Seagate Dockstar Discussion and Tutorial Thread

Checksum said:
Can someone who is using an external usb hdd post the output of fw_printenv?

ethact=egiga0
bootdelay=3
baudrate=115200
arcNumber=2097
mainlineLinux=yes
console=ttyS0,115200
led_init=green blinking
led_exit=green off
led_error=orange blinking
mtdparts=mtdparts=orion_nand:1M(u-boot),4M(uImage),32M(rootfs),-(data)
mtdids=nand0=orion_nand
partition=nand0,2
stdin=serial
stdout=serial
stderr=serial
rescue_installed=0
rescue_set_bootargs=setenv bootargs console=$console ubi.mtd=2 root=ubi0:rootfs ro rootfstype=ubifs $mtdparts $rescue_custom_params
rescue_bootcmd=if test $rescue_installed -eq 1; then run rescue_set_bootargs; nand read.e 0x800000 0x100000 0x400000; bootm 0x800000; else run pogo_bootcmd; fi
pogo_bootcmd=if fsload uboot-original-mtd0.kwb; then go 0x800200; fi
force_rescue=0
force_rescue_bootcmd=if test $force_rescue -eq 1 || ext2load usb 0:1 0x1700000 /rescueme 1 || fatload usb 0:1 0x1700000 /rescueme.txt 1; then run rescue_bootcmd; fi
ubifs_mtd=3
ubifs_set_bootargs=setenv bootargs console=$console ubi.mtd=$ubifs_mtd root=ubi0:rootfs rootfstype=ubifs $mtdparts $ubifs_custom_params
ubifs_bootcmd=run ubifs_set_bootargs; if ubi part data && ubifsmount rootfs && ubifsload 0x800000 /boot/uImage && ubifsload 0x1100000 /boot/uInitrd; then bootm 0x800000 0x1100000; fi
usb_scan=usb_scan_done=0;for scan in $usb_scan_list; do run usb_scan_$scan; if test $usb_scan_done -eq 0 && ext2load usb $usb 0x800000 /boot/uImage 1; then usb_scan_done=1; echo "Found bootable drive on usb $usb"; setenv usb_device $usb; setenv usb_root /dev/$dev; fi; done
usb_scan_list=1 2 3 4
usb_scan_1=usb=0:1 dev=sda1
usb_scan_2=usb=1:1 dev=sdb1
usb_scan_3=usb=2:1 dev=sdc1
usb_scan_4=usb=3:1 dev=sdd1
usb_init=run usb_scan
usb_device=0:1
usb_root=/dev/sda1
usb_rootfstype=ext2
usb_rootdelay=10
usb_set_bootargs=setenv bootargs console=$console root=$usb_root rootdelay=$usb_rootdelay rootfstype=$usb_rootfstype $mtdparts $usb_custom_params
usb_bootcmd=run usb_init; run usb_set_bootargs; run usb_boot
usb_boot=mw 0x800000 0 1; ext2load usb $usb_device 0x800000 /boot/uImage; if ext2load usb $usb_device 0x1100000 /boot/uInitrd; then bootm 0x800000 0x1100000; else bootm 0x800000; fi
bootcmd=usb start; run force_rescue_bootcmd; run ubifs_bootcmd; run usb_bootcmd; usb stop; run rescue_bootcmd; run pogo_bootcmd; reset
ethaddr=00:10:75:1A:70:8E

Hope it helps.

cant figure out samba shares and all...

varkey helped a lot.. but its me who got to do stuff.. and i am pretty much attached to GUI's.. :S..so it was a no go.. :S..

will try to do it once again this weekend after this i am selling this out..

m-jeri said:
cant figure out samba shares and all...

varkey helped a lot.. but its me who got to do stuff.. and i am pretty much attached to GUI's.. :S..so it was a no go.. :S..

will try to do it once again this weekend after this i am selling this out..
How are you trying this? From command line or using webmin?

You can do all this stuff thorough webmin. Much easier, AND you have a browser GUI to work with :)

PS: Oh and by the way, for everyone, avoid the webmin update mechanism to update the dockstar, or even the Debian update mechanism I mean. I tried it twice, and the specific 'kernel update' available there messes up the install and it stops booting after that.

I tried both..

and was on mid way..

What i am trying to do is this.

I have a 1 GB NTFS partition. Trying to mount it into a directory and share it. I mount it via webmin. it shows up in the share list always also.

But when shared it says windows cannot access the share.

What i am going to do this week as last resort is.

install ntfs 3g, mount via command and add it to fstab so that it mounts always in boot.

then give that dir name (/data) to the share definition in smb.conf

and add a new user and give smbpawdd for it.

All via command.. webmin.. no idea.

i havent done the 3rd step yet. and i assume the first step is correct via webmin. :S

Can anyone please put up a tut or steps regarding atleast the samba... no tut's in this thread yet.. :(..even though linux gurus are a lot. :S

Hey guys, for some reason I can't boot into debian. pogoplug boots fine. already fscked pendrive on my pc, its clean. What should I do next?

@m-jeri

you need to edit the samba.conf file. There are many guide on the net for that. I'm a linux noob but i followed the guides and managed to get samba running.

@gaurish

Get a serial cable. You'll need it sooner or later. I've permanently attached a serial cable to my Dockstar. You can get a CA-42 or DKU-5 cable from your local mobile vendor for around 100 bucks.

folks...a query...

my issue is that i cant access the NTFS partition from my PC.. upto transmission is ok...

well i can use the ext3 file system itself to download all the data and use a ext-to-windows app to read the data in windows also r8?.

hmm.. although it involves removing and connecting. :)...

so there is hope.. :)

I have only one partition on my HDD. I keep my downloads under the /downloads directory under the root filesystem. This directory is shared through samba. No need to remove the drive.

archat68 said:
@gaurish

Get a serial cable. You'll need it sooner or later. I've permanently attached a serial cable to my Dockstar. You can get a CA-42 or DKU-5 cable from your local mobile vendor for around 100 bucks.

I do have CA-42 lying dust from past few years, finally found a use for it. I guess I have to follow this guide:

Seagate Dockstar: Add an accessible serial port « Your Warranty Is Void.com

Time to brush up my soldering skills, which pretty much suck:p

Thanks!

@archat

no swap?...

Maybe that is the best way to go about..

that works for me already.... :S...

so i have a 2GB drive.. shall i just full format it using ext3.. and install and and share the stuff after creating a directory?...

i think that be ok.. :S...

@m-jeri

Sorry! Swap partition is there.

@Gaurish

No need to follow the complete tutorial. Just try to get a connector which can fit the Dockstar Serial terminal. I found one such 4 pin connector in my collection - don't know where it came from. Wire wrapping around the connector is very troublesome. If you don't have a matching connector - you can solder the wire to the Dockstar terminals directly. I have a short length of wire hanging from my Dockstar. I'll post a photo when I'm home.

You need to cut open the CA-42 USB part to ascertain which wires are connected to TX, RX and GND terminal. You may have to reverse the TX RX connection if you don't get any output after connecting the cable.

archat68 said:
@Gaurish

No need to follow the complete tutorial. Just try to get a connector which can fit the Dockstar Serial terminal. I found one such 4 pin connector in my collection - don't know where it came from. Wire wrapping around the connector is very troublesome. If you don't have a matching connector - you can solder the wire to the Dockstar terminals directly. I have a short length of wire hanging from my Dockstar. I'll post a photo when I'm home.

You need to cut open the CA-42 USB part to ascertain which wires are connected to TX, RX and GND terminal. You may have to reverse the TX RX connection if you don't get any output after connecting the cable.
from that guide it says, I would need

- CA-42 cable

- a 4-pin header with long pins

- a matched connector for the 4 pin header.

- Heat shrink tubing of various sizes

- Soldering Iron

- Lighter

- small diameter drillbits

- Spudger

I only have CA-42 cable. where can I find rest of the stuff and how much is the price?

^^^

err.. for items 2 and 3.. isnt soldering a tad better.. u know just melt a small glob and place it on the desired pins. and solder the wires to it.

just going from the pic mate.. if wrong please ignore.

and drillbits??.. why?.. for opening it think only a flat head screw driver is necessary.. like the x360..:S.

Gaurish said:
from that guide it says, I would need

- CA-42 cable

- a 4-pin header with long pins

- a matched connector for the 4 pin header.

- Heat shrink tubing of various sizes

- Soldering Iron

- Lighter

- small diameter drillbits

- Spudger

I only have CA-42 cable. where can I find rest of the stuff and how much is the price?
Just try to find a connector which you can connect to the Dockstar serial port header. Try those CD Audio-in cables if you have any. I'll post a picture of my setup and the connector when I'm at home. Wait till then.

m-jeri said:
^^^

err.. for items 2 and 3.. isnt soldering a tad better.. u know just melt a small glob and place it on the desired pins. and solder the wires to it.

just going from the pic mate.. if wrong please ignore.

Yeah, that can be done, so it means I don't need the header pins.

and drillbits??.. why?.. for opening it think only a flat head screw driver is necessary.. like the x360..:S.
Can't get the dockstar to open. How to open the damn case?

from what i saw..

http://www.yourwarrantyisvoid.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/DS_plan.jpg

the whole top portion is locked to the base.. so undernearth..on the edges u must see a thin line... just push a compass/flathead through.

the plastic is sturdy.. but i will leave marks.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

and i dont think u need all those stuff..

just cable, solder iron, the metal, some basic tools to open it. The other guy was going another direction. dont think u need that.

Back