Are you happy with the new unveil from Sony ?

• Yes, I have been waiting for this

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • No, specs didn't live up-to my expectation !

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Meh, Master race PC FTW !

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

! 0 t A

Skilled
Sony has unveiled (in line with market expectations) two new versions of the PS4.

1. PS4 Pro : The console will complement the standard PS4 and sit alongside it. The name was picked to show that it is part of the current version of the console, but aimed at the higher-end gamers. It is not an entirely new architecture and thus not a new generation of PlayStation hardware. It is touted to be "2x" as powerful on the graphics front as compared to the legacy PS4. Some specs:
  • Main processor: Custom-chip single Processor
    • CPU: x86-64 AMD "Jaguar," 8 cores
    • GPU: 4.20 TFLOPS, AMD Radeon™ based graphics engine (RX 480 equivalent)
  • Memory: GDDR5 8GB
  • Storage size: 1TB
It will launch on November 10, 2016 and cost $399/£349/A$560.

3126169-ps4_7000_acc_withnotice.jpg

2. PS4 Slim: According to Sony, its volume has been reduced by 30 percent and it weighs between 16 and 25 percent less (depending on the specific model of the standard PS4). Additionally, it uses between 28 and 34 percent less power.

It's a smaller, more energy efficient system with a 500 GB hard drive that will become the standard PS4 going forward. It will be in "most markets" on September 15 for $299 (299 Euros/259 GBP).
3126139-ps4.jpg

3. New Accessories : Updated Controller and Redesigned Camera
The main additions are a front-facing lightbar (allowing light to come through at the top of the touchpad) and USB communication support (in addition to Bluetooth). It'll carry an MSRP of $60 and, presumably due to the relatively minor additions, doesn't have a new name--this is still the DualShock 4.
3126237-controller.jpg

The new PlayStation Camera, which appears to have gone through a visual makeover and nothing more. It has a new cylindrical design and a stand that lets you adjust the angle of the camera, but otherwise it "inherits all the features available on the current model, including PlayStation VR support." This will also sell for $60.
3126253-cam.jpg

Sony will also release a new wireless headset called the Platinum Wireless Headset. This will carry a premium price tag over the existing Gold headset, costing $160. It's described as a "high-end" headset featuring "premium construction and materials for extra comfort, as well as enhanced highly positional 7.1 virtual surround sound powered by SIE's proprietary 3D audio technology." It also has a hidden microphone and a 3.5 mm audio jack, and it's compatible with PlayStation VR.
3126258-head.jpg

Any guesses on India launch dates and pricing ??

Finally want to jump in on the console gaming action. I have an option of getting it via US through a relative, but am afraid of warranty issues that creep in with it.

I am in similar boat, I am in Taiwan now, and will be there for some time. So I get PS4's for about same cost as US and with warranty. I am leaning towards PS4 Pro as this will be my first console and have a low end graphics laptop (no plan to get a PC).
  1. I am worried as the onus is on developers the Pro will be just a namesake PS4 with only few titles really exploiting its power or should I save the 100USD and go for PS4 slim ? (Most of the titles confirmed to getting the patch are the ones I am planning to buy ..)
  2. The main concern is with play store, which PSN store should I go with?
    • Taiwan store: Games cost same as US, all major titles are available in English, easier to pay (my local account)
    • US store: the way I see is more game options, and streaming maybe (Netflix US), but I have no idea if I will need a real US card to pay
    • Indian store: I thought game prices would be lower but does not seem likely, so maybe you guys could suggest?
Any suggestions would be helpful.
TIA

Zopeon

You can create multiple accounts, each for a different store.. Its just that only the primary account games are shared across other users on the same ps4 and only 1 account can be made primary for a particular ps4..
I prefer getting games in physical disc format, play it and sell it off..
For digital games, I have a US psn account as primary and an indian psn account as secondary.. I purchase ps+ for the US psn account and play all games on the indian account..

You can create multiple accounts, each for a different store.. Its just that only the primary account games are shared across other users on the same ps4 and only 1 account can be made primary for a particular ps4..
I prefer getting games in physical disc format, play it and sell it off..
For digital games, I have a US psn account as primary and an indian psn account as secondary.. I purchase ps+ for the US psn account and play all games on the indian account..

why not buy indian ps+ ?

US PS+ games used to be different from India. In fact India PS+ got better games as it was tagged with EU. Now not so sure whether they are putting out same games across all regions. Check Playstation blog (US & EU).

Netflix (US) is available on Indian PS store.

HBO GO is supposed to be launched I'm guessing its for US only.

I have been on the PS Plus from last two years and I don't I am renewing the membership, going forward. In the last 24 months, I never saw any good games for PS4 (although the PS3 did get a fair share of excellent games). The only decent non-indie game that I recall being available was First Light. Unless you want to play multiplayer games, I just don't see a point in going for the PS Plus

US PS+ games used to be different from India. In fact India PS+ got better games as it was tagged with EU. Now not so sure whether they are putting out same games across all regions. Check Playstation blog (US & EU).

Talking about PS+ is it just me or did Vita get just 1 game and PS4 got 3?

I dunno why I think I should have avoided the FW update on Vita and gone with the hack. Most games I have are digital anyways and the pricing of these digital games too are insane irrespective of content. The content manager on PC is not that great either. Media Go for PSP was wayyyyy better.

Talking about PS4 - The slim version doesn't have an optical out. On my old TV this would be a deal breaker but at the same time I don't know why they removed it in the first place. The Pro is a really tasty prospect and it's price makes all that waiting worthwhile.

Stupid Indian taxes and import duties which makes it a bit too pricey. With UC 4 out already and GT Sport on it's way this is definitely on my radar now.

I really wish PS4 was backward compatible though since my PS3 died about a month or 2 back and I had to get a new PS3 and I am paying the EMIs :(

Alse Sony should really give options of sorting digital content that I bought because the current list is a nightmare and what makes it worse is if you are a PSN+ account holder for a few years then every IGC game you marked as bought before the renewal date gets marked with the renewal date as the bought date which makes the already horrible listing even worse.

now all games are same in all regions

I think in General the quality of games offered have gone down compared to PS3. The only reason I'm keeping it activated is for online and PS3 games.

I think in General the quality of games offered have gone down compared to PS3. The only reason I'm keeping it activated is for online and PS3 games.
All Vita keeps getting is Indie nonsense which is why going for CFW would make more sense. Amnesia is a visual novel not something that I consider to be a game.

I understand what you mean. It was always going to be difficult to sustain what they started late in the PS3 lifecycle specially with Xbox Live's strong social features. Now that mindshare has shifted from Xbox to PlayStation in the last couple of years, prices are going up & lack of AAA games is disappointing if not surprising.

Almost all PS4 games are priced at 3.5-4K. The pricing has been horrible. Gamers want a diverse collection of games and these guys are pushing out titles at 4 grand for sustained profitability.

I returned my Deus Ex PS4 copy and got it on steam. Not that it has its own problems but back to upgrading my PC.

Guys a quick question, If I have a PS Plus memberships and I remove an earlier downloaded free game (from PS +) and I want to install it afterwards can I do that?

The new PlayStation Camera, which appears to have gone through a visual makeover and nothing more. It has a new cylindrical design and a stand that lets you adjust the angle of the camera, but otherwise it "inherits all the features available on the current model, including PlayStation VR support." This will also sell for $60.

I'm ready to buy the PSVR together with the PS4 PRO. This will be my first PS4 since I have been using an Xbox One in the mean time. I do have the PS3 Playstation Camera from previously but I take it I cannot use this on the PS4? I know there was a camera that came out together with the vanilla PS4 version. Is this one identical as posted above, except for the visual appearance? No extra power whatsoever?

As per reports its November end. I am also waiting for the Pro to come and hoping it to be around 40k.

Last edited:
Back