So whose Bombay is it anyway?

Wraith said:
Tomm someone will come along and say we dont want Marathi as the official language of the state of Maharashtra because its inconvinient to a particular class of ppl......is there any sense in it??

..how can you change what ppl have been speaking in an area of the country (or anywhere else for that matter) since those ppl came to be ?

My interpretation is Maharashtra is the state of the Marathi people, and its natives speak Marathi.

I really can't see how anything can change that unless they get forced to learn another language :)

...and 200yrs of British rule really did nothing to dilute any of these languages, all it did was add English to the mix

blr_p said:
..how can you change what ppl have been speaking in an area of the country (or anywhere else for that matter) since those ppl came to be ?

My interpretation is Maharashtra is the state of the Marathi people, and its natives speak Marathi.

I really can't see how anything can change that unless they get forced to learn another language :)

...and 200yrs of British rule really did nothing to dilute any of these languages, all it did was add English to the mix
And the same goes for the city named Mumbai :)

I'm cool with mumbai, it does not sound worse than Bombay ;)

retains the 2 syllables, like chennai or kolkatta, you can remember these.

THEY ARE REAL NAMES!

...bengalooru otoh sounds like some forgotten village in the middle of butt-f**-nowhere !

try saying it with a high-pitched, nasal voice and i think its pretty clear whether its an improvement

No need for a scan, the link provided is excellent :)

It's blowback time, when's this Raj going to pay for what he has wrought ?

or would that be too naive

magnet said:
found an intresting article on raj thackeray

hope u ppl can go through it...if not ill scan the newspaper

HindustanTimes ePaper

Thats a brilliant article IMHO, really shows the frustration of raj thackeray that eventually led to this whole debate. He thinks that he couldve got some publicity out of this but i think the drama that unfolded during the past 4-5 days has only damaged his reputation and which would lead to the demise of the so called 'MNS'. Did any of you guys see the debate on NDTV about this whole controversy, one of the guests called on the show was the spokesperson was of MNS, and during the show someone from the audience said the word 'Bombay' and the spokesperson got provoked and told him to use 'Mumbai' instead and mind his language. I mean wtf this is a democracy i can call it bombay if i want i dont need any politician to force me to call the city only mumbai, it just shows the level of the people residing in MNS.

one more link..

sorry if u guys think i m personal with him..its just that i read this journalist article regularly on wednesday...just came to know she wrote editorial on Tuesday too so sharing

this shows the real motive of raj is kicking sena...he doesnt think abt common man

HindustanTimes ePaper

Back