Storage Solutions ST3500320AS 7200.11 Dead, Seagate is giving Replacement with DATA RECOVERY.

hemant0285

Disciple
I have a seagate St3500320AS (500gb) 7200.11 hdd which is dead
--NOT DETECTED BY BIOS..

as its discussed in many posts before... Seagate had some firmware issues and because of that their 7200.11 hdd s were going dead,,, and in US customers got replacement with their DATA RECOVERED unlik in other drives where only rplecement is given .. In India also till now they were giving Replacement but not DATA RECOVERY (thats wat i had heard before)

but on contacting Segate customer care 0008004401392 (some toll free kind of ISD number charged at Rs 1 per minute .. I guess this customer care s located at Singapore... As they work only from 8am to 5:30 pm Singpr Std Time)

they asked for my serial no,,, wihch on verifyin they found that my hard disk was in tat category --- Company s Firmware defect

Jus like nokia batteries nd Dell batteries which happend earlier :) :)

So they are going to arrange for a Logistic company to collect the drive send ti to Kadalur (tamil nadu) where they will flush the firmware with the new and Data will be intact ...
Even in seagate website it "HIGHLY RECOMMENDS" its customers having 7200.11 series of hardisk to flash their hardware before its dead like mine (not even deteced by BIOS)

So guys any one tried thi befor >> I mean in INDIA did the Seagate give a replacement with DATA Recovery.. please let me know.. As i dont want to be spoofed by them and later they sending me a blank hard disk..

so please share yr experiences if any...

Sei said:
I hope your disk does not have pirated movies and games.. You could be arrested! :O

they told me tat they will mail me a DISCLAIMER stating that it wont be screened. and anywayz it s done in india..right

has it happend before...?? please lemme knw.. because i got many movies includin BluRay Rips ....lol Prison break nd house....

^ I doubt they will check your personal data or anything of that sort , especially when they have already sent you a disclaimer that data wont be screened.

By the way you are lucky you are getting replacement with data recovery cause Accel Frontline which handles Seagate RMA in India provided Only replacement of the Hard Disk affected by the Firmware problem. Maybe you are getting the Data recovered cause you directly contacted Seagate and not Accel.

(Few months back my ST3500320AS ,wouldn't get detected due to the firmware issue . I had to get a replacement as Accel Frontline denied recovery and I lost almost 400 GB of Data.)

Best of Luck.

im using ST3500320AS. still with out any issues after firmware upgrade.

especially i was using it for OS installation. never had experienced a crash or dataloss yet.

how come only few have issues, even after firmware upgrade. i don't know..

or i'm lucky?

Is it recommended to update the firmware on your own for these HDDs? I own ST3500640AS. Does it fall in the 'possibly defective' category. I'm having around 4 bad blocks but apart from that the HDD is running just fine.

Kneo said:
Is it recommended to update the firmware on your own for these HDDs? I own ST3500640AS. Does it fall in the 'possibly defective' category. I'm having around 4 bad blocks but apart from that the HDD is running just fine.

well i don know if this hdd is also in the firmware issue problem. please chek seagate .com
Seagate Knowledge Base

hemant0285 said:
they told me tat they will mail me a DISCLAIMER stating that it wont be screened. and anywayz it s done in india..right

has it happend before...?? please lemme knw.. because i got many movies includin BluRay Rips ....lol Prison break nd house....

Hahaha was just pulling your leg. I don't think that it's going to happen. But if it does, do let us know alright :p

My Seagate 1TB .11 HDD went kaput a month back. I gave it to the dealer i purchased the PC through, after finding out that my hdd model was the one with the firmware bug. 2 weeks later i got the .12 model as a replacement[had very few data on the HDD since it was on one of my other hard disk :eek:hyeah:]. So i didn't care very much about the data recovery.

HellBoyX2 said:
im using ST3500320AS. still with out any issues after firmware upgrade.

especially i was using it for OS installation. never had experienced a crash or dataloss yet.

how come only few have issues, even after firmware upgrade. i don't know..

or i'm lucky?

DID U DO A FIRMWARE UPGRADE>>.... tHEN ITS FINE ... THE PROBLEM WAS IN THEIR OLD FIRMWARE...

sohancool said:
my seagate 1tb .11 hdd went kaput a month back. I gave it to the dealer i purchased the pc through, after finding out that my hdd model was the one with the firmware bug. 2 weeks later i got the .12 model as a replacement[had very few data on the hdd since it was on one of my other hard disk :eek:hyeah:]. So i didn't care very much about the data recovery.

yup same bug here.... Hopefuully segate gives replacement + data recovery... I am waitingfor them to send me the disclaimer ... I already mailed them twice ... And wtice these customer care ppl have replied without sending in the attachement... I m smelling somethin fishy ... S goin around... Well lets wait for another 1 day nd see.. Otherwise i got to contact some Data recovery company for recovery then throw the ST3500320AS bak to the RMA... for a replacement... and i have already enquired for data recovery.. minimum quote is 1500 for a firmware upgrade/flashing....lets see

Finally Got the disclamer form and also a mail from the logistics asking to keep the drive ready for collection./...
capturehyj.jpg

does seagate pick up other drives from home too? I have a 500 gb hdd 7200.12, which gets detected in bios but can't do anything in windows. Some days ago it gave SMART bad status too.

thetechmind said:
pls share the number where u called the seagate tech support , will be usefull for all....

Segate customer care 0008004401392 (some toll free kind of ISD number charged at Rs 1 per minute .. I guess this customer care s located at Singapore... As they work only from 8am to 5:30 pm Singpr Std Time

Hope this is helpful ... and please add Rep points if u find this helpful..

@hemant0285 - Thanks. This is really useful info.

I too have a shiny seagate brick with me. Its the same model with SD15 firmware and its not detected in BIOS.

Do update this thread with how this works out.

geek ashish said:
does seagate pick up other drives from home too? I have a 500 gb hdd 7200.12, which gets detected in bios but can't do anything in windows. Some days ago it gave SMART bad status too.

YOU NEED TO CONTACT THE CUSTOMER CARE .. On the number i mentioned.. I don think they will pick up .. In my case My drive (including some other models of 7200.11) have manufacturing defect (bad Firmware) ... so they are ready to give home pickup service..

BUT in yor case u need to contact the RMA for replacement...

fractal said:
@hemant0285 - Thanks. This is really useful info.

I too have a shiny seagate brick with me. Its the same model with SD15 firmware and its not detected in BIOS.

Do update this thread with how this works out.
contact on the number and regietsr for home pick up.. I have put up a copy of the disclaimer form also ... But i suggest u wait for some time until I recieve my hard disk back... WAT IF THEY FORMAT IT ND RETURN IT TO ME>.. which in a way can be done by getting a replacement also.. which is quick and easy...

so wait until i get the drive back...

Back