Budget 0-20k SSD Advise needed!

Ckhurana

Disciple
Hello Everyone!

I am writing in as I am on the lookout for a 2TB SSD preferable under 10,000 INR (~USD 120).

My main purpose is to use this in a Sabrent m.2 enclosure.

I will be using this in Tandem in my photography workflow -
Memory card -> Samsung T7 2B -> 2 TB M.2 Sabrent -> 4 TB HDD.

As the enclosure will anyways limit it to USB 3.2 speeds, I need suggestion / advise on which M.2 to go in for based on the durability more than speed.
Also with the Amazon sale ongoing - any quick suggestions welcome!!

Kindly suggest!

Thanks for the suggestions! Reliability wise, how do they hold up?
I have heard some horror stories about the SN350 but SN580 seems to be doing better review wise.
Also, any thoughts about the Black SN770? It is under 11k at the moment at itgadgetsonline.com although I haven't had any dealing with them ever?

Thanks for the suggestions! Reliability wise, how do they hold up?
I have heard some horror stories about the SN350 but SN580 seems to be doing better review wise.
Also, any thoughts about the Black SN770? It is under 11k at the moment at itgadgetsonline.com although I haven't had any dealing with them ever?
Since you'll be using a 10GB interface, you'll get around the quater of the performance of these drive, it really doesn't matter what you buy. Just go with the least expensive one that is good. SN580, KC3000, S70 blade or even SN770 all are very solid options. Go with whatever you like, you can't get wrong here.

I'm using a SN570 & SN850 in enclosures, there no difference in transfer speeds.

Also, how did you get that Sabrent enclosure?

From a durability point of view you can go with Adata S70 Blade as it has dram cache. Its going for 11k on computech. There's also Adata S40G which is a gen3 ssd. It also had dram cache albeit much less than S70 Blade. This is going for 9.4k on computech. SN770 is going for a little over 11k on mdcomputers. That would be fine too though its dramless. SN570/SN580 have much lower tbw compared to others. 900tbw on both sn570 and 580 compared to 1200 on sn770, 1280 on S40G and 1480 on S70 Blade.

I would say go with S70 Blade.

Since you'll be using a 10GB interface, you'll get around the quater of the performance of these drive, it really doesn't matter what you buy. Just go with the least expensive one that is good. SN580, KC3000, S70 blade or even SN770 all are very solid options. Go with whatever you like, you can't get wrong here.

I'm using a SN570 & SN850 in enclosures, there no difference in transfer speeds.

Also, how did you get that Sabrent enclosure?
Thanks.
I am leaning towards S70 Blade (1K more than my budget but seems to have a higher durability than WD).
For the Sabrent, I had got it in 2001 from Amazon.com but it is now available on Amazon.in @ sale (republic day) here. It is one of the best reviewed cases for both NVMe / SATA support.

Forgot to add a couple of resources: SSD List Spreadsheet. Techpowerup SSD Database.
Thanks!
I posted almost the same Q @ reddit, and u/newmaxx, the author of the SSD List Spreadsheet says, and I quote him -
The SN770 and SN580 use similar hardware, but go for the SN770 at around the same price. It would be a good fit for an enclosure I think. As for the S70, used to be very popular but the controller has a bad reputation these days.
What do you guys think, kunnalthapa, Kubdya Khavis, gourav?

Thanks!
I posted almost the same Q @ reddit, and u/newmaxx, the author of the SSD List Spreadsheet says, and I quote him -

What do you guys think, kunnalthapa, Kubdya Khavis, gourav?

Hmm. Looks like that controller seems to have a problem with a particular firmware for some people. Some people are reporting that an updated firmware seems to solve the problem. Some are reporting it works fine with a ps5 but has problems with a pc. Funny that the reviews didnt mention this. If thats the case then just go with the SN770. It just 1k more than the SN580.

Thanks.
I am leaning towards S70 Blade (1K more than my budget but seems to have a higher durability than WD).
For the Sabrent, I had got it in 2001 from Amazon.com but it is now available on Amazon.in @ sale (republic day) here. It is one of the best reviewed cases for both NVMe / SATA support.
Ofcourse it's one of the best, it's Sabrent. I'm surprised it got under radar for me as i was looking for an enclosure about 2 months ago. Then decided to go with either PiBox or cablet and settled for the later one. I'm actually surprised how high quality cablet is and impressed by it.

Anyways the S70 blade issue was resolved with a firmware. If you noticed, that article was about 2years old and the issue were in the initial batches with older firmware. If you've purchased SN770 then great, if not then you can still consider S70 today as well.

Ofcourse it's one of the best, it's Sabrent. I'm surprised it got under radar for me as i was looking for an enclosure about 2 months ago. Then decided to go with either PiBox or cablet and settled for the later one. I'm actually surprised how high quality cablet is and impressed by it.

Anyways the S70 blade issue was resolved with a firmware. If you noticed, that article was about 2years old and the issue were in the initial batches with older firmware. If you've purchased SN770 then great, if not then you can still consider S70 today as well.
Yes Sabrent one is good - I have had it for the past couple of years too - have a 500GB WD SATA for quick access to portable software.
I haven't bought any SSD yet - was still contemplating, but the Blade issues have been popping up recently as well. Refer the below latest ones on the same page I share above.
Here is one from India as well
I am thinking of playing safe and thus leaning towards Sn770.

1705574253261.png

Last edited:
Yes Sabrent one is good - I have had it for the past couple of years too - have a 500GB WD SATA for quick access to portable software.
I haven't bought any SSD yet - was still contemplating, but the Blade issues have been popping up recently as well. Refer the below latest ones on the same page I share above.
Here is one from India as well
I am thinking of playing safe and thus leaning towards Sn770.

View attachment 188376
I have 2 of my known who are using an S70 blade without any issues for quite sometime now & one of them told me the firmware fixed the issue. So, i was under the impression that the issue was resolved. But it seems like it hasn't and it's still common.

Anyways I don't see a reason to buy it and it's always better to be safe. While SN770 is old, it's still one of the best. WD black series have always been a very durable storage solution.

Hello all, sorry to revive this thread. I had ordered the SN770 but my order got cancelled - twice. Since then the drive seems to be running short online - although I have managed to confirm a fresh lot due to arrive at the local Computer Market in Delhi (Nehru Place).

My question is that I came across this forum / Thread here on TechEnclave for open box sales on SSDs. Link Here.
I went though the thread and the person and the experience seems genuine. I think a Samsung 980 pro 2tb @ 10500 (with an SN770 going for 11500) would be a good deal? (although the warranty is lesser, that too a seller warranty for 1 year compared to 5 as WD standard).

Can you please check once and let me know if you guys advise it?
@gourav, @kunnalthapa, @Kubdya Khavis - your opinion please!

Last edited:
Hello all, sorry to revive this thread. I had ordered the SN770 but my order got cancelled - twice. Since then the drive seems to be running short online - although I have managed to confirm a fresh lot due to arrive at the local Computer Market in Delhi (Nehru Place).

My question is that I came across this forum / Thread here on TechEnclave for open box sales on SSDs. Link Here.
I went though the thread and the person and the experience seems genuine. I think a Samsung 980 pro 2tb @ 10500 (with an SN770 going for 11500) would be a good deal? (although the warranty is lesser, that too a seller warranty for 1 year compared to 5 as WD standard).

Since your main requirement is durability wouldn't that 5 year warranty give you peaceful sleep? Both are good ssds for that price no doubt. Samsung has dram cache but both have 1200tbw. So for your use case you are paying 1k extra for the warranty essentially (+4 years is not a short time). If you feel you are fine without it then go with the Samsung ssd.

I had the same choice and went with SN770 2tb 10 days back for 11k ( Amazon with Card discount). SN580 for 10.5k was also good in onlyssd, but price seems to have gone up.

Although they fixed the firmware issues, i read in multiple places, including a thread in this forum recently, that the pro line can still have issues.
Hard to say with isolated cases, but i did not see much upside in buying 980 pro other than saving 500.

SN770 is fast enough, its hard to see performance difference in real world usage anyway.

I have used both the SSD..

To be honest you won't a diff between them in real life usage...

SN770 is very underrated SSD by many users but it is too good in reality...

So whichever costs u less plus and a decent warranty period, u can go for it...

Keeping it short, wait for SN770 to restock and pay 1k additional for 5yrs & peace of mind as @Kubdya said.

Back