Android Sony Xperia Z Tablet thread

comp@ddict

Skilled
Hey guys! I'm planning to buy the Xperia Z tablet as I realised that a 10.1 inch tablet caters to all my needs.

What I do with my laptop:
- Surf (a LOT)
- Watch videos on YouTube
- Blog and Write
- Watch TV shows and movies
- Read PDFs/Slides, Study Material mostly
- Android development

Now out of all these, the only thing the Xperia Z tablet won't be able to do cover is the last point which is a non-issue (I will continue using my laptop for that). I don't really feel like carrying my laptop to the library when I can complete my requirements with a 500 gram device. Also, buying a new laptop is a no-go as I will buy one when I pass out of college (2015).

30dcnpf.jpg

Sony Xperia Z Tablet
  • Snapdragon S4 Pro
  • 1.5 GHz quad core Krait
  • Adreno 320 GPU
  • 2 GB RAM
  • 10.1 Inch WUXGA (1920 x 1200) display
  • 16 GB Storage
  • microSD card slot (SDXC support, up to 64 GB)
  • 8.1 MP Exmor RS camera
  • 2.2 MP front camera
  • Wi-Fi only version
  • 6.9 mm thick
  • 495 grams weight
  • 6000 mAh battery
  • Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean

I fully intend on buying this device when it launches next week in India and using it with the following accessories:

- Dock
- Bluetooth Keyboard
- Bluetooth Mouse
- Bluetooth controller (for gaming)

Help out in buying

Supposedly releasing in another 10 days. Would've gone for it but I was too impatient, plus I got a great deal on the Transformer Infinity. Features and spec wise, the Tablet Z is incredible. Easily destroying all the previous top-end Android tablets, but I'd suggest you wait a bit for final professional and user reviews before pulling the trigger.

- Dock : No idea.
- Keyboard : This Logitech Bluetooth Keyboard seems like a great option. At 40$ it works great with tablets and its case even doubles up as a temporary stand for your tablet. WIN! However, having blown my tablet budget by a long shot I've decided to go for a cheaper keyboard, most probably one of these Motorola ones. They work perfect, have the required keys and they're at the 20$ range. Theres a newer Motorola keyboard at 40$ which has a trackpad too, but I didn't research that.
- Mouse : No idea.
- Controller : Perhaps the PS3 one? Heard you can pair it to your phone/tablet and setup the keys with an app.

EDIT : Little more detail.

Supposedly releasing in another 10 days. Would've gone for it but I was too impatient, plus I got a great deal on the Transformer Infinity. Features and spec wise, this thing is incredible. Easily destroying all the previous top-end Android tablets, but I'd suggest you wait a bit for final professional and user reviews before pulling the trigger.

- Dock : No idea.
- Keyboard : This Logitech Bluetooth Keyboard seems like a great option. At 40$ it works great with tablets and its case even double up as a temporary stand for your tablet. WIN! However, having blown my tablet by a long shot I've decided to go for a cheaper keyboard, most probably one of these Motorola ones. They work perfect, have the required keys and they're at the 20$ range. Theres a newer Motorola keyboard at 40$ which has a trackpad too, but I didn't research that.
- Mouse : No idea.
- Controller : Perhaps the PS3 one? Heard you can pair it to your phone/tablet and setup the keys with an app.

How much for did you get the Infinity for, and from where?

How much for did you get the Infinity for, and from where?
Got the Infinity for 350$ new from Amazon. Not Amazon exactly but from one of its partners stores, fulfilled by Amazon though.

I really would've liked to have gone for the Tab Z. Pretty much perfect unlike all the current top end tablets which have one flaw or the other. Ex. :

Transformer Infinity : Underpowered, crappy speakers, proprietary usb slot and a bit pricey.
Iconia A700 : Quite Underpowered, Heavy/fat, Laggy software, overheating issues (some of these have been reportedly fixed).
Note 10.1 : Pricey, Low-screen res compared to others, Note features don't work too well, ok-ok build quality.
Nexus 10 : High res screen doesn't scale well with apps, ok-ok build quality, screen quality is disappointing.

Unfortunately, I didn't have the cash nor patience so I settled for an Infinity. I'll use this for a year and then probably upgrade to something better (if I feel the need) at the end of the year.

In US the 32GB model comes with the dock if you preorder it. Any idea if same offer is available in India. I didn't know it was being launched in India at the same time and was gonna order from US.

In US the 32GB model comes with the dock if you preorder it. Any idea if same offer is available in India. I didn't know it was being launched in India at the same time and was gonna order from US.
Is it going to be launched in India? Any information on this? And if so will the price match the ones in the US. Current US prices are 499 for 16gb and 599 for 32gb. Didn't see anything about a dock.

I highly doubt that its going to be anything less than 40k (Indian pricing), cross your fingers and hope for the best!

I highly doubt that its going to be anything less than 40k (Indian pricing), cross your fingers and hope for the best!

$499 for 16 GB Wi-Fi version translates to a less than INR 30k price in India.

@comp@ddict are you actually going to buy this when it releases in India or just going to be an EPIC thread as we know about the HUGE DILEMMA

• (Check) Showed parents the tablet videos
  • (Check) Got approval
  • (Check) Arranged for funds
  • (Check) Did all internal research
  • (Check) Got internal feedback from owners at Singapore
I'm buying it!

Last edited by a moderator:
$499 for 16 GB Wi-Fi version translates to a less than INR 30k price in India.

• (Check) Showed parents the tablet videos
  • (Check) Got approval
  • (Check) Arranged for funds
  • (Check) Did all internal research
  • (Check) Got internal feedback from owners at Singapore
I'm buying it!
Less than 30k,how?

Shipping will be added plus customs duty of about 16-20%,as this a tablet and not a phone.

It'll be quite a bit dude. Say you get it from Amazon, 28k (499$) + customs (16% of 28k = 5k) + shipping (1.5k - 2k max), comes to around 35k. The Indian versions price will easily be 40k imo.

Xperia Z Tablet already got -

1. Sony AOSP
2. FXP CM10.1

Development is going to be heavy for this tablet!

EDIT:

Launch date might be May 24th, that's this Friday! Pricing will be less than 40k don't worry!

Back