Seagate Dockstar Discussion and Tutorial Thread

Ya., I've already completed that part. The serial cable is connected to the Dockstar and I can access it through Putty. But I need help with the actual flashing part - can you suggest steps for that?

@ Sei

What steps did you follow to unbrick yours?

@ all others

somebody pls post the output of "fw_printenv" of the dockstar with new uboot so that I can check my boot environment.

Hi,

This may not be the best thread for it, but i need one of these babies. Can someone tell me the cheapest way to get hold of one. The listing on Ebay india isn't there anymore and the one on global easy buy is 3k INR.

Thanks

Received my dockstar today, the power adapter is 100-240v but it has american style plug
291z89c.jpg

the plug is detachable but did not get the other plug to attach to it, should i get this convertor for it DealExtreme: $0.87 Flat to Round Power Plug Convertor

shady8701 said:
Hi,

This may not be the best thread for it, but i need one of these babies. Can someone tell me the cheapest way to get hold of one. The listing on Ebay india isn't there anymore and the one on global easy buy is 3k INR.

Thanks
Dockstar available for 23$ for one day only 1 Sale A Day, Daily Deal you should get it for around 1700, contact iccworld before it expires.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

m-jeri said:
^^

hw about gettin up and going to ur local electrical store?.
I wont get it from dealextreme, i will get it either from ebay.in or a local store, i just wanted to know if that convertor will work or not.

yeas it willl... get from local store.. why wait more to get this thing started..

u went ICC or GEB?.. mine yet to arrive

Wow this thing sure takes a lot of pain to get it working, going by the linux scripts and mods with the serial cable. :p

techie_007, Sei and varkery - are your respective dockstars plug and play now? As in, does it require tinkering every now and then?

Guys, does ICC World deliver through Fedex in India? I ordered my Dockstar on Sep 15th, and got a mail from Fedex that the delivery address is invalid. What made me suspicious is that there is an exe attachment that claims to be the postal label.

Desecrator said:
Wow this thing sure takes a lot of pain to get it working, going by the linux scripts and mods with the serial cable. :p

techie_007, Sei and varkery - are your respective dockstars plug and play now? As in, does it require tinkering every now and then?
I havent needed the serial cable, yet ;) Have a backup that I just restore if anything seems to hang.

Other than the occasional issue once in 1-2 weeks after power-cut and restore, no other issues. Thats usually fixed by running an FSCK over the HDD, or a restore as a last resort :)

Checksum said:
Guys, does ICC World deliver through Fedex in India? I ordered my Dockstar on Sep 15th, and got a mail from Fedex that the delivery address is invalid. What made me suspicious is that there is an exe attachment that claims to be the postal label.
I don't know if they deliver through fedex, i was not at home when they delivered the package, call their mumbai head office ICC World and ask about your package.

@Arjun, thanks for that. Didn't have to do that as barely 10 mins after I posted that, the ICC guy turned up with my dockstar :) Setting it up now...

^^ check the filesystem and fix any errors. Otherwise restore from a backup - if you have any. Also search the Jeff's forum for similar problems.

Support provided by Jeff in my case is amazing - he patiently provided step by step instruction to a linux newbie like me to revive my Dockstar.

Btw, here is another chance to get dockstar at cheaper price

1 Sale A Day, Daily Deal

archat68 said:
^^ check the filesystem and fix any errors. Otherwise restore from a backup - if you have any. Also search the Jeff's forum for similar problems.

Support provided by Jeff in my case is amazing - he patiently provided step by step instruction to a linux newbie like me to revive my Dockstar.

fscked the Pendrive. I would search his forum, in hope to find something.

[EDIT]

Btw, I did an full system upgrade & initramfs-tools was updated. how do I recover it? or dockstar is officially bricked

Arjun said:
Did you get same power adapter as mine with the US plug? pic posted here http://www.techenclave.com/networki...nd-tutorial-thread-173221-14.html#post1612888
Yup, that's the one I got. Used a flat to round pin converter.

So I've been reading through the thread and figured I can install debian and get a torrent/http downloader working. Question is, does it absolutely need a USB pen drive, or can I install it *directly* on an external HDD? Also, I read about setting a initial delay of 10-15 seconds on the bootloader. Any steps on how that can be done?

Edit: Also, does one *have* to first install the modified uBoot before installing Debian on a pen drive? I'm asking this cause this link doesn't specify something like that.

Checksum said:
Yup, that's the one I got. Used a flat to round pin converter.

So I've been reading through the thread and figured I can install debian and get a torrent/http downloader working. Question is, does it absolutely need a USB pen drive, or can I install it *directly* on an external HDD? Also, I read about setting a initial delay of 10-15 seconds on the bootloader. Any steps on how that can be done?

Edit: Also, does one *have* to first install the modified uBoot before installing Debian on a pen drive? I'm asking this cause this link doesn't specify something like that.
I am using an external HDD. Works without issues.

I didnt want to plug in to devices, 1 for OS and 1 for storage.

Back