Should I buy a used Nintendo Wii in late 2021?

Is it worth picking up a 15 year old Wii console for 2K INR to explore homebrew and modding scene?

• Yes - The price is right and the modding scene is good

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • No - Don't waste your time and money

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Maybe - Spam button

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

imran_chennai

Disciple
Hi folks,
I have never tried any Nintendo console ever, apart from playing Mario, Contra in bootleg NES consoles. Have mostly stuck to PC gaming and X360 playing casual single-player games all my life.
I recently stumbled across a listing for Will+controller+games for 2K INR. I plan to use the console for tinkering and playing around with Wii motion games, homebrews, emulators, and sideloads.
If you have or had a Wii experience do let me know what to do via the poll or share it in the thread.

Appreciate it,
Stay Safe
imran_chennai

What are the good games that one can play on the Nintendo? I did try the windows emulator once but did not find good games for it.

I just remember MARIO 3D and ANIMAL CROSSING. Those two were a bit of fun. But there was a lot of stuttering with GTX 1060. So uninstalled the emulator.

What are the good games that one can play on the Nintendo? I did try the windows emulator once but did not find good games for it.

I just remember MARIO 3D and ANIMAL CROSSING. Those two were a bit of fun. But there was a lot of stuttering with GTX 1060. So uninstalled the emulator.
It is no fun playing games Wii games on emulator...
Anyways the best games are Zelda twilight , Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Murumasa, Wii Sports, Zelda Skyward Swords, Zelda to name a few.

But all these games are cute ones which I think kids will love. But nothing extraordinary. While PS exclusive are on a whole different level.

Sorry to sound like a fanboy, but I think PS exclusives are much better. Even the PS3 exclusives are awesome. I recently completed the demon souls on it. An fell in love with its gritty gameplay. :)

But yes , would love to try some of these games on a proper console. Will keep a lookout for killer deal like OP posted. (Any console within 2k is a killer deal).

But all these games are cute ones which I think kids will love. But nothing extraordinary. While PS exclusive are on a whole different level.

Sorry to sound like a fanboy, but I think PS exclusives are much better. Even the PS3 exclusives are awesome. I recently completed the demon souls on it. An fell in love with its gritty gameplay. :)

But yes , would love to try some of these games on a proper console. Will keep a lookout for killer deal like OP posted. (Any console within 2k is a killer deal).
If that is the case then you may never enjoy Nintendo games( though with this gen Nintendo is trying other genres and allowing more violent type games to release on its console) still their games are games rather than reality . It kind of takes you away from reality and in a different world rather than putting you back into more real scenarios like other platforms.
I have played on PC, Playstation and Nintendo and Xbox.
I have found most fun games on Nintendo they are relaxing and joy to play and sometimes even take away any stress from the day.

Other systems have great games too and enjoy them too but they are trying to be more real and real with each generation and its just trying to take things too serious too.

To each his own .

Almost all games of XBOX are on PC. and they are great for FPS games. PS is more oriented towards action - adventure games.

But given the current scenario of skyrocketing prices of GPU , PC gaming is going to be damn expensive. And to add insult to the injury, my GTX 1060 died just a few days ago. So now I am out of option for a decent gaming card.

So that's why I was looking at NINTENDO for a change. Guy is entitled to have some form of entertainment.

I want to natively run games, hence looking at purchasing the console.
Plus Wii Sports looks like fun, want to try it out.

If that is the case then you may never enjoy Nintendo games( though with this gen Nintendo is trying other genres and allowing more violent type games to release on its console) still their games are games rather than reality . It kind of takes you away from reality and in a different world rather than putting you back into more real scenarios like other platforms.
I have played on PC, Playstation and Nintendo and Xbox.
I have found most fun games on Nintendo they are relaxing and joy to play and sometimes even take away any stress from the day.

Other systems have great games too and enjoy them too but they are trying to be more real and real with each generation and its just trying to take things too serious too.

To each his own .
Like @solo_wing said,
I want to lay back and have some casual fun. Have been having my fair share of fps and newer games on the PC.
I like the genre and variety of games that Nintendo brings to the table. Haven't had a chance to try it out until now.
Once you have bought it do share how did you manage to find one .
Purchased it from a seller from OLX. Currently being shipped, will let you know once I receive it.

I want to natively run games, hence looking at purchasing the console.
Plus Wii Sports looks like fun, want to try it out.

Like @solo_wing said,
I want to lay back and have some casual fun. Have been having my fair share of fps and newer games on the PC.
I like the genre and variety of games that Nintendo brings to the table. Haven't had a chance to try it out until now.

Purchased it from a seller from OLX. Currently being shipped, will let you know once I receive it.
That is quite a risk buying on OLX that too not in person.

Anyways hope you get it.

Agreed. Buying on OLX and that too with a deal outside your own city is quite risky. I have seen fraud happening with my friends. The best course of action deal locally when buying from OLX. and Quikr is absolutely trash. Never trust anything from there.

But anyways @imran_chennai - good luck with your purchase. I also being tempted to buy a Nintendo. But they are all above 10k mark here in Delhi. Will keep an eye for deals .

For 2k it looks like a steal. As someone who has a Wii and played a fair share of games apart from the bundled titles like Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort, you can try
Smash Bros Brawl, Dead Space Extraction (Gore and scary), Muscle March (wacky hole in wall type game), Naruto Games, No More Heroes

Update time -
TLDR - Received the Will last week, everything works as expected. No damage during transit. The seller was legit.
A couple of folks have highlighted the issue of buying from OLX. I completely agree with the risks, but not to worry about in this case.
I decided to go ahead with the deal as the seller was actually a "console reseller" and provided ample videos of the product working, packed it in the original box, shared the video before courier hand-off, and shared the tracking details too. A very pleasant experience I must say.

Coming to the initial usage review - Wii sports was included on request, all the accessories were accounted for and in good shape (including the manual). The console booted right away and I enjoyed a bit of tennis and boxing with my family. The tracking accuracy and usability is pretty good given the tech and the age of the console. No wonder it outsold the PS3 and X360. Have planned to "soft-mod" it during the weekend as physical game discs are hard to come by. Will also share photos of the console and accessories during the weekend.

Update time -
TLDR - Received the Will last week, everything works as expected. No damage during transit. The seller was legit.
A couple of folks have highlighted the issue of buying from OLX. I completely agree with the risks, but not to worry about in this case.
I decided to go ahead with the deal as the seller was actually a "console reseller" and provided ample videos of the product working, packed it in the original box, shared the video before courier hand-off, and shared the tracking details too. A very pleasant experience I must say.

Coming to the initial usage review - Wii sports was included on request, all the accessories were accounted for and in good shape (including the manual). The console booted right away and I enjoyed a bit of tennis and boxing with my family. The tracking accuracy and usability is pretty good given the tech and the age of the console. No wonder it outsold the PS3 and X360. Have planned to "soft-mod" it during the weekend as physical game discs are hard to come by. Will also share photos of the console and accessories during the weekend.
Congratulation on the new console. Will be waiting for your photos. Also do a video, if possible. :)

Update time -

Bro.. can u share the name of the Olx reseller if possible? I am also looking to buy a used Nintendo Wii for my 7 year old and cant afford shelling out more than 3k.

Back