Star Citizen - Discussion Thread

That's a pretty slick website.

There's a new trailer out for Braben's game too. He must be so jealous of CR raising 20 million dollars and getting so much widespread attention :p

I will definately buy Elite at some point but for me personally, its a very different kind of game compared to SC.

Granted this is early footage but even here, the ship weapons feel really weak and uninspiring.

BTW, you can see more Elite ships here -

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Ships

Apart from a couple of them which are decent (some designs remind me of modified T-47's from SW-TESB), I don't really find any ship that is "inspiring" in the sense that there's nothing in Elite that makes me WANT to play it just to unlock a specific ship - like the Connie in SC...

Another crowd funding record set. $29 million hit, possible $30 mill in the next 24 hours.
Guys, this game is something SPECIAL. If you haven't already, please consider having a look.

And Spin, if you're reading this, X-Rebirth is a bug ridden mess at launch. Not just crashes but serious problems running even on high end PC's. From Shack -

"Curiously Lehahn says high-end PCs are suffering some of the worst performance, and that he's witnessed the game running as badly on a hefty gaming PC running as it did on a laptop with onboard graphics."

That's really shocking.

I hear BF4 has its fair share of crashes, instability etc. but then this has always been the case with earlier BF games as well.

Disappointing to note that this seems to have become the norm with new game releases of late...

Last edited:
Yea I've been playing BF4 and it is indeed quite broken. When it works, the game is extremely fun but when it doesn't it just gets your blood pressure up. And it's not just isolated to BF4. Pretty much every PC port in the last 4 months or so has been broken or unoptimized and just lazily pushed out the door.

Also heard about X-Rebirth and it's a shame it's as broken as it is. Relegated to a sale purchase after they fix it.

I ended up melting my 300i, converting it into an Aurora package and gifting it to a friend. Couldn't really see any reason to have more than 1 ship to start off with so this way at least someone else gets to play Star Citizen.

100 Idris Corvettes sold out in under 60 seconds. My friend wanted to buy one... added to his cart and by the time he could complete the transaction, they were gone. Each costs $1250.

This is madness.

Well in two days SC has gone from $29 mill to almost $32 mill. Thats $3 mill in TWO days. That's more than most crowd funded games would wish for during their entire funding period.

Another interesting stat Spin. Total funds raised so far $31,850,479, total citizens 314,468. Do the math and note the "average price pledged" per citizen! :)

Also see this if you haven't already -

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46095085/The BIG Star Citizen Admirer's Manual.pdf

I think you will find it an interesting read...

PS-PLEASE DON'T SELL/MELT YOUR FLEET OF 4 IDRIS'S!!!

They've crossed 33 million, including 1.5 million in the last 24 hours. Insane. My friend was unable to buy the Idris sadly. Really wanted to be able to walk around in that ship on day 1. Ah well, it'll be interesting to see what happens to the pledge rate after LTI is gone.

They just uploaded this video -

Last edited:
Did you check out the .PDF I linked above?
Three more vids added in the hope that more TE users will give SC a look. :)
Designing the HUD
Weapons Test Rig
Orchestral Recording Session

Last edited:
I still dont understand people spending over 100$ on a game.
Being a MMO, i would love to go neck deep into this, but the price is holding me back.
And the fact that by the time this releases i will be neck deep into ESO or WildStar.

@krugur
No no no no - please don't misinterpret my above post!!! :confused:

You do NOT need to spend a $100 on the game. That's just what the current "average" works out to based on the fact that some people have spent hundreds/thousands of dollars buying ships.

I have the lowest tier, standard, starter ship that I bought for some $35 odd dollars. You can get a similar one for near about the same price.

Most of the ships (including the kick ass ones) can be "earned" in game with zero real $$'s. Will this involve grinding? To some extent yes, but (hopefully) it won't feel like grinding. So please don't let the price hold you back because that's the worst possible reason not to get into SC.

With that in mind, here are some options for you to consider -

Option 1- $40 - Aurora MR+ (basic starter ship, similar to the one I have)
It all starts here, with your very own spacecraft. Blast off from your home planet into a vast galaxy of endless possibilities for adventure. Whether you’re fending off deadly Vanduul on the frontier or raiding hapless convoys in human space, you can get your start with your very own RSI Aurora spacecraft.
Package contains -
-Aurora MR+ ship
-Hangar
-Starting Money: 1,000 UEC
-3 Month Insurance
-Digital Star Citizen Manual
-Squadron 42 Digital Download
-Star Citizen Digital Download
-Alpha Access
-Beta Access
Link - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/store/316-aurora-mr

Option 2- $45 - Aurora LN
(advanced ver of the above ship)
The 2944 “Legionnaire” model of the tried-and-true Aurora spacecraft is here! The Legionnaire is the roughest, toughest Aurora yet, capable of mixing it up with skilled dogfighters or safely carrying a pilot to the edge of the known universe. The most trusted line in spacecraft just got better.

Apart from offering a more "advanced" version of the Aurora MR+, this package contains all the extra items the Aurora MR+ package has.
Link - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/store/318-aurora-ln

Pick either of the above packages and you get a decent ship, the Squadron 42 SP campaign and access to the Alpha & Beta releases apart from the main PU part of the game.

Official Aurora Brochure - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/store/316-aurora-mr
Official Aurora Commercial

Join the club Krugur. Trust me, you will get more than your moneys worth.

PS - Whatever you do, do NOT ask Spindoctor for help in buying a new ship.
If you do, he will just melt another one of his 4 remaining "Idris" corvettes and gift you a ship instead. :arghh:

We need all the remaining Idris's (and other ships) he has or the "Spinmeister Guild" will fall apart...

Last edited:
I still dont understand people spending over 100$ on a game.
Being a MMO, i would love to go neck deep into this, but the price is holding me back.
And the fact that by the time this releases i will be neck deep into ESO or WildStar.

Heh, people splurge on all sorts of things. Last month a Dota 2 courier sold for $38,000, one of the biggest virtual item sale ever. Unfortunately for the buyer, Valve completely changed the itemization next week with a patch, reducing the value of that courier to sub $1000 range. I too was surprised while reading about the ship costs, then I looked at Dota 2 items and it made sense :)

@Rickyk It's F2P isn't it? How much fun would you say the "Free" part gonna be at launch? It would be pretty boring for F2P players if everyone blasted them around in their $1000 ships. I love this genre, but I have no plans on spending money until I have played it for a while, and these ship sales are not inspiring much confidence in would be new players like me.

No, its not F2P.
You do have to buy a base game package (I linked the two cheapest options above) that includes a starter ship.
It is however free thereafter, regardless of whether you choose to -
  1. Play just the SP Campaign (called Squadron 42)
  2. Play on the PU servers (the MMO part) for free - there are no sub charges
  3. Play on your own privately hosted server (free - no charge) either alone, with friends or with random players depending on what rules you set for your private server
As for your other question, its not P2W either. You won't have players with $1000 ships blasting players with $35 ships for several reasons. Firstly, because of how "instancing" is going to work and secondly because there is no "best" ship. Every ship has its plus and minus points.

The $1000 ship versus the $35 ship is an extreme example but its like an elephant trying to swat a mosquito. Just because the elephant weighs tonnes and is huge doesn't automatically imply it can kill a mosquito which is far more nimble. Or think Star Wars and the Trench Run. The Death Star was a hugely powerful weapon but all it took was a tiny snub fighter to take it out.

Similarly, there are smaller ships (ie. Bombers) that can cause SERIOUS damage to large ships. Also note that the larger the ship, the more the players you need to man the various stations. Yes, AI can do it for you but humans always have that extra edge.

Plus, there's the "boarding" option where even large ships can be attacked by smaller ships, disabled and then boarded pirate style. At that point, the game shifts into First Person Mode (YES THERE IS A FPS MODE FOR YOU "FPS FANS" as this is the Crytek Engine remember? :p ) for the players that are boarding and the players defending the ship. If you succeed in overpowering the defenders, the ship becomes yours! Endless possibilities. Hope you get what I mean.

To anyone curious about SC, PLEASE consider a quick read through the .PDF file I linked a couple of posts above. It will give you a very good idea of what the game is about. It wont take more than 10-15 minutes of your time and you just might find it's actually a game you might be interested in...

Last edited:
Ah, thanks a lot. That cleared up the confusion. This is one of the most successful crowdfunding endeavors ever. Let's see how it pans out.

This is one of the most successful crowdfunding endeavors ever. Let's see how it pans out.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but this isn't just 'one of the most successful crowdfunding endeavors'... it's the most successful crowdfunding endeavor ever :p It has beaten out everything else by tens of millions of dollars. At the very least, that's reason enough to look into the project and see why people are paying so much money to this studio. This is the game some folks have been waiting for and dreaming about since childhood.

Hmm ... you guys do make some valid points and videos are always compelling :p. Maybe i will make it a christmas gift to myself ;)

New message today from Chris Roberts. Bold'ed some parts for those of you who feel TL;DR :p

Over this past year, I’ve constantly been amazed at the enthusiasm and support we received. The monetary side, while headline grabbing, is only one component. I’m amazed at the participation of a growing community; the ideas, the debates, the fan fiction and art, the gifts for the team, the growing number of groups and alliances, the friends made and the sheer investment every one of you have in the universe of Star Citizen. The energy and excitement of the community has been the biggest surprise and the most rewarding part of building a game this way. After experiencing this, I don’t know how I could ever go back to the old way of making games.

As the community has grown and as our total funds raised for development has escalated beyond all expectation, we’ve become higher profile in the general gaming press.

Some of the increased visibility is good. People are waking up to the fact that Space Sims and PCs are not a dead genre or platform, people are seeing the benefits of involving your community early and sharing your work and gamers are realizing the power they have to choose what they want to play rather than accept predictable sequels offered by big publishers wanting to play it safe.

But this extra visibility has also brought the inevitable doubters or people that just hate to see something out of the ordinary succeed. “It’s a scam!” “It can’t live up the hype!” “I’ll laugh when it fails and everyone is disappointed!”

With the headlines will come inevitable haters. They can’t comprehend why a game like Star Citizen could capture the imagination, why so many people would enthusiastically support something long before it’s a sure thing. Sometimes I wonder this myself.

But when I think about it, one answer comes to me.

We’re all following a dream with Star Citizen.

That’s because Star Citizen isn’t a game in a normal sense of the word. It’s not a finite experience that you will play for a week and put down. Star Citizen is the promise of endless adventure in the openness of space. We all don’t have the same exact dream. Some of us want to explore uncharted stars, some of us want to build a trading empire, some of us want to make our name as a fearless bounty hunter or mercenary or some want to pray on easy targets as a notorious pirate. The spaceship sitting in our hangars represents that promise of adventure, the ability to blast off into space to make our fortune and a name for ourselves. We all in some way are following our childhood dreams when we looked up to the stars and wondered what it would be like traveling among them.

This dream drives everyone at CIG and I’m pretty sure it’s why so many of you have embraced Star Citizen with such enthusiasm.

We are not building Star Citizen to turn a quick profit, or satisfy shareholders at some big Publisher, we’re building Star Citizen because we want to make this dream a reality. One that you are helping become a reality with your incredible support. People may say how can you do all this? How can you build such a wildly ambitious game?

We’re in this for the long run. Because of your incredible support, we are already the biggest budgeted Space Sim in history, giving us the freedom to hire the best of the best and to take the time to do things right. However I’m not foolish enough to think everything will always go perfectly on Star Citizen. We will occasionally stumble. Not everything will go according to plan. And we definitely won’t be able to build a game that matches everyone’s personal vision of the game. That’s impossible with so many people!

But I’m confident that with this team and the support of everyone in the growing Star Citizen community we will deliver a game that will make the majority of you happy and create a universe that all of us will spend many years to come creating our own stories. A universe that will never be static, but always improving and expanding. I am more committed to this than ever and the team and I won’t be satisfied with anything less.

So today, the team and I give thanks to all of you for being such an amazing community and giving us your trust. We won’t let you down!
— Chris Roberts

This one is going to be extremely tricky.

I know first hand what waiting for the promised Sim-land then being let down time after time means. I follow racing sims where the scope isn't that large and still it's nothing but disappointments with 1 almost-perfect sim being played for decades simply because there's nothing better.

I imagine that problem being magnified a 100 times in a space-sim with the scope that SC has promised.
If it fails, back to Freespace because there's nothing else.

Also after having sold ships to players for $1000 each, how will they justify normal players getting access to the same content in a reasonable time frame that feels fast enough for the basic player but not fast enough to piss off someone who paid $1000?
This can quickly crash and burn into an enormous Pay2Win disaster. One for the history books with a nearly 20 million dollar Kickstarter.

Btw Ricky, how 'sim-ey' will this be? Full on Falcon 4.0 grade where you have to have the best HOTAS setup and a double PhD or will it be like Freespace where a mouse setup works just as well?
I can only support 1 expensive hobby :(.

Haha I remember Falcon 4.0. Friend gave it to me, installed it, tried to take off for 10 mins, couldn't. The figured out how to lock and fire a missile, somehow managed to start a mission mid air, blew up a friendly wingman and promptly crashed to ground while trying to engage an enemy. Then I saw the 400 page manual and said fck it, uninstalled.

On topic, I doubt it will be very "sim-ey", maybe a middle ground between HAWX and Falcon.

Back