Storage Solutions Seagate or Western Digital? | Need a 4TB or 5TB portable HDD

So there's no technical reason. And yet some surveys claim this. Please share those surveys with us so we can be enlightened too!

Also, someone (probably from this thread), posted the same question on reddit yesterday.

I could've shared but It was an old story. Can't search for that specific info now, but yes there was more info about it which I don't remember now.
May be we can google for more , here is some similar threads may be somewhat useful https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-hard-drive-stats-q1-2019/

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2015/01/why-you-should-buy-4-tb-hard-drives-and-skip-the-3-tb-ones/

Once again, stop posting backblaze stats in a thread about a portable 2.5" hard drive.

It's clear you don't know what you're talking about.

1. Thread title clearly says portable HDD.
2. People are saying x tb is slower/less reliable than y tb
3. Providing links to backblaze data

Where did I even mention that? Kindly post your supposed-to-be-sarcasm after you have read the post properly.
For all the Seagate vs WD vs HGST vs Toshiba wars - https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-hard-drive-stats-q2-2020/

..and the 5TB drives need not be unreliable -
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-q2-2019/ (under Good bye 5TB drive section)

Go read your own post. The thread is about deciding between 4/5tb portable drives. You're providing data which is NOT about portable hard drives to validate some BS theories.

See the pattern? Figure it out. Maybe leave your ego aside while doing it.

People who don't know shit should either ask a question or say 'maybe it's like this?'. Not preach utter BS. And not just you the other guy too.

Ego and emotion has nothing to do with facts.

The amount of half-knowledge and half-truths in this thread is hilarious...
Well, if you feel that way please do share your insights.

So I was going I'm favor of the WD 5TB drive but someone on reddit said that I should stay away from the WD one and go instead for the Seagate equivalent because in the WD one the USB controller is soldered to the drive and this means that if the controller fails there would be no way to retrieve the data from the drive. But Seagate on the other hand is a SATA drive with an adapter an controller fails you can just use a dock to get data off it.

This is a concern. Although I don't know the failure rate of controllers. Does anyone know more? Should I treat this as a deal breaker for the WD drive?

See the pattern? Figure it out. Maybe leave your ego aside while doing it.

People who don't know shit should either ask a question or say 'maybe it's like this?'. Not preach utter BS. And not just you the other guy too.

Ego and emotion has nothing to do with facts.
He posted the link to blackblaze comparing drives of these brands and it shone some light on the reliability on drives manufactured by these brands. True they're not 2.5" portable ones. But it helps to know that this kind of comparison exists. I'm pretty sure brand reliability is not completely irrelevant provided consumers understand that the comparison were for these specific models.

I don't see the need to be so passive aggressive about sharing that link. You could just point out that these studies were for drives not under consideration here and leave it at that. No need to attack people please.

Also if you happen to have insights to share, that would be more worthwhile to discuss rather than argue about each other.

Swords down please? Everyone?

don't see the need to be so passive aggressive about sharing that link. You could just point out that these studies were for drives not under consideration here and leave it at that. No need to attack people please.
Go back and read my first comment. I said backblaze doesn't use portable HDDs. Which is the very topic in question here. There was no aggression or personal attack there. He's the one who decided to get personal, probably because his fragile ego couldn't handle being called out on an absolutely irrelevant link which has nothing to do with the actual topic on hand. A 5tb 3.5" != 2.5".

Anyways, you guys carry on with the wild theories. I'm done.

I agree, a 3.5" can't be compared with 2.5" HDD but those studies shows blackblaze comparing drives of different BRANDS.
So in general it's about brand reliability which I considered relevant in some manner hence I posted that link but someone considered it absolutely irrelevant and started judging me.
It may be a mistake of mine posting a bit offtopic, just now I realised I need to provide proof for something I say and pin point accuracy is required on every topic.

many comments in this thread shows people having bad experience with Seagate so I think WD is the way to go.

probably because his fragile ego
No offence buddy, it seems like you're the one who seems unreasonably offended and pissed off (at least that's the impression that one gets from the tone of your comments here) at something that doesn't deserve such a wild reaction.
an absolutely irrelevant link which has nothing to do with the actual topic on hand. A 5tb 3.5" != 2.5".
Also, as Nitendra pointed out, the link offers some insights about brand reliability, which is also a topic of discussion here and hence very relevant. If Seagate and WD both make 3.5" HDDs and Seagate's drives have a higher failure rate, then it serves as a point to consider EVEN when we're considering buying a 2.5" drive from either of those brands. Is it really so wild to think that that's relevant?
Anyways, you guys carry on with the wild theories. I'm done.
Sure, the person who posted the link could have pointed out that the comparison was for 3.5" drives so that anyone who stumbles upon it would be aware. But should you be so offended that someone shared it here? I don't see it as a reasonable reaction. Seems like a disproportionate response to something that could have been more effectively responded to with a simple statement pointing out the issue.

All this said, I do appreciate your contributions. Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm not pissed off or offended because someone posted a backblaze link or posted something weird about odd/even sizes. But comments like these:

Where did I even mention that? Kindly post your supposed-to-be-sarcasm after you have read the post properly.

The amount of people suffering from Superiority complex on TE is huge!

No one here is getting paid for their comments or advice. And i certainly am not going to accept responses like these for pointing out a mistake.

And this not about posting backblaze or any other links. It's about posting those links to justify absolutely bollocks theories.

These links were posted just to show these kind of surveys exists and I read something similar somewhere regarding even and odds, not to prove anything.
I already mentioned in my 1st post it's nothing technical but mate you took it otherway.

Doesn't the stats provided by Backblaze make the topic of the thread irrelevant. Their failure rates are between 1-2% for nearly all manufacturers apart from Toshiba. Seagate and WD are the main manufacturers and the failure rate is similar for them and very low. Nothing can guarantee that your data is safe unless you make 2 copies of it and that's what I plan to do this time, learning from my mistake. Any drive can conk off at any moment, like my brand new WD Mybook did within 2 weeks, whereas my Seagate is now a decade old and still running fine. However, it can conk off at any moment as well so one has to make and keep 2 copies of their important data no matter what.

Also, one can look for extra features when buying. For example Seagate seems to have bundled Data Recovery service for the warranty period with their 4TB Expansion external HDD.

Back