Samsung Galaxy S Family Thread

Got one more captivate today but it is locked tried i=unlocking it but got a error message could not find the nv_data file :(. How to unlock it please help

Do i need to be rooted to do this ?

^^Yes you do. Read the XDA thread carefully.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Or there is a galaxy unlocker pro app in the market - cost you 5$. You can try that too.

^ Check whether phone drivers are installed properly. If so, try connecting to diff USB port.

Can you see /efs directory on your phone after connecting to PC.

If you are using the .bat script make sure you can do .\adb pull /efs/nv_data.bin from command window. If you see the .bat file in text you'll understand whats happening there better. Its just copying the file from your phone to local dir and using the sgux.exe to generate the code.

Also enable USB debugging to do adb

Is there any dummy guide to unlock these phones? I have one rooted Captivate & un-rooted Vibrant. Yes I did look at the xda thread.. it's all scattered.. I couldn't find the info I'm looking for..

Guys, I won something which I guess only I will have in India. This is Galaxy S Korean Model. Factory unlocked, like we get Samsung Galaxy S i9000 here.

No carrier logo. Instead of "Samsung" the brand is "Anycall" which is premium category of Samsung. Has front cam. Also has many extras.

I had a liking of brand "Anycall" for last couple of years.

Don't worry, I researched enough before bidding that this work in India.

^^ Basic thing needed to unlock is proper nv_data.bin file. Rooting is needed to copy that file. abd is android debugger. used to copy files to and from. you can use adb to reboot into download/recovery etc. Its like accessing a remote machine.

So, here is what I did to unlock my captivate.

Get the Generate Unlock for windows from xda and One click root app.

Install Kies or Samsung drivers based on PC (32 or 64 bit)

Connect via USB cable and wait till you see drivers installed successfully(For me it took arnd 5mins on office machine). If you see failed message try connecting to diff port.

Now root the phone (as the name says its just one click app. If it fails for the first time try again after disconnecting). Make sure USB debugging is enabled.

After successful root, open cmd prompt in PC.

cd to Generate Unlock directory where sgux.exe is placed

Execute "adb devices" in cmd (you should see your device listed else check USB debugging setting)

Now execute .bat file (It just copies your nv_data.bin to local dir and executes sgux.exe to generate unlock)

You should have the unlock code.

If you see cannot find nv_data.bin message, it means adb could not find that file because 1) drivers 2) did not root or 3) USB debugging not enabled

Also, some version of one click root app also has captivte unlock tab. you can try that. I did it after doing the unlock and it generated the same code!!

mgdelhi said:
Guys, I won something which I guess only I will have in India. This is Galaxy S Korean Model. Factory unlocked, like we get Samsung Galaxy S i9000 here.

Also has many extras.
Congrats for your purchase, though the accessories included except IOGEAR Mobile pocket power 2000mAh External battery, are not of much value. The seller is bundling just the OEM battery not original.

This phone comes with a TV chip which is a plus, but that also means that it is not one to one match of known Galaxy S variants, meaning support like availability of custom ROM's will be very limited.

I was confused yesterday how to unlock it but, I tell you its pretty simple to do it just root your phone and use the sgs unlock from the market to unlock it. In mu case i was getting the code as ffffff but sgs did the job

bigbyte said:
Congrats for your purchase, though the accessories included except IOGEAR Mobile pocket power 2000mAh External battery, are not of much value. The seller is bundling just the OEM battery not original.

This phone comes with a TV chip which is a plus, but that also means that it is not one to one match of known Galaxy S variants, meaning support like availability of custom ROM's will be very limited.
Thanks buddy. XDA has unbricking thread, unrooting thread and few froyo ROMs and I will be happy with it. Yeah it has DMB TV chipset but I guess that's useless for India. Or not?

I thought OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) battery is original battery that comes with the phone. Let it come then only it will be clear.

It is going to be a stylish 2nd phone because my primary phone remains a blackberry.

^^ I just tried android market, it asked me to add a google account.. :?

Maybe I'll have another look at xda threads.. tonight.. </sigh>

^^ Try both applications. But first you need to root (running custom ROMs usually means the phone is rooted). If you get FFFFF as code. Then need to try the unlock pro apk from the market by paying 5$. In that case if you face any difficulty you can email the author and send your nv_data.bin , he will either get the unlock code from there or send you the modified nv_data.bin which you need to replace in the phone.

If you going to do yourself -- first backup the folder containing nv_data.bin from your phone to PC or a memory card then proceed. And don't forget to read, read and read whenever you are in doubt.

@trigger You are already rooted just download sgs unlock by helroz from android market and unlock the phone using this app. No need to buy the .apk tool right now first try this it will surely work. Atleast it worked for me.

Sorry for the nooby Q: how do I access market, as phone is network locked?
I can't access market.. though gives me connect with wifi option..

Back