WTB Standalone CD/DVD player or a working old hifi system with Remote, with or without USB

My suggestion is just get the AZ2D and be done. That USB port functionality is kind of pointless now because I doubt you will connect a pen drive and play lower quality MP3 files anymore. I think your primary goal was to establish a platform on which you could play your old collection of ACDs and getting another AZ2D will do that. Furthermore it also ticks the nostalgia box!

Did you search for any other music system besides the AZ2D/ 3D? Also, do make sure the CD mechanism works 100% in the unit you will buy.
Tbh, whatever is available it's via olx if I remember correctly AZ was the last series by Sony (I may be wrong but there is no way to ascertain) it had a new s series amplifier and a persistent issue of it taking longer to sense the cds
There are utterly few fully functional ones out there this one is from a household and acc to them they have the remote and all functions working well...
I ll be going myself this weekend to meet them and check everything, will carry all kinds of cds except the RW ones to check the functioning...
The only hitch is it's pretty big in terms of height and adjusting it in the existing furniture setip would be a big challenge.

As soon as I had seen that Jvc mini monster
That belongs to @greenhorn I was so impressed by its size and no nonsense design..
PXL_20220325_044245969.jpg

But searching, zeroing on an utterly compact one and then meeting people & all would make the process too slow too time consuming..
Still let's see how this shapes up

Tbh, whatever is available it's via olx if I remember correctly AZ was the last series by Sony (I may be wrong but there is no way to ascertain) it had a new s series amplifier and a persistent issue of it taking longer to sense the cds
There are utterly few fully functional ones out there this one is from a household and acc to them they have the remote and all functions working well...
I ll be going myself this weekend to meet them and check everything, will carry all kinds of cds except the RW ones to check the functioning...
The only hitch is it's pretty big in terms of height and adjusting it in the existing furniture setip would be a big challenge.

As soon as I had seen that Jvc mini monster
That belongs to @greenhorn I was so impressed by its size and no nonsense design..
View attachment 177145

But searching, zeroing on an utterly compact one and then meeting people & all would make the process too slow too time consuming..
Still let's see how this shapes up

I agree... that JVC system is lovely and compact. Perfect for a desk. It's really sad that these systems have completely vanished now and aren't available in shops any longer. With the phasing out of Cassettes, ACDs, DVDs they finally became obsolete. I miss them quite a bit even though I now have better audio gear to listen to. It's the sheer nostalgia that associates itself to such vintage equipment that make them all the more special.

OLX or certain sellers on Youtube deal in the used units and that is all it seems.

See if you can come across a Sony CMT-DX400 system. It is compact and neat like the JVC @greenhorn posted.

Ha the JVC looks nice, but has puny bass. Worse than my Bose soundlink mini 2 which you can see. I bought it because it's a cool toy - has a motorized door and volume control
But highs and mids are very nice, and it has a sub out which I use to drive my car sub which I am using as a footrest as it has been retired from my car since I needed the boot space and put in an underseat one. Along with an aiyima mono amp, it really blows full sized stereo speakers out of the water while taking up only a small footprint on the desk.
PXL_20220306_125043431.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
https://www.olx.in/item/jvc-dvd-receiver-iid-1728122895
if you know anyone in chennai - this one has the wood cone speakers which are very highly rated (mine are regular paper)
15K is way too high though. i wouldnt pay more than 8k. but the speakers are extremely well made - proper wood enclosures, with bevelled edges, real wood veneer, metal grille posts - sony etc build quality is several levels less
Those are great looking ones Indeed
Dunno anyone in Chennai... But dropping a mesage to the seller to test the waters..

Btw what's your view about this
@Black_Hawk
This Looks good and quirky and entirely different design.. Around 8 inches in height...
The only issue is it doesn't have RCA or any other sort of audio out... Just a headphone out...
Can that be used to feed audio to fosi or any other amp for that matter... Would the signal strength have enough to throw all the frequencies??????

I have couple of guys one has a az2d and the other has this SLK20D... Take your pick...

Last edited:
another slightly jugaad but meets your requirement - solution.
Get a used car CD player, Ideally an alpine. They are compact, have good transports, good DAC's, and good amps (good for a honest 15WPC RMS), are remote controlled, have aux in and out. You are just a 12V 5A psu and a set of speakers away from a compact but high quality stereo - I see older models go for 1-2k on olx
Put it in a fancy wood case and you are up and running

how much do you think you can get them for? the sony's
The SLK 20D has a vertically loading CD slot which is poor design IMO - having opened up quite a few used indian electronics off olx, its probably already full of dirt !

Last edited:
@greenhorn
I think I can get them for 5k each
Edit might not..both might settle anywhere around 6 to 7 l i believe

Last edited:
Those are great looking ones Indeed
Dunno anyone in Chennai... But dropping a mesage to the seller to test the waters..

Btw what's your view about this
@Black_Hawk
This Looks good and quirky and entirely different design.. Around 8 inches in height...
The only issue is it doesn't have RCA or any other sort of audio out... Just a headphone out...
Can that be used to feed audio to fosi or any other amp for that matter... Would the signal strength have enough to throw all the frequencies??????

I have couple of guys one has a az2d and the other has this SLK20D... Take your pick...

I have only once tried using the front headphone audio out port from my old National Boombox (RX-CW55L) to connect a set of 2.0 powered bookshelf speakers in the past. The audio output was not good at all. It lacked bass and sounded measly and weak. Vocals were too soft as well.

My vote still stays with the Sony AZ2D unless you want to go the DIY way as @greenhorn suggested in his post above with the car CDP and speakers. Could end up taking time but will be a fun project to do.

P.S. If you don't mind telling us, at what price are you getting the Sony AZ2D? Is it an used unit or new but open box unit?

another slightly jugaad but meets your requirement - solution.
Get a used car CD player, Ideally an alpine. They are compact, have good transports, good DAC's, and good amps (good for a honest 15WPC RMS), are remote controlled, have aux in and out. You are just a 12V 5A psu and a set of speakers away from a compact but high quality stereo - I see older models go for 1-2k on olx
Put it in a fancy wood case and you are up and running

how much do you think you can get them for? the sony's
The SLK 20D has a vertically loading CD slot which is poor design IMO - having opened up quite a few used indian electronics off olx, its probably already full of dirt !
Yeah somehow decent car systems work wonderfully well... I have a pioneer cd player and it sounds so awesome
But I might not be able to do that much jugaad for now.. But I am gonna keep it in my to do DIY thingy for sure..
I have only once tried using the front headphone audio out port from my old National Boombox (RX-CW55L) to connect a set of 2.0 powered bookshelf speakers in the past. The audio output was not good at all. It lacked bass and sounded measly and weak. Vocals were too soft as well.

My vote still stays with the Sony AZ2D unless you want to go the DIY way as @greenhorn suggested in his post above with the car CDP and speakers. Could end up taking time but will be a fun project to do.

P.S. If you don't mind telling us, at what price are you getting the Sony AZ2D? Is it an used unit or new but open box unit?
I might be able to land the az2d in around seven thousand or there about.. Acc to seller completely working and in pristine condition and with Remote and all.

I might be able to land the az2d in around seven thousand or there about.. Acc to seller completely working and in pristine condition and with Remote and all.
I don't buy the mint/pristine argument. At a bare minimum it might need a belts and pinch rollers and worst case idlers. The rubber bits don't age well. Having said that I would go for the az2d because of the bigger speakers and better bass, and the cool display. The tape section is a minus for me because it probably won't work, and even if it did, it would be a lot worse than most of my tape Decks.

I thought you'd be on the side of the slk 20d, it being very compact and all

Yes, I ll be going personally to check it instead of sending the office boy...
Will carry dvds, cds, mp3 tapes etc

I would have gone for the slk20d but the lack of line out or any other kind of out sockets is a dampener... The guy who is selling it is an educated guy who has taken care of it totally...
You were right in saying that it has a top. Loading cd socket as well as usb socket so with amount of dust and moisture in Delhi is a bad combination.

Though I already have a pair of az2d speakers but I love their looks and can place the pair in my other bed room with a compact class d... Az2d is has all the out sockets and touch panel which protects all the buttons from dust..

Yes placing it would be an issue but I ll think of something

Also have been quoted 4k for a cmt-cx400 I like it's compact look but again it doesn't have any audio out options... This one is also working properly

Headphone out is enough honestly. I think you've had a bad experience once, but generally headphone outs are good enough. If you want to add something like a sub, get one with speaker level inputs or a hi-lo converter

That's a dangerous path you're going down...
That's how I got one of these too

And now I have a room full of hifi junk in my house and no space to use them :D
No turning back now mate, whosoever went that path got lost in the hifi......

Still no worries, I ll get a gang together and will raid your hideout someday/somenight and will rid you off of some of those transparent cd player (don't they look amazing)

Edit:
What a f*cked up day...
Drovr around 25km to get the az2d, an elderly gentlemen showed me the system.. Despite my asking many times if all functions are ok.. He and his family said yes all good and pristine..
The damn thing wasn't accepting cd, it wasn't playing tape,...
I was so furious if his son or daughter was there I would have given them proper show down...

Another crap happened, I had asked for the replacement of my fosi owing to the wiggle in volume knob, it was bothering me.. The replacement came and it just doesn't sound like the previous one...

The shiitiest thing is that It can only be returned now no replacement...

What a day man...

Last edited:
The volume knob wiggle is probably because the bolt is loose. If you remove the knob you can see a bolt. Just tighten it and you should be good to go
Yeah I could have tried but I thought If I can get a replacement then why not, so my old one was picked and a new one was delivered and the new one f*cked my already shitty day further.. This one just doesn't sound as wide as the first one and the higher frequencies aren't good at all..
Believe me I am pissed as hell...

Edit : 04-09-23 11:44am
So what should I do @greenhorn & @Black_Hawk
The fosi has to go back and buying another is not possible as the price has been increased to 11k now.. (It will come down in next few days of not weeks)

Should I get the sony SLK20 for now as its compact, looks quirky and would loon nice I living room as well... and the seller confirms with video that its working well...

If you guys permit (the usage of headphone jack as line out) then it can be later used as a standalone cd player via headphone port as a line out or I can try one of those Line output converters as they use with car audio via connecting it to speaker out and then converting that to line out rca.. (might not come to that as connecting chromecast audio via line in would enhance its audio quality considerably, atleast I feel that..)
But whatever It should ideally be picked today as the gentleman night not wait for that long to dispose

As long as Proper Amp goes, I ll have to wait either till the price of fosi bt20a pro cones back down or I can buy some other similar and may be more robust amp, but has to be around that 7k 8k mark brand new no matter what...

Kindly share opinion at the earliest as per your convenience and schedule...
Thanks

Last edited:
Back