2mbps. Min. req. would be 3-4mbps imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
it was reliance who brought incoming call free.[DOUBLEPOST=1472915498][/DOUBLEPOST]when reliance came out with incoming free, other operators made it free for new connection.
later on it became free for existing users.
i had bought my first phone that time.

it was reliance who brought incoming call free.[DOUBLEPOST=1472915498][/DOUBLEPOST]when reliance came out with incoming free, other operators made it free for new connection.
later on it became free for existing users.
i had bought my first phone that time.
Oh yes. It was launched under wll liecense and made use of holes in rules to offer full Mobility. Thats how it offered free incoming. After 5 months , may 2003 free incoming was available across all cell phone operators.

We're missing a bigger picture here ;
I think you're missing a big part of the picture here. Whatsapp Calls and other VOIP calls have already taken up a big chunk. It was a matter of a year before it would have been free either way. Almost everyone has stable wifi for whatsapp calls.

What Jio has done smartly is accept this reality and move ahead. If you see Voice is not really free. The min plan is 150 bucks. How does that translate to free calls? Other plans add data only, so the addition paid is just for data. Get it? If you dont subscribe for a plan the call rates are 2p per second.

The ARPU (Avg revenue per user) of indian telecos is 180 if i remember correctly, Jio base plan is 149. So they aren't doing you any favour, they are earning pretty well from you. If you change call habits and call from home wifi, you can save those 149 bucks too. Its not revolutionary, its just packaged in a way that you dont realize it.

As for pre launch offers, they are not even at 10% of their capacity, judge them post full launch and 100mil subscribers

What Jio has done smartly is accept this reality and move ahead. If you see Voice is not really free. The min plan is 150 bucks. How does that translate to free calls? Other plans add data only, so the addition paid is just for data. Get it? If you dont subscribe for a plan the call rates are 2p per second.

And you cannot add a data pack without subscribing to a base plan. So if you plan to use voice calls of another company and data of Jio by just paying for data, you cannot do that.

I think you're missing a big part of the picture here. Whatsapp Calls and other VOIP calls have already taken up a big chunk. It was a matter of a year before it would have been free either way. Almost everyone has stable wifi for whatsapp calls.

The ARPU (Avg revenue per user) of indian telecos is 180 if i remember correctly, Jio base plan is 149. So they aren't doing you any favour, they are earning pretty well from you. If you change call habits and call from home wifi, you can save those 149 bucks too. Its not revolutionary, its just packaged in a way that you dont realize it.

As for pre launch offers, they are not even at 10% of their capacity, judge them post full launch and 100mil subscribers
How can you forget, Before entry of Jio, we were forwarding emails to TRAI in favour of net neutrality, apparently Airtel and Vodafone had escalated the matters to charge a separate tariffs for VoIP?

Its a good deal at 149 to have unlimited free outgoing calls ! VoIP and WhatsApp calls still used data and aren't equivalent of unlimited free outgoing calls, especially to non WhatsApp numbers , dumb phone or landlines users.

Do you seriously think Airtel & others would've brought us free unlimited calls without Jio impact? They'd have waited and lobbied for differential pricing till its inevitable.
BTW I'm neither a fan of Jio, nor I believe Ambanis would run this at a loss, they'll extract much more than they've invested, if they get a near monopoly. Reliance group has done this repeatedly in the past & that's their modus operandi ! Ambanis if I remember correctly had their own model of violation of net neutrality to begin with, now apparently they're forced to work in favour of end user due to Jio launch, ultimately users are getting benefited because of the competition.

It is beneficial for customers in direct or indirect way.

Just look at my case, I have BSNL landline broadband and paying around ₹805 currently for 1mbps speed. But within 24hrs from the announcement of Jio plans, BSNL have introduced one more 1mbps plan for ₹499 even after taxes that would save me at-least ₹250 every month for same speed from same vendor. Plus I would also try to get a free Jio sim or would port my current Idea no. to Jio. Which would save me some more bucks on net packs for at least 4 months.

Plus I have another BSNL landline broadband in my home town. So I would save some more money on that connection too.

All I am trying to say here that more competition between companies is always good for customers.

In the eco times article i linked earlier, Deutsche Bank says ARPU is ~200, so you're about spot on. Which is why i keep repeating myself like a broken record, by not having a single plan in the ARPU band of 200-400, they're just forcing everyone to spend more, unnecessarily.

Although I would say, don't underestimate their capabilities. I'm pretty sure after investing all those tons of rupees they've accounted for handling their target market share. I'm having poor network issues in certain areas and was wondering why, when vodafone 4g is super strong and fast, and Jio seems to have installed towers like every 500m. Figures that they're just empty towers, no antennae or cabling on them! So their work is far from done.

Its a good deal at 149 to have unlimited free outgoing calls !

I think this whole 'free' calls thing is overrated and overhyped. I mean the free part not the calls part. As you said, it's definitely coming out of somewhere (data? RIL oilgas?) because none of us should be so naive to think that something's free for the first time in human civilisation. And the most important thing people also fail to realise is how many calls can one really make? especially after the novelty factor wears off. There's a practical limit to it, mostly time and battery. And you'll either be using voice or data (usually) not both. So it's not really as big a deal, in terms of being a liability to Jio. That it would shake up the market is undeniable, the incumbent operator have made a lot of money off us over the years, they're definitely gonna feel the pinch now.[DOUBLEPOST=1472935640][/DOUBLEPOST]
Has your 'Unlimited High Speed' Data in my jio app home page changed to just 'Unlimited Data'?

It hasn't changed on the website but definitely has in the app. Probably because the JPO was unlimited but the JWO will be capped at 4GB and 128kbps after, which is not high speed.

Back