Samsung Captivate aka Galaxy S at 21K !

People, please backup nv_data.bin or efs folder before you screw around. This is the thing which you will need incase you screw. and no, there wont be anyone creating these files from scratch for you apart from via rma.

madnav said:
all you have to do is modify the nv_data.bin file and replace it with stock.. :/

you would have learnt something that would help you big time if/when something goes wrong.

and i would advise backing up of /efs folder before attempting to use unlocking methods. This is the only one can imagine to resurrect from IMEI issues.
Err, actually it was my first attempt and I didnt wanna break (brick) anything, so..:ashamed: Will do it manually when the next shipment arrives. :p

Achcha, I got a question. What exactly can go wrong if an unlocker app like SGS Unlock Pro is used? Just asking for the sake of knowledge. :p

Also, if I re-upgrade to Froyo after unlocking with this app, will it stay unlocked?

Edit : Btw, that SGS unlock pro also has a lock function. That means, it probably backups the nv_data.bin file and overwrites the edited file to lock the phone again, right? :p

unlocking the network lock is a permanent process. so dont worry.

as for automated processes.

The process basically handles the nv_data.bin , if that are based on turning the lock off without entering unlock code.

if the program does not store a backup on a safe location (not the phone) and if the nv_data.bin is mis-manipulated (can happen if your nv_data is already somewhat messed) then you are kind of fcked.

also, ask for pic of imei from phone settings>about>status

the messed imei, development imei 0044xxxxxxxx works with some carriers in US, they do not with indian carriers.. These are the phones with fcked imei and maynot be repaired if nv_data is badly messed.

Soulfire is kind of going through this issue and trying to resolve. we have tried many methods to manipulate the nv_data.bin but nothing to avail.

I think we should put an advisory about unlocking the phones in the first page of this thread. Many of us have gone through this issue and as madnav said soulfire is still facing this issue. In my phone nothing worked, the adb shell refused to get su permissions though the phone was rooted.

bigbyte said:
I think we should put an advisory about unlocking the phones in the first page of this thread. Many of us have gone through this issue and as madnav said soulfire is still facing this issue. In my phone nothing worked, the adb shell refused to get su permissions though the phone was rooted.
you have to root it again.

the issue happens with some phones.

also select 'stay awake' when you enable debug mode in development so that you get intimation for SU permission on phone while asking for rights through adb

madnav said:
unlocking the network lock is a permanent process. so dont worry.

as for automated processes.

The process basically handles the nv_data.bin , if that are based on turning the lock off without entering unlock code.

Yep, I didnt have to enter the unlock code. After reverting back to stock 2.1 rom and rooting the phone, I installed the app, pressed unlock and it said, "Unlock successful, Please reboot phone. " I shut down the phone, inserted my sim card and on the next boot, viola! Saw Vodafone IN on the notification window. :D

Did the same for the phone that was sealed. Only, I didnt need to reinstall ROM as it was on 2.1 already. Just rooted it and used the app to unlock successfully.

madnav said:
also, ask for pic of imei from phone settings>about>status

the messed imei, development imei 0044xxxxxxxx works with some carriers in US, they do not with indian carriers..

Checked my IMEI. Its a proper 15 digit code starting 35xxxxxxxxxxxxx. :)
bigbyte said:
The seller from whom I had bought the phone had updated it to 2.2 via Tmobile's software update and it had somehow made the rooting process impossible. It would not allow reinstalling from unsigned update.zip file. Kept giving signature verification errors. After scourging around XDA-dev for a while came across this solution to revert back to stock 2.1, root and then unlock. I hope you had tried to revert back to stock JFD, and tried to re-root the phone and then try the unlocking. Imo, then it should've been a fairly painless procedure.

Always flash back to stock JFD via ODIN if you face any trouble.

Also it is recommended to flash to stock 2.1 before upgrading to a new 2.2 ROM as it would automatically disable lagfixes and ext4 partitions.

The official Froyo for captivate was released on 28th Feb by At&T. What is it's version number and do we have any ROM based on this?

How long does it take for the phone to clear the customs via Aramex?

My phone has been in customs(according to the status on Aramex) for 2 days now.

viditkalra said:
How long does it take for the phone to clear the customs via Aramex?

My phone has been in customs(according to the status on Aramex) for 2 days now.
Call them on 022 33003300 and wake them up

-This Cryptic Message is brought to you from beyond The MAtrix :p:)

am trying to unlock my captivate from morning and my head is spinning like hell , I have rooted my cell by using samsung captivate one click , and now am confused what to do next ....... I dont have wi-fi at home :( , please guys show some light

If you have any other OS wala mobile [Andro / iOS / Symbian], then tether it and have a WiFi hotspot.

or if you have lappie, use connectify.

^^ why do you need wi-fi to unlock? Just follow the XDA guide. Install rootexplorer first and take a backup of your efs folder. Download the .apk to your pc - transfer to your phone - install and unlock.

Back