CPU/Mobo Should i go for Quad or Duo??

shanil

Disciple
My budget is around 10k..

i am into gaming so should i buy a quad or a duo??

will a quad really help in gaming?

my specs--

Motherboard- Gigbabye EP45c-DS3R

Processor- Core 2 Duo E4600 @2.40 GHZ

Graphics Card- Gigabyte 8800 GT

RAM- Kingston 2X2GB

PSU/SMPS- Coolermaster Extreme 600

Cabinet- Circle

Hard Disk Drives-500 GB Western Digital SATA

CD/DVD/BLU RAY- LG CD/DVD RAM

Monitor- Samsung Synmaster 2233w

Connected by DVI/VGA/HDMI- DVI

You should see a nice boost in gaming with upgrade to 260/4870.

Superfast multicore CPU will not increase gaming performance if combined with obsolete 8800GT etc, although a fast processor is also critical, but if you're worried about which one you should get first and gaming will be your decider, then buy 260/4870 minimum then processor upgrade.

Balance your rig, upgrade PSU too.

yeah PSU is crap..it was an emergency buy..right now i wana upgrade the cpu because with new i7 in stores there is a chance quad n due might not b available..

Wait for Nvidia GT300.

8800gt will be able to hold off till then .

Don't hurry , try to go for DX11 rather DX10 cards now especially since you own a 8800gt.

Save the money , wait till i3 , i5 comes in January 3 triggering the bomb of mainstreaming DDR3 Rams

Just hold off till GT300 arrives. I know what everyone will say wait now and you'll keep waiting forever , but beleive me you will reap the benefit if you wait till January 26 / February 26 / April 26 ( Launch dates of FERMI GT 300 )

Anubis said:
Wait for Nvidia GT300.

8800gt will be able to hold off till then .

Don't hurry , try to go for DX11 rather DX10 cards now especially since you own a 8800gt.

Save the money , wait till i3 , i5 comes in January 3 triggering the bomb of mainstreaming DDR3 Rams

Just hold off till GT300 arrives. I know what everyone will say wait now and you'll keep waiting forever , but beleive me you will reap the benefit if you wait till January 26 / February 26 / April 26 ( Launch dates of FERMI GT 300 )
Wait and u will get benefit bcoz after releasing of fermi GT300 all ati directx11 and other cards price will be reduced.Till then u r 8800Gt will Do fine...

Yup, for Gaming i dont think investing 10k on Processor aint a good go, so hold ur horses wait till the GT300s & not to mention the i5, i3 !

i invested 8k this year on the mobo n max it can support is quad 9550 so i was planning to get quad..i think with quad i can make thru 2011-12..8800Gt is a pretty decent card..it gives avg 60 fps on high settings at 1600X900 on almost all games..

i dont see any need to upgrade the gpu..i will gain max increment of 10fps if i get gt250..if i go for i7 or i3 i will have to buy a new mobo again...my proccy is the bottleneck in my config..

i was confused between a high end core 2 duo or a quad..if core 2 duo is sufficient then i can save some cash n get a new psu also..

guys help me choose between core 2 duo e8400 or core 2 quad 9400..?

shanil said:
i invested 8k this year on the mobo n max it can support is quad 9550 so i was planning to get quad..i think with quad i can make thru 2011-12..8800Gt is a pretty decent card..it gives avg 60 fps on high settings at 1600X900 on almost all games..
i dont see any need to upgrade the gpu..i will gain max increment of 10fps if i get gt250..if i go for i7 or i3 i will have to buy a new mobo again...my proccy is the bottleneck in my config..
i was confused between a high end core 2 duo or a quad..if core 2 duo is sufficient then i can save some cash n get a new psu also..

That's why it wise never to spend more than 5k on mobo unless Crossfiring or SLI

shanil said:

I would suggest neither because it won't help you to get through 2011-12

You will notice quite a bit of performance difference in some games and a marginal increase in performance in many others.

shanil said:
why dude...?

LGA 775 is dead.

DDR2 is going to be pretty soon . Already DDR3 has penetrated the market and from January 3 Intel Core i3, core i5 is going to trigger the bomb for mainstreaming DDR3

No more Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quads are made now and will never be made.

Existing stocks are now only cleared out.

I would advise you to sell your mobo and go the AMD AM3 way.

Its futureproof for 2011 and offers better price/performance and budget (quad cores) energy saving cpu's than LGA 775

yes, getting a second hand quad makes sense...

i want to utilize my board to the fullest..thats y i wanted to get quad..

i7 might be the best but then again i will have to spend helluva cash on new mobo n procy..

n quad is not so inferior that should wait i3,i5 launch..

i want to upgrade my proccy because its the minimum recommended cpu for gaming..

if i get quad i can easily make through 2011..n if i want i think even with OCing my cpu..lol

Back