So whose Bombay is it anyway?

Today i was shocked to see what happened on the streets of mumbai, with the Raj Thakeray's men rioting and beating up innocent ppl, taxi drivers and hawkers and just about everyone they thought was not a maharashtrian. It is such a shameful incident in a free and liberal country like india where ppl from all parts of the country migrate to cities in other states, and make those cities their home and even contribute to economy of the city and the state. Is this how you honor or show your gratitude to such ppl? :S I'm sure even maharashtrians wudnt relate with what happened today here...do you think those political ba$tards really care for the common people or the Maharshtrians?? :| All they want is to gain more votes by fooling ppl by such heinous acts..:no:

I really have this question for the Maharashtrians here..do you think what happened here was right? :S

I'm not a Maharshtrian, but i've been staying in Maharashtra for more than a decade now. I can speak and understand Marathi and consider Mumbai to be my home forever. I love it more than any other place in this world. So am i not a part of Mumbai?? :S

More news here...

Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) activists clashed with Samajwadi Party supporters close to the venue of a rally organised by United National Progressive Alliance (UNPA) in Mumbai on Sunday.

The clash took place before the start of the rally at Shivaji Park where top leaders of UNPA, including Samajwadi Party chief and the group's Chairman Mulayam Singh Yadav, were scheduled to speak.

Some members of the mob were detained and security at the venue in Central Mumbai stepped up, police said.

Activists of both political parties assembled outside the Plaza Cinema in Dadar and indulged in stone pelting. Five cars were also damaged in the incident.

The clash comes hours after actress and Samajwadi Party MP Jaya Bachchan's retaliation to MNS President Raj Thackeray's statement against her husband and superstar Amitabh Bachchan.

Incidents of tearing of posters en-route to Shivaji Park in Central Mumbai allegedly by MNS activists to disrupt the rally have also been reported.

India Today - The most widely read newsweekly in South Asia.

I feel sorry for the poor rickshaw/taxi driver whose livelihood was taken away. Imagine that poor fellow who will most likely be uneducated going through the hassle of insurance claim(does insurance even cover vandalism?).

This will go against them in the end. I don't think maharastrians esp. bombay people care too much about the whole outsiders thing after so many years. And let's be honest, the whole issue is just to introduce Raj as a new leader.

Some innocent and poor people have to bear the brunt of political greed :( .

Hitting somebody just because he's from somewhere...that's racism.

To be honest.. i think no one else but it is us who shd be blamed ..

We allow these sort of ppl to flourish and they play around with lesser 'mentally abled' people.

I think Maharashtra is well and truly on its way of becoming the Gunda Rashtra of India.

I don't understand why this damn issue comes up in Mumbai again and again. We have many cosmopolitan cities in India, people there complain about "immigrants" there.

Why does it have to Jai Maharashtra...Why not Jai Hind! Sad...really sad :(

2kewl said:
We have many cosmopolitan cities in India, people there complain about "immigrants" there.

Memories of.. Paki go home :D

..best part..they say you are not from the state :no:

..very sad for these ppl, but whatever Thackeray's men are doing they are getting noticed. These sorts of incidents are actually popularity tests and in a way gambles. If he gets noticed he is someone to be reckoned with, if he gets ignored...then he is dead! :eek:hyeah:

Edit: *never* complain

" If he gets noticed he is someone to be reckoned with, if he gets ignored...then he is dead!"

I guess so! No wonder the guy has launched an attack on Mr. Bachchan...what better way to get noticed. Jaya Bachchan gave him a royal snub though :lol:

^^It happens a lot here in Bangalore too. Just recently, Kannadigas here complained about the government being biased against the locals with regards to employment in the railways. They blocked railway lines and stranded people for hours.

I mean no offense to any1 but to think of it logically, if what raj thakeray wants to do, tht is drive off all non maharashtrians from mumbai, do you think mumbai as the commercial capital of india will survive?? :S Take away the gujjus and the stock market will come crashing down..take away the marwadis,punjabis and muslims and most of the business and trade in mumbai will come to a halt...take away the uttar radeshis and biharis and the commuting in mumbai will become a nightmare bcos the majority of taxi drivers here are from there..the entertainment industry here is equally filled up with ppl from all parts of the country from UP to west bengal to the southern states..most hotels here are run by the shettys from south...

Drive all these ppl away and see what happens to the economy of mumbai..:no: Ppl forget this simple thing tht like major metropolises around the world, u cannot claim a city like DElhi or Mumbai for one single community as majority. As long as India remains a secular, liberal and free country, such kind of atrocities cannot and shud not be tolerated.

I still wonder how come Raj thakeray has not been arrested yet for inciting communal violence in a public place. This just shows how much power and resolve the law enforcement agencies in india have. :no:

Shitty means to get into limelight...and no one's arresting him either.

BTW, popular thread...never seen so many members viewing at once ;)

111zm3.jpg

Private Ryan said:
I'm sure even maharashtrians wudnt relate with what happened today here...do you think those political ba$tards really care for the common people or the Maharshtrians?? :| All they want is to gain more votes by fooling ppl by such heinous acts..:no:
I'm not a Maharashtrian either, and I've been living in Bombay all my life. I've never faced any discrimination personally, and while I think these acts are politically motivated, I also think they're a reflection of the mindset of a reasonable size of the states population. Most educated people are immune to, and not really a target of race politics. Affluent immigrants are obviously blamed for the lack of the native populations success, but, right now, the people who actually suffer are those who've been forced to move to a hostile, unhealthy, corrupt city (which I love!) due to extreme poverty. Eventually though we're all going to suffer, unless we stop being quiet and start standing up and making ourselves heard. It's not 'amchi mumbai'...Bombay is us...not ours..us.

All is politics.......

It jus shows for vote bank how low u can go.....

This bS dont gets up before 11 am plus himself travel in foreign cars....Also has no connection with aam aadmi....and he come stating other guys take marathi ppl jobs.....i want to ask who have stopped marathi ppls not to try hands in up and other part of country.....I guess most of the place where ppl work is really hardwork why dont they themselves start their taxi business....they all want stuffs in hand.....

See where reservation lands u.....u want every stuff in hand without hardwork and then blame other that u took our jobs

Bum Bum Bhole, hum aur aap iss par kya boley?? :p

But, I loved the statement by the MNS spokesperson- "When in Maharashtra, live like Maharashtrians". :lol:
I have lived like a Maharashtrian most of my life, dunno if they will accept me as one. :p

I also live like a Punjabi, Mallu, Gujju, ... as per my mood and company. :lol:
sydras said:
I feel sorry for the poor rickshaw/taxi driver whose livelihood was taken away. Imagine that poor fellow who will most likely be uneducated going through the hassle of insurance claim(does insurance even cover vandalism?).
There are additional clauses that need to be added at the time of issue/renewal and are chraged extra at some percent of IEV.
More than theft, i used to be worried about such crap and that's why paid extra for insuring against- Riot, Strike, Earthquake, Flood.
Dunno if this incident is classified as riot(should be most prolly, imho) or they only consider events where it's declared a riot and the area is curfewed or something. :p

Its just political stunt. Everyone pulls stunts like these out all over country every now and then.

What happened today was just to get a media attention and nothing else.

Dont blame state and people living here for this. Believe it or not, exception of power issue outside mumbai, this is one of the most liberal and good to live state in country and people in Mumbai know how good this city is an what does it mean to be a Mumbaikar.

I am not exactly maharashtrian, my native place is Goa but my family is resident of Mumbai for last 150 years, we all speak marathi at home and none of us or people i know support these acts.

Problem with Mumbai is that there is soo much inflow of people that it has really become a problem. Lot of people who dont earn much are flooding city resulting in increase in slum areas eventually fueling degradation of infrastructure and law enforcement situation in state and city. Its a very real problem and there are some parts in Mumbai dominantly occupied by people from UP and Bihar ( no offense to people who are living there ) where a sane person wont even think of visiting or going near there late evening. Flame me for saying this bu this is very real problem and there is at the moment no solution in sight for it.

I have seen countless victims of mob violence while doing my internship in hospitals happening in these areas. A lonely person getting beaten up by gang of north indian taxiwalas because he insisted on paying by Tcard during late night run. Things like this are happening.

But what happened today is not a way to solve the problem and MNS and Raj thakery only degraded image of Maharashtrians by doing what they did today.

As a state and city the person who is coming from outside will find Mumbai and Maharashtra to be very easy to adjust and accommodating environment. Its very easy to settle in this part of the world. Countless opportunities, most people dont care if you are marathi or not, everyone usually gets along nicely. But when things like this happens a controversy is created for incorrect reasons by incorrect means.

And to be honest Mumbai was never really marathi as such. It was part of Gujrath to begin with hence such large gujju population here, it is cosmopolitan since 50s ( my dad remembers it this way ).

I suggest you forget this incident and move on, even giving such incidents attention is not worth it.

Spacescreamer said:
To be honest.. i think no one else but it is us who shd be blamed ..
We allow these sort of ppl to flourish and they play around with lesser 'mentally abled' people.

I think Maharashtra is well and truly on its way of becoming the Gunda Rashtra of India.

Yeah sad stuff but true, maharashtra is going to the dogs now -->> especially mumbai.

Ck Nish said:
^^It happens a lot here in Bangalore too. Just recently, Kannadigas here complained about the government being biased against the locals with regards to employment in the railways. They blocked railway lines and stranded people for hours.

Thats bcse, our good old railway minister sent a train load of people from Bihar for a south western railway recruitment drive.

The reason such clashes happen is because of ignorance and lack of opportunities at certain economical levels.

IMO, I think its none of my business to ask some guy why he is in my city. He has every right to be wherever he wants and I think even I have such a right. The problem occurs when incidents such as above happens and I have no answer for such things. Thinking of it, both ends are just trying to eek out a living.

The saddest part is our politicians loose no time in turning such things violent to make sure they get their publicity.

Well, funky, i agree with you...i for one always believed tht normal middle class maharashtrians (working ppl ) are one of the most peace loving ppl just like bengalis,gujjus and many others..:p They ahve a lot of problems of their own to solve than to think about all this..but the way these politicians try to incite violence in the minds of ppl, its not right..this shud be corrected.. I agree, there is influx of a lot fof unscrupulous elements into the city in search of easy money and greener pastures and these account to the slum populations here..but if u look at other cities, this problem is there in almost all the big cities of the world. Such unscrupulous elements need to be corrected, no doubt...and tht is my point..why dont these politicians launch a drive against such ppl? Why harass normal middle class mumbaikars who are much more busy with their own lives and have their own share of problems to look into than indulge in such acts?? Maharshtrians or non maharahstrians not withstanding...educated ppl anywhr are always an asset to a state or a city...they only contribute to the growth.

What i hate is this ugly politics these politicians play in order to attain limelight and gather votes? Sadly ppl evn fall for their tactics..:no: Its such a sad scenario...:no: I wud go on to say this tht what he is trying to do here is nothing short of what the talibans did in afghanistan...:no: Seriously, its not as if india is progressing..its as if we are going back to anarchy..:no:

Private Ryan said:
...and tht is my point..why dont these politicians launch a drive against such ppl? Why harass normal middle class mumbaikars who are much more busy with their own lives and have their own share of problems to look into than indulge in such acts?? Maharshtrians or non maharahstrians not withstanding...educated ppl anywhr are always an asset to a state or a city...they only contribute to the growth.

The show was not for the middle class ppl but for the working class who i suspect is where the vote bank lies for reasons Funky elaborated above. Resonates with the audience it has been crafted for as they feel the brunt more than the middle class. So long as mumbai does *not* go to the dogs then the numbers will be limited.
Private Ryan said:
What i hate is this ugly politics these politicians play in order to attain limelight and gather votes? Sadly ppl evn fall for their tactics..:no: Its such a sad scenario...:no: I wud go on to say this tht what he is trying to do here is nothing short of what the talibans did in afghanistan...:no: Seriously, its not as if india is progressing..its as if we are going back to anarchy..:no:

As others said, politics as usual, same plot, done over & again, so many times, all around the world.

Back