FS: Mobile !SCAMMER!

Count me in as well!
This wonderful community has given me a lot, and I'm very much happy to give back to the community.

@Abhijat I feel bad you had to go through this. :(
Thank you for the love guys but as I said this was a lesson for me + this loss does not affect me that much, atleast someone else that could not have afforded to bear it did not get scammed so I'm happy about that. I really cannot accept the money please understand :)
Thanks a lot to everyone though

it personally took me months to be "eligible" to make sale threads. I had to contribute across many threads and places in the forum to get going.

many others, like me, have patiently waited to be able to sell items, and buy without issues.

currently, there are a few members I'm comfortable shipping devices to and get payments in a flexible manner, and those people do the same as well.

in this case, it's the price we pay to be accomodating and very inclusive of new people in a naive manner.
Couldn't agree more. It took me a while to gain access to classfields, as well. However, it was worth the effort, because I met some really nice people along the way, had a lot of laughs across different forums, received/given a lot of help.

TBH, I browse the forums more now than classfields, unless I want to buy something specific. Contribute to the forums, and be a great member :smug:

Pretty unfortunate really...
If the community and the mods are actually serious about keeping the forum clean and avoid such incidences thr all NEW members ( till may be a few deals) can sell with the mods being the intermediary...
This could be a bit tricky but in past I have been member of a couple of forums where for a small fee the amount is paid to the forum admin by the buyer and when he confirms all is well then only the funds are released to the seller.

Some sellers were so adjusting that even after the confirmation thru used to claim only half and the rest only when the testing warranty was over..

Could be a bit of work for all, but the parties will get what they want.
Buyer : safety from scams
Seller : surity of payment and no hassel.
Admin : commission (may be 3 to 5 percent)

Senior and proven members should have an option to be a part of the is arrangement as per their wish.

May be a lot of you won't like this idea but to me it seems a way forward to protect...
My 2 cents

Pretty unfortunate really...
If the community and the mods are actually serious about keeping the forum clean and avoid such incidences thr all NEW members ( till may be a few deals) can sell with the mods being the intermediary...
This could be a bit tricky but in past I have been member of a couple of forums where for a small fee the amount is paid to the forum admin by the buyer and when he confirms all is well then only the funds are released to the seller.

Some sellers were so adjusting that even after the confirmation thru used to claim only half and the rest only when the testing warranty was over..

Could be a bit of work for all, but the parties will get what they want.
Buyer : safety from scams
Seller : surity of payment and no hassel.
Admin : commission (may be 3 to 5 percent)

Senior and proven members should have an option to be a part of the is arrangement as per their wish.

May be a lot of you won't like this idea but to me it seems a way forward to protect...
My 2 cents

in the same city and that's a possibility, but new seller's pov it's gonna be a no go.

also, mods or other members - they are all busy in their own lives, schedules and commitments.. to delay a deal where the buyer gets impatient and the seller throws a fit then would be.. inappropriate..

this sort of arrangement is often difficult.

I have locally picked stuffs from olx that other people have searched for, and if it's nearby or if the seller comes close to me, I have no qualms. but if I need to be traveling anything above 10 mins, that's a hassle I would avoid.

in the same city and that's a possibility, but new seller's pov it's gonna be a no go.

also, mods or other members - they are all busy in their own lives, schedules and commitments.. to delay a deal where the buyer gets impatient and the seller throws a fit then would be.. inappropriate..

this sort of arrangement is often difficult.

I have locally picked stuffs from olx that other people have searched for, and if it's nearby or if the seller comes close to me, I have no qualms. but if I need to be traveling anything above 10 mins, that's a hassle I would avoid.
That's a legit thing, but a bit of hassel for all would be a lot of relief both in terms of mind as well as money..

On my part I am a trusting sort, and since 2020 I have been buying every few months via olx from cities other than mine, items worth 1k 2k 3k 4k even 5k by making full advance payments and by God's grace no one as yet has tried to scam me... But you never know... Strangely 75% of them have been made from bangalore so I have a lot of respect for the city and its people based on that, now..

If the admin as intermediary isn't that acceptable then few weeks and few posts should be the rule to make first sale thread.. And the user id should carry a certain badge depicting that the guy is a newbie seller, rest should be upto the buyer to watch for the flags..

This is becoming a decent community now it would be so unfortunate if things like this get repeated..

mods being the intermediary...
This is nothing new and mods are well aware of this but as highlighted already, everyone has their own life and they probably don't want to get involved or otherwise this would already be a thing since long.
Additionally, there's no guarantee if any mod becomes corrupted in future or if their account is compromised.

i have done 3 deals here. but i never exchanged feedbacks. can someone tell me how its done, and is it possible to do it now.

@Abhijat feeling sorry for you man.. hope you get him for good this time.

Really sorry to see this happen in TE. I lost 5K to a sofa dealer in OLX. I have been very alert with all my online dealings since then. This lesson will make you more vigilant and alert in all your future dealings' bro. Cheer up!.

IIRC, @Aditya Singh was another alter ego of this person. The posting styles, the tendency to make quick bucks out of questionably procured goods, and the finally the name - the similarities are too big to ignore.
Going through the linked threads, it seems that the mods repeatedly gave the benefit of doubt to the seller. It is appalling to see how his previous alias wasn't banned after the rude replies and lies in Acer Swift thread. Surprised by this as the mods always try to come off as trying to protect interest of the buyer; but ig ₹150/mo can sway that

I only found TE because I was told it's a good place for classifieds, but after I sold my items, I stuck around for the forums. I guess what I am saying is, I appreciate being able to purchase a Patron membership and posting my items right away, or I probably would not have stuck around.

That said, fraud sucks, and I hope the authorities are able to get to this person.

I mean this is just the outlier i suppose have seen many genuine posts and helpful comments but this shouldn't bring a black mark on all new joinees. TE is still expanding from an earlier niche spot and will bring in new members.

Also @Abhijat hope you get your money back. Do try a police complaint in cyber cell.

150 rs for patron is truly silly, even movie tickets are expensive nowadays, I understand the reason it is in place, but it should not create mistrust to original patrons, if I come across any now I would think twice. It should be simple to differentiate the patrons, tag like 'donor' for recruits, or better names that differentiate between recruit to patron to some one long-term to patron, one way by adding Patron tag tagged along with original tag (recruit, adapt, etc) above or below, it adds even more credibility to someone who is long term

Mods can mandate a id proof which should match payment name like ivg forums.

I for one don’t mind sharing with legitimate buyers specially if I am selling electronics which can be used for illegal purposes later on.

What the hell happened here so quick?
Sorry for you @Abhijat . Hope you get the money back.

Even I as a seller had a hiccup last year with @ranakirti which was on my end as a seller when the package was lost and it took a bit of time for me to refund him but it ended fine for both of us. I'm glad @ranakirti had trust in me as did the other forum members considering I hadn't had much feedback / interaction back then.

I agree with @thegoodsamaritan we need to be a bit stringent as a community regarding sellers, IDs are a good concept might be better than being left empty handed with just a phone number/UPI ID.

Last edited:
olx has a feature - if you login with multiple id's on a single device, they sort of block all those id's! it's frustrating, but works to an extent - though not very effective as olx is plagued with scams and multiple fraudulent accounts and so on. however, a similar feature where multiple login id's from the same device should raise suspicion here and could be further investigated is a feature worth working on.

Carousel in Singapore is something I prefer more than USA'S Craigslist as Carousel has a better interface and seems friendlier.

where I'm getting with these is that - this forum here is a go to place for hundreds of members who frequent this space on a daily basis. whether that be the marketplace, or discussion areas, seeking help or providing help, whatsoever.

there are genuine new members, and there are cheats among old members, too. we can not have a prejudiced notion regarding any person(s).

marketplace will always have a caveat of watching your own back - you are always prone to have a deal done wrong some way or the other, and should always look to safeguard your money or device when buying or selling.

nothing beats f2f deals, obviously. but the charm of waiting for a device you want and opening that parcel is a joy that we live for! it's part of what we enjoy.

we have all had deals that we came feeling hard done by, only to later tread caution from that experience - let this fiasco that @Abhijat had to undergo be an eye-opener again for everyone. wait another day, let the deal go to someone else, whatever. but satisfy all your Q's as a buyer. don't jump on deals and always remember, if it seems to good to be true, 99.9% times it indeed is.

I have bought some nice stuffs from Carousel when I used to visit Singapore frequently. But it was always face to face. Nice platform. But tech enclave is more organized and the rating / feedback system is very good to make a decision on the seller. I have done many deals here and have not faced any issues so far. It is always smooth. The language and the tone of the OP , I would have never made the purchase. It is a lesson well learnt.

I think we can take one leaf out of IVG where after a big scam last year, they implemented the process where it was mandatory to upload one govt id with upi id proof for any product listing above 5K. Those posts would be visible to admins only so data is safe. This would be a hassle for genuine sellers but will reduce the scams considerably.

Back