Seagate Dockstar Discussion and Tutorial Thread

Checksum said:
So I've been reading through the thread and figured I can install debian and get a torrent/http downloader working. Question is, does it absolutely need a USB pen drive, or can I install it *directly* on an external HDD? Also, I read about setting a initial delay of 10-15 seconds on the bootloader. Any steps on how that can be done?

Edit: Also, does one *have* to first install the modified uBoot before installing Debian on a pen drive? I'm asking this cause this link doesn't specify something like that.
I Initially used a pendrive but now using a 2.5" External Hard Disk for both OS and Data. First partition is ext3 for the OS, 2nd Swap, and 3rd NTFS.

Just use the debian installer, it will automatically install the necessary uboot etc.

@Varkey

Have you found any fix for the filesystem corruption issue after powerfail? This is a recurring problem for me and sometime it does not get fixed by "fsck" - only way is to restore from a backup.

got mine.. :D

Just now...

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

hEY

I cant activate my device on net..

my HDD's are not showing up.. can anyone please guide what all to do to get transmission up and running?

the LED is light orange. not green.. :S..

added service.pogoplug.com for UDP port also..

any ideas?

@m-jeri: Did you go through the thread properly? I dont think u can use the pogoplug service n stuff if u want to use the plug for other purposes.

I am not getting anything...

First step in post 1 was to get the IP and connect via SSH

I use putty for that.. but not connecting.. :S

GOT IT GOT IT

It connected.. :D

"

-bash-3.2# fdisk /dev/sda

-bash: fdisk: command not found

"

why am i getting this??

"-bash-3.2# cd /tmp
-bash-3.2# wget http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/dockstar.debian-squeeze.sh
wget: bad address 'jeff.doozan.com'
"

and i cant fdisk either..

^^ Partition your disks using LiveCD.

Also, I think if you get the Pogoplug service activated - you will lose access to SSH shell as the password for root login will be changed. So, you will lose your chance to install Debian on the system also.

archat68 said:
^^ Partition your disks using LiveCD.

Also, I think if you get the Pogoplug service activated - you will lose access to SSH shell as the password for root login will be changed. So, you will lose your chance to install Debian on the system also.

I think you can enable ssh again in my.pogoplug.com if it gets disabled by firmware update.

@m-jeri:

1. as someone else said, use a live CD or a Linux system to partition your disks.

2. Boot the system with ethernet cable plugged in. The wget command should work then :)

ookay..

will use a live CD to do that. u guys mean to connect the HDD to a system with linux then use it with the dock r8?

@techie..

the Ethernet is plugged in.. ooh i think i got the pblm..

I use my mobile in PC to connect to net. so... is there a issue there.

and yea DHCP is ok.. coz i can connect to the dock using SSH.

@m-jeri internet connectivity by usb modems and adsl router/modem in bridge mode will not work

do not activate the pogoplug service if you want to install jeff debian

once the firmware updates it you even lose the ability to enable ssh in pogoplug

stopped my firmware update in between by pulling the power cord

had to reset mine 2-3 times to again get the ssh login back

if you have orange blinking light that is perfectly fine

once the firmware updates it you even lose the ability to enable ssh in pogoplug

Err, I didn't know that when I updated the firmware and activated pogoplug. Anyway, in Settings page in web interface, there is an option to enable ssh. I did that and I can ssh into it with pogoplug activated.

Checksum said:
Err, I didn't know that when I updated the firmware and activated pogoplug. Anyway, in Settings page in web interface, there is an option to enable ssh. I did that and I can ssh into it with pogoplug activated.
well i had pulled the plug in between the firmware update so lost the ssh capability also

and couldnt find option to enable ssh in pogoplug interface

had to reset 3 -4 times than it came back and allowed me ssh

so thought the same

if the option to enable ssh exist after the update than its fine

Here is problem.

I dont have access to linux and my Notebook dsnt have a CD Drive. Now in order to proceed with installation of Debian on my dockstar i need to format a HDD in ext3 partition etc. So how do i go about doing that?

Using Partition Magic to Create ext3 partitions. So in all i would have Three Partitions

1) Linux - ext3

2) Linux Swap - ext 3

3) Download/Content Partition - NTFS

^^ Swap space should not be formatted as ext3.

BTW is the OpenWRT less prone to filesystem corruption than the Debian installation? I'm fed with the problem of not booting into Debian sometimes.

Back