Linux Stop saying that the linux desktop looks bad!!!

Yes, hopefully ATI will also start coming out with better drivers.

AIGLX is also built into Xorg now. In Ubuntu Edgy, AIGLX is enabled by default. There's nothing needed to be done from the user's end.

Yeah, but AIGLX has problems with many vid cards (especially the Radeons). That is why I first went with XGL. Plus Compiz is default for XGL (I know you can use it with AIGLX too).

Well I am using AIGLX on an Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy live cd and I must say it is fast, it works well on my modest hardware with all the effects :hap2:

Transparent window moving and fades is all that I am interested in and I must say that AIGLX handles it better and faster than X Composite with XAA rendering.

here are some screenshots from my desktop

new ringswitcher is cool

1.this is direct screenshot of desktop

2. This is the famous cube

3. The new ultracool ringswitcher

i am using

Kubuntu 6.10 edgy eft, nVIDIA 6600gt, and beryl 0.2

Maybe, my point was simply that the Mac UI, which is supposedly the paragon of UIs, can be replicated on Linux. Beryl and Compiz kick Mac ass in my opinion.

I just installed fc6 64 bit, while a bit of a pain in the butt to install, it is most definitely worth it. The 64 bit version is far more responsive than the 32, and nvidia drivers have great support through Livna.org and this repo can be added during install. Installing drivers is somewhat trickier for 64 bit, and getting dependencies to work is a little harder.

I have an nvidia 8800 working smoothly with Beryl, with a triple boot XP/VISTA/FC6 booting from a single Grub boot menu with no 2ndary boot menus. I boot straight into either Vista or Xp, with no Vista bootloader.. a slick but tricky thing to accomplish.

And while many of you say that it is not for noobs, I taught myself how to do this by simply taking the time to look for help on the web. Of course we are all noobs at some time, but the only way to become a non-noob is to learn by example. There is a tremendous amount of information out there for all of the more commonly used distro's, and everyone has their favorite. For a lot of Linux users, there is a sense of accomplishment from achieving the intended results.

The bottom line is that the OS is just like the software.. it is a tool with a means to an end result. I think it is useful to be familiar with multiple OS's, no matter your favorite, many jobs require that you are fluent in more than one.

Personally I love Linux , and if given the ability to do so (software restrictions) I would dump microsoft in a heartbeat.

Oh... and Beryl looks way better than Aero without having the need for a super video card ;) it looked just great with my old 6600 AGP 8

ArtfulDodger said:
I have an nvidia 8800 working smoothly with Beryl, with a triple boot XP/VISTA/FC6 booting from a single Grub boot menu with no 2ndary boot menus. I boot straight into either Vista or Xp, with no Vista bootloader.. a slick but tricky thing to accomplish.

Oh... and Beryl looks way better than Aero without having the need for a super video card ;) it looked just great with my old 6600 AGP 8

Would you mind writing a tutorial on enabling beryl on FC6 and the triple boot thing.

I'd be happy to... give me a little time to get it together in detail ;)

but here is quick synopsis though...

If you already have Vista and xp installed, it is a little tricky, I will go into more detail in a guide later.

1stly Install xp, and then hide the partition

This is so vista installs the boot files on it's own partition, not on the xp partition.

2ndly Install Vista on it's own partition

3rd.. unhide xp partiton

4th install Linux, and edit grub.conf an add 2 entries, one for the xp partition, and one for the vista partition... You can usually also do this during the grub installation while installing Linux.

You should then be able to boot into any of the operating systems independently... especially because Vista will not add xp to the boot menu, it will boot directly to vista ... no menu ;)

This is the only method I have found that uses a single boot menu for all 3 operating systems. While there is a way of saving the grub mbr and loading from boot.ini, you still have to go through 2 boot menus to use it.

There are many disk partition boot disk utilities to be found... I believe someone mentioned gparted earlier and also Acronis Disk director can make a bootable Acronis disk director cd. Gparted has a livecd which is fully bootable.. I have used this myself and it is great.
When Xp is installed, boot into a bootable disk partition manager ... for example ...gparted livecd or Acronis, select XP partition and hide it, I'm not sure offhand where to select this option, but I would imagine it is not too hard to find :)

Here is an example of how to setup

1. install Xp... but during install process create 2 primary NTFS partitions, and install XP on the 2nd one.

2. Boot in to disk manager disk as mentioned above, and hide xp partition.

3. Install Vista on 1st partition

4. unhide xp partition

5. Install Linux last and add Vista and XP to grub.conf
(If you are installing Fedora... When you are installing Grub (make sure you check mark box to view Grub advanced settings before installing it), and you get to the stage where you can choose default OS to boot, there is an entry for "Other" if you click on this and edit it, you should find the correct settings for booting to 1st partition (for Linux this is actually partition 0) on hd0, just copy this and paste it and change partition to 2nd partition (for Linux it is actually called partition 1). 1st partition you can rename entry to Vista, and 2nd partition you can rename entry to XP.)

partitions.jpg

Back