WTB Standalone CD/DVD player or a working old hifi system with Remote, with or without USB

JMak

Yeah.. I am at it ;)
Adept
Hi
Was wondering if anyone has got a cd player (cd/Divx/dvd/vcd/mp3/jpeg disc player) to dispose.. I had multiple.. Two are missing in the clutter... And two in form of music systems are unusable...
Wanted to just test a few things...
Thanks

Edit : Just remembered, I had given away those two standalone cd players a few years ago at a different forum I think..

Last edited:
Thread title updated
I am sure a lot you will be having those LG, philips, samsung, Sony DVD ayers lying around for years...
Before scourging through local OLX, I thought its better to ask here...
Let me know guys...

Just talked to someone on olx he seems to be having a dvd player from sony
DVP-NS 608P
Its specifications indicate that it plays audio Cds without down sampling (I hope)

https://www.olx.in/item/samsung-blu-ray-player-iid-1742347148 ?
Reasonably modern and compact, and should last for a while ? I personally am using a Sony BDP as a transport at my current house
Whatever BR players I am coming across have either a coaxial out or hdmi out.. I don't wish to buy anything else as a converter, DAC then some more cables and stuff..
Would rather prefer a no nonsense last generation of dvd player instead...
What say you guys???

Whatever BR players I am coming across have either a coaxial out or hdmi out.. I don't wish to buy anything else as a converter, DAC then some more cables and stuff..
What say you guys???

I would suggest getting a DAC like the Topping E30. Gives you way more options to connect your equipment. Even a Khadas Tone Board will suffice nicely.

The other option might be getting a FiiO D03K Digital to Audio converter and using that in-between the DVD Player and your Amp.

I would suggest getting a DAC like the Topping E30. Gives you way more options to connect your equipment. Even a Khadas Tone Board will suffice nicely.

The other option might be getting a FiiO D03K Digital to Audio converter and using that in-between the DVD Player and your Amp.
I don't wish to clutter it all at this point neither I am willing to spend anything anymore than what a simple cd or dvd player costs...

I don't wish to clutter it all at this point neither I am willing to spend anything anymore than what a simple cd or dvd player costs...

Then just keep searching for a DVD Player that has RCA Audio Out... I'm sure it won't take too long to get one.

P.S. There is this one seller who runs a Youtube Channel and deals with a lot of retro gear like older music systems and DVD Players, you can contact him once and check. I haven't bought anything from him ever though and neither know him. If you want I can PM you the YT Channel name.

Then just keep searching for a DVD Player that has RCA Audio Out... I'm sure it won't take too long to get one.

P.S. There is this one seller who runs a Youtube Channel and deals with a lot of retro gear like older music systems and DVD Players, you can contact him once and check. I haven't bought anything from him ever though and neither know him. If you want I can PM you the YT Channel name.
I might get the dvd player tomorrow as I have had talks with few people over olx and I believe I can get one in 1k or even less.. The thing is I hate going out and meeting random people even if it's a gret deal... But as this is I my head from past few days so I have to relieve the it itch

What say you guys???
to be honest, I really do not get what you are trying to achieve at all. If i wanted to play CD's in the bedroom, I would have gone for a second hand music system- I personally use a JVC FS 7000.
You say you want convenience yet you have decided to go for a separate Disc player + amp.
If i wanted to maximize convenience i would just play the album on spotify or your streaming app of choice and connect it via bluetooth.

Using your phone and bluetooth will give you the sound quality without the inconvenience. Using the Disc player as a pure transport + a 5K DAC will give you decent SQ. Using RCA out of an entry level DVD player as a source is imo the worst of both worlds - you get the inconvenience of a physical medium, and the crappy sound quality of a compressed source because you are using a crappy dac using resampled audio. with this system I really do not see any point.

to be honest, I really do not get what you are trying to achieve at all. If i wanted to play CD's in the bedroom, I would have gone for a second hand music system- I personally use a JVC FS 7000.
You say you want convenience yet you have decided to go for a separate Disc player + amp.
If i wanted to maximize convenience i would just play the album on spotify or your streaming app of choice and connect it via bluetooth.

Using your phone and bluetooth will give you the sound quality without the inconvenience. Using the Disc player as a pure transport + a 5K DAC will give you decent SQ. Using RCA out of an entry level DVD player as a source is imo the worst of both worlds - you get the inconvenience of a physical medium, and the crappy sound quality of a compressed source because you are using a crappy dac using resampled audio. with this system I really do not see any point.
Right, first thing is that I have a lot of audio Cds, mp3 in storage, I don't think I ll ever give them away so I just wish to have something to play them even if it's once a month or so.

Music system is fine and I can have it as I had multiple in the past but they are cumbersome for storage and placement purposes.. But I can still buy as I love those mini HiFi component systems (buying is no issue as long as they fit the budget that I ear mark)
About streaming, well everything can be streamed... But I actually wish to listen how a compact disc would perform with the fosi...
Secondly a lot of stuff on streaming platforms has been added via PIRATED SOURCES (which is surprising, I am going to compile a list of these and lodge a compliant with Spotify) ..
Have you tried listening to some indian classical renditions and hear a echoing voice either at the beginning or the end of tracks which says... SPECIAL EFFECTS, NO ONE SERVES YOU MORE...
I just hate it, just the other day I was listening to Kishori Amonkar and bam twice I heard this..

As far as the rca to rca is concerned, I agree there would be loss and hence I curse the development and innovation path in audio tech that has killed the choices for the budget music enthusiasts, not everyone can buy audio equipments in speakers, amps, preamp, dacs, turntables, cd transporters, cables, converters etc amounting to lacs to pursue their hobby of music..
Personally I am on a quest to get something okay sounding at shoestring budget hence trying to land cheapest working stuff...
Might try and get a DAC board online then...

But as You have better knowledge and understanding of these things..so yours as well people like @Black_Hawk , @blr_p 's opinion and suggestions matter a lot.. I ll try and find something that gets me decent of both worlds if not best.

try looking for a a fiio taishan - those things used to be sold for 1k or so - and ASR tested them and found them extremely great at 44.1khz (48K is another story)

Another option is this https://www.amazon.in/AmazonBasics-Audio-Stereo-Extractor-Converter/dp/B07KRWYN4R/
recommended by ASR https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...amazon-basics-4k-hdmi-extractor-review.39467/

I use it along with an old chromecast HDMI as a chromecast audio plugged into my JVC mini system (I find casting much better than using bluetooth). You can do the same with your DVD player or Chromecast. Setting it up is a bit clunky, but once its up and running casting is so easy

Here's a pic of my bedroom setup btw. This is before I connected the Chromecast+ audio splitter. I'm using an fx audio Bluetooth receiver and tube buffer
PXL_20220325_044245969.jpg

Last edited:
try looking for a a fiio taishan - those things used to be sold for 1k or so - and ASR tested them and found them extremely great at 44.1khz (48K is another story)

Another option is this https://www.amazon.in/AmazonBasics-Audio-Stereo-Extractor-Converter/dp/B07KRWYN4R/
recommended by ASR https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...amazon-basics-4k-hdmi-extractor-review.39467/

I use it along with an old chromecast HDMI as a chromecast audio plugged into my JVC mini system (I find casting much better than using bluetooth). You can do the same with your DVD player or Chromecast. Setting it up is a bit clunky, but once its up and running casting is so easy
Yes the only bright development was chromecast audio, I have it and it makes the audio reach whole new levels,
I play my music fro Spotify ios app by casting it to my chromecast audio which is connected to fosi and the audio is so wide, so loud and so chipsy crisp really...(using a amazon basic 3 5mm to rca cable)
Had bought it all those years ago just coz it has a dedicated DAC in it which works so great..
I ll definitely look into the shared links..
Thanks a bunch

I love that blue eyed boy there in your JVC..

Last edited:
Again, a +1 for the FiiO E03K Taishan Digital to Analog Converter. I bought one because I wanted to use my old PS3 as a CDT and it did the job very well. It has both Optical and Coax Inputs and a RCA Line Out. A small device and works like a charm. I got it for 1.9k from Amazon India in Jan' 2022. If you can come across this under 2k just get one because it's a great thing to have and will come in handy at some point or the other in your audio chain.

These days I'm also streaming mostly and my Spotify only setup consists of the following:

iPad (Spotify) > Auris BluMe HD Bluetooth Music Receiver > Marantz PM6006 >Mission LXIII MKII Speakers.

I find this to be working very well for me and Marantz sound quality is something that I have always had a weakness for...

IMG_20230825_185419.jpg

Nice
I ll keep an eye out indeed, as the sales are coming now
Let me see if I can land a sort of proper audio cd player
Or a dedicated Sony az2d or az5d machine , they were tuned very well for crystal clear music.. Though I realised that much later owing to bad acoustics at my previous room..

Nice
I ll keep an eye out indeed, as the sales are coming now
Let me see if I can land a sort of proper audio cd player
Or a dedicated Sony az2d or az5d machine , they were tuned very well for crystal clear music.. Though I realised that much later owing to bad acoustics at my previous room..

If you want to splurge and get a proper CDP then check these options (prices are stiff!):

Hifimart - CD Players and Transports

OTOH, since you still do like the sound signature of the Sony AZ2D then do keep an eye out for a working unit and get it if it pops up in your radar. If you find them on OLX only pick them up if they are local and you can go and see the system before buying it. Problem is with these older music systems from the 90's or early 00's is mostly the CD and Tape sections are dead by now making them kind of redundant unless you want to listen to music via the AUX port or if you use the Tuner section for listening to FM.

I still have this old Sony FH-E705C from early 1990's:

IMG_20220504_121216.jpg

The Tape and Tuner section still run flawlessly but the CD section does not due to a niggle in the tray opening mechanism.

I love the remote controller for it:

IMG_20220504_125217.jpg

^^ For the ones who grew up with music systems know how painstakingly detailed the companies went in making these remotes extra bit detailed and complex!

Also, besides Sony try and see if you can get older systems from Technics or Kenwood. Those sound even better IMO.

I do happen to have a pair of Kenwood 3-way speakers and they do sound good:

IMG_20220503_1325422.jpg

You'll get these 3-way type speakers with the older Kenwood stack music systems. Again, main concern is if they will have the CD rack working or not.

Attachments

• IMG_20220503_132542.jpg
    IMG_20220503_132542.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 50
Nice, very nice
Only if I was smart enough and not that busy back in the day,
I didn't know crap about acoustics and placements.. That made even the 250rms sony system sound so pathetic..
But a good news I am getting a az2d as well as az33d... Locally but one is 20km away and other is 45...

Az2d is coming cheaper though.. Only plus in 33d is that it has usb which i dont think is of any use to. Me... Wattage same, functions same

What say you az2d or az33d????

Thanks

Nice, very nice
Only if I was smart enough and not that busy back in the day,
I didn't know crap about acoustics and placements.. That made even the 250rms sony system sound so pathetic..
But a good news I am getting a az2d as well as az33d... Locally but one is 20km away and other is 45...

Az2d is coming cheaper though.. Only plus in 33d is that it has usb which i dont think is of any use to. Me... Wattage same, functions same

What say you az2d or az33d????

Thanks

My suggestion is just get the AZ2D and be done. That USB port functionality is kind of pointless now because I doubt you will connect a pen drive and play lower quality MP3 files anymore. I think your primary goal was to establish a platform on which you could play your old collection of ACDs and getting another AZ2D will do that. Furthermore it also ticks the nostalgia box!

Did you search for any other music system besides the AZ2D/ 3D? Also, do make sure the CD mechanism works 100% in the unit you will buy.

Back