Suggest a good digicam in 10-15k range

^i'm looking for something a tad better than the A720is...i'm learning digital photography as a hobby and i want something better than a point n shoot cam..:) N though i know, the A720is has lots of manual exposure controls, i'm still looking for a digi tht does a bit better at higher ISOs....:)

So, i have picked up Canon S3 IS, SX100 IS and S5 IS from the list..Also, the Fujifilm Finepix S8000 FD has got very good ratings at review sites... So i have to choose one among these...:)

Any help wud be highly appreciated....:)

^ A friend of mine was telling me he got a quote of 14.5k ( i think) for the S5 IS somewhere in delhi. You should be able to get a similar rate.

Ank1t said:
^ A friend of mine was telling me he got a quote of 14.5k ( i think) for the S5 IS somewhere in delhi. You should be able to get a similar rate.

Wow!! then tht wud be the best option...can u confirm the same with ur friend, please?:)

v1gnesh said:
did you read this post :ashamed:

i guess his cam is <5 months old..

Errr...i wud prefer a new piece...:ashamed:

Also, can ne1 tell me what else is the difference between the S3 IS and S5 IS apart from the digic 2 : digic III image processor and the 6 : 8 mp ccd ?

Is the S3 still a good buy or shud i go for the S5 only?

Also, has ne1 had any problems with the rotating lcd of the S3 or the S5...i'm not too very positive about these rotating displays...sooner or later they develop some kinda loose conection and the display goes kaput..:no: Has ne1 faced such a problem? :S

Heh he's travelling right now.. will be back in town in about a week i guess. He'l be going to delhi in a couple of days too to pick up that camera. Will know exact price then :)

^Alright..:)

But i really wanna know if its worth to pay 3-4k more for the S5 IS..i mean, is it worth the premium? I have no issues with 6mp ccd of the S3 as it is more than sufficient for my photographic needs..:p I've been to some review sites and they say tht apart from the 8mp ccd(versus 6 mp of s3) and the digic 3 (versus digic 2) and maybe a smaller LCD display, there isnt much differentiating the S3 from the S5. Also the S5 seems to consume more power due to the bigger LCD and tht the noise is more apparent at higher ISOs due to the higher resolution CCD of the S5.. is tht true?

So is it wiser to get the S3 instead of the S5? Or is the Digic 3 worth the extra investment..i dont really care for the lcd size..:p pic quality is what matters..:p

"Also, can ne1 tell me what else is the difference between the S3 IS and S5 IS apart from the digic 2 : digic III image processor and the 6 : 8 mp ccd ?"

* Higher resolution sensor (8MP vs 6MP)
* Digic III processor (S3 IS was Digic II)
* Larger, higher resolution LCD screen (2.5 inches vs 2.0 inches)
* Hot shoe flash connector
* Higher top ISO sensitivity (1600 vs 800)
* Increased movie clip limit (was 1.0 GB, now 4.0 GB)
* Couple of new features (including red-eye removal, face detection AF)
* Reduced continuous shooting (burst) speed
* Slightly heavier
from
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons5is/

^Well i read about those differences but of all these only the resolution difference and image processor difference seem to be important changes..:p

Like i said, lcd size doesnt matter, pic quality ofcourse does..:p And tht bigger lcd in S5 is a powerhog..:p

Hot shoe flash is an interesting change, though i doubt i'll ever buy a separate flash evn if i get the S5...:p

The ISOs higher than 400 are pretty useless in both the cams..they add terrible noise to be of any use at all..:p

Extended Movie clip limit is indeed a good change, though i may only be able to buy a 1-2 gb card at the moment...:(

Btw, is the face detection AF really useful? :S

Get the S3.
6MP vs. 8MP on such a small sensor doesn't make a difference.
Face detection - a gimmick.
Stick with the S3..you've enumerated the uselessness of the S5 "upgrades" yourself anyway!
:p

^Hehe..thanks man...:D Tht really helped clear some confusions..:p

Alright, one last thing..can u tell me whr i can get it for 12k with a 1 gig card in bombay? :S And any idea about the price of the S3 IS with bill n warranty? If its a marginal difference then i may evn consider getting one with bill.. :)

@Private Ryan
"And tht bigger lcd in S5 is a powerhog."

Does it matter when we are using Ni Mh which will give 450 snaps per charge?

But as TechHead said, the higher megapixel is not likely to contribute much.

Thanks for the inputs, guys..:) 20k is way beyond my budget...:ashamed: so i guess, i'll have to make do with a grey piece only..:p

Btw, Today, i'd gone to both Heera Panna and MAfsee...Thr is this shop in Heera Panna, 'Sound Electronic'...the guy quoted me 12k for the S3 and 14.4k for the S5...but he said tht it will not include the sandisk 1gb card, for which, i'll have to pay 500 bucks extra...He didnt have the cam at tht time, so he asked me to come on monday..

After tht, i went to Mafsee...but the moron quoted me 13.5 k for the same S3 IS and said tht the price was not negotiable..:no:

So i guess, i'll have to get it from heera panna only..btw, is it okay to get it from thr? IIRC, u bought ur P990i from Heera Panna only, right? If u know any particular shop thr which sells genuine stuff, then pls let me know..btw, by the look of it, this shop, "sound Electronic" looked good to me..:p

^No issues with HP... I live a 9-10 minute walk away from the place anyway. Never had issues.. go with this guy.. you're getting a good price.

BTW, get a 2GB card.. 900 or so..

Back