Samsung Galaxy R or the LG Optimus 2x..Confused?!

ekrishhh

Disciple
Hi

I'm also Confused between the two like many others!!

The Samsung Galaxy R has more RAM, Battery, A better UI and comes Stock with GB.

LG Optimus 2X has a better Camera and Video Recorder and HDMI. Also, it has a huge following in the custom ROM Scene.

So, which one should I go for? ..(even though i'm more in favour of Galaxy R) .. need ur valuable suggessions :)

Also, is there a possibility of CM on the R or an ICS update? Also, which is the better performer of the two? (shared from sidaster)
original.png

LG Optimus 2X P990
Price: Rs. 19990 (FlipKart - 18/12/2011)
Processor: 1 GHz ARM Cortex-A9, Dual Core
Size: 4 Inches TFT Capacitive (IPS Screen)
RAM: 512MB
Internal: 6.4 GB
Battery: Li-Ion, 1500 mAh
Weight: 139 g

Camera
Primary Camera: 8 Megapixel
Secondary Camera: 1.3 Megapixel
Flash: LED
Video Recording: 1920 x 1080, 30, 24 fps
HD Recording: HD, Full HD

Android v2.2 (Froyo) OS (upgradable to GB)
Other:
Gorilla Glass
HDMI port
LG Optimus 2X P990: Price in India, Reviews, Specification: Flipkart.com

original.png

Samsung Galaxy R I9103
Price: Rs. 20999 (FlipKart - 18/12/2011)
Processor: 1 GHz ARM Cortex-A9, Dual Core
Size: 4.19-inch Super Clear LCD
RAM: 1GB
Internal: 8 GB
Battery: Li-Ion, 1650 mAh
Weight: 132 g

Camera
Primary Camera: 5 Megapixel
Secondary Camera: 1.3 Megapixel
Flash: LED
Video Recording: 1280 x 720, 30 fps
HD Recording: HD

Android v2.3 (Gingerbread) OS

other:
Scratch-resistant glass
TouchWiz UI
No HDMI port
Samsung Galaxy R I9103: Price in India, Reviews, Specification: Flipkart.com

I'm planning to buy any of this in a couple of days!
btw, for Samsung Galaxy R, letsBuy offers some Branded Accessories Kit Worth Rs.1200
Buy Samsung Galaxy R i9103 at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews
...any idea what all this kit contains??

Thanks in Advance :)

Here's the score:

1. Camera: LG 2X

2. Community Support: LG 2X

3. Official ICS Upgrade confirmed: LG 2X

4. Great IPS Screen: LG 2X

5. Lovely Weather and Time Widget: LG 2X

6. Cheaper: LG 2X
Go for it.

Adding to what comp@ddict mentioned, if you're into modding and custom ROMS, then definitely LG O2X. Also, if you have issues handling bigger devices, O2X itself feels pretty big (I'm a Nokia 5800 user of 3 years :ashamed:) and so SGR is even bigger than that

comp@ddict said:
Here's the score:

1. Camera: LG 2X

2. Community Support: LG 2X

3. Official ICS Upgrade confirmed: LG 2X

4. Great IPS Screen: LG 2X

5. Lovely Weather and Time Widget: LG 2X

6. Cheaper: LG 2X
Go for it.

I second that.. Plus I think O2X feels better in hand and does not slip as easily as SGS2 (probably SGR also).. Also SGS2 (SGR looks similar) is in the hands of every tom dick and harry android geek (including me).. O2X gives a kind of exclusivity.. Specs wise there's not much difference between O2X and SGR (although would have been better if O2X had 1 Gig RAM).. Go for it..

Okay..thx for all the inputs.. :)
I'm almost decided on buying Samsung Galaxy R
now let me tell u all why i'm more in favour of Samsung Galaxy R (SGR) ..

The Major factor as far as i'm concerned, is the 1GB RAM..its one thing tht can be said..'the more, the better!'
More RAM means..smooth browsing and gaming experience..tht's a big plus for SGR.
I'm not really into modding and custom ROMS.. so btw Optimus x2 and Galaxy R.. SGR got a better UI in TouchWiz (and comes with
Android v2.3 Gingerbread OS).. thts another plus!

SGR got a better Battery: Li-Ion, 1650 mAh

Bigger Screen
.. although it looks bulky and hard to fit in the pocket...it gives a better viewing experience, whn it comes to watchin movies, browsing net and gaming!... thts a plus for SGR

and brand matters!..btw LG and Samsung..whn it comes to mobiles... well, i think Samsung

Now comes the minuses..
camera :
Optimus x2 got better camera with 8mp and full HD recording
Well, although i will love to hav a full HD recording and 8mp cam in my phone.. i think i can sacrifice those for a better RAM!
and of course, SGR with its 5mp cam and HD recording is not bad either..i seen some samples..and it looks gud!
Samsung Galaxy R Review - Camera, Multimedia and Connectivity
no HDMI port
but, tht won't be missed either!
u can stream media to your HDTV or home entertainment system over DLNA by using the AllShare application, which comes pre-loaded on Galaxy R.

and about ICS upgrade: Well, loaded with 1 GHz ARM Cortex-A9, Dual Core, SGR should definitely be getting a ICS upgrade!..it just a matter of time..i guess!

But..Overall, the deciding factor is this :
Better Camera or Better RAM??..well, i think i go for a better RAM!

Whatsay??

abhishek2600 said:
most of us count tht for the same

yeah, when we're comparing Samsung with Micromax or Spice...

More RAM means..smooth browsing and gaming experience..tht's a big plus for SGR.

Between 512MB and 1GB, it's all about optimization. Else a phone like Xperia play would be terrible at browsing and gaming you say, but hey, Xperia "PLAY". It even has GTA 3 which other single-core droids are having trouble playing.

ekrishhh said:
Okay..thx for all the inputs.. :)

I'm almost decided on buying Samsung Galaxy R

now let me tell u all why i'm more in favour of Samsung Galaxy R (SGR) ..

The Major factor as far as i'm concerned, is the 1GB RAM..its one thing tht can be said..'the more, the better!'

I'm not really into modding and custom ROMS.. so btw Optimus x2 and Galaxy R.. SGR got a better UI in TouchWiz (and comes with

Android v2.3 Gingerbread OS).. thts another plus!

SGR got a better Battery: Li-Ion, 1650 mAh

Bigger Screen
.. although it looks bulky and hard to fit in the pocket...it gives a better viewing experience, whn it comes to watchin movies, browsing net and gaming!... thts a plus for SGR

and brand matters!..btw LG and Samsung..whn it comes to mobiles... well, i think Samsung

Now comes the minuses..

camera :

Optimus x2 got better camera with 8mp and full HD recording

Well, although i will love to hav a full HD recording and 8mp cam in my phone.. i think i can sacrifice those for a better RAM!

and of course, SGR with its 5mp cam and HD recording is not bad either..i seen some samples..and it looks gud!

Samsung Galaxy R Review - Camera, Multimedia and Connectivity

no HDMI port

but, tht won't be missed either!

u can stream media to your HDTV or home entertainment system over DLNA by using the AllShare application, which comes pre-loaded on Galaxy R.

and about ICS upgrade: Well, loaded with 1 GHz ARM Cortex-A9, Dual Core, SGR should definitely be getting a ICS upgrade!..it just a matter of time..i guess!

But..Overall, the deciding factor is this :

Better Camera or Better RAM??..well, i think i go for a better RAM!

Whatsay??

IMHO, 512MB RAM will do fine for you for the next 2-3 years. As comp@ddict rightly said, extra RAM is of no use if there is no proper optimization. Even the iPhone 4S has 512MB RAM :p . I think you are overestimating this aspect, it should not be considered even a major factor, let alone the most important factor as considered by you.

this ain't windows...its android , its not like more ram means its better or bla bla , totally depends upon your usage , FREE ram in android means your wasting it.IMO 512mb will be enough.

My nephew bought SGR on this saturday. One thing I must say is, video calling over 3G is only supported by Samsung.

Don't get confused with Video calling on Skype / Gtalk / Other app which works over Data / WiFi. I said native Video Calling over 3G. Means charges will be deducted from your main balance as a call, not the Data Pack / WiFi.

I guess Samsung have implemented something on their Touchwiz UI, and didn't make available the source code.

But still I don't understand why doesn't Android support Video Calling over 3G.

I kind of concur with the OPs choice. I am also leaning towards the SGR. no matter, what my fellow mates say.. there is no substitute for more RAM. and regarding optimization, it would be better if some one informed fellow tells about how far Samsung has achieved optimization with this fone.. rather than saying "more ram is useless"

HDMI? lets get practical...how often do u shoot a hd movie and that to, bother plugging tht chord to ur TV (mind u, u also need a hd tv to support the output) and watch it

to me.. the deal breaker seems to be ICS, and i am talking about official one. like the OP am not a tweaking guy!

Abhishek

krishnandu said:
My nephew bought SGR on this saturday. One thing I must say is, video calling over 3G is only supported by Samsung.

Don't get confused with Video calling on Skype / Gtalk / Other app which works over Data / WiFi. I said native Video Calling over 3G. Means charges will be deducted from your main balance as a call, not the Data Pack / WiFi.

I guess Samsung have implemented something on their Touchwiz UI, and didn't make available the source code.

But still I don't understand why doesn't Android support Video Calling over 3G.
Are you sure?

Sent from Galaxy S2

red dragon said:
Are you sure?

Sent from Galaxy S2

About what?? 3G Video Calling??

Yes, I've searched it a lot.

3G Video Calling over Network (which we call native video calling) is only supported in SGS2 and SGR, and may be on few other phones by Samsung.

Other phones which have front cam supports Video Calling over Data / Wifi using Skype and all, but not over network.

I don't know about much models, but I'm sure only Samsung supports this, AFAIK, they have modded something within the Touchwiz UI, for which they didn't made the source code available.

None of the other phones supports native video calling, you can try asking your friends or members on this forum who have Android phone with Front Cam, other than Samsung. But be sure to ask them to do a Video Call on 3G over Network not with any apps over data / wifi.

Back