PC Peripherals Suggest a UPS

i got quote of 7.5k for 1000va apc ups. i think it was Smart-UPS SC 1000VA model.

is quote ok or high?

edit: specs are

Output Power Capacity 600 Watts / 1000 VA

Max Configurable Power 600 Watts / 1000 VA

6pack said:
i got quote of 7.5k for 1000va apc ups. i think it was Smart-UPS SC 1000VA model.
is quote ok or high?

edit: specs are

Output Power Capacity 600 Watts / 1000 VA
Max Configurable Power 600 Watts / 1000 VA

that quote is for a Backup Ups

Eazy said:
Thats a good PRICE !! I paid 4K for it a year back :O

@palito - FWIW I run a Corsair 620w with a APC SmartUPS 750i and have no problems with this or with my old APC BackUPS 800 RS

Sorry for hijacking the thread :p

The Powercom's a good buy ?

6pack said:
:S , i thought ups gives backup power only.
so what type of ups u searching for?

lol ... I think he's trying to say that the quote you got must be for the backup series of ups and not the smart series

Rave said:
yes indeed if you can do without onsite warranty and a flashy interface..

Never bothered about "Onsite" warranty. And how long do you reckon the backup would be for my rig ? - Specs in siggy :ashamed:

jesal said:
most of us have this one wrong. if u are running a 19" lcd with a good rig u cannot use a 650va or something like that. need to get 1kva for that which comes from apc at around 4-5k mininum u need this. i was gettin one as well until i found out and also my dealer told me it wont work for sure.

You r r8. even i have a 650VA single battery UPS to which i have plugged 19"er and system running on 500W CM iGreen PSU. the moment the power goes the ups goes down.

even i am thinking of the Microtek 800VA double battery i think this one should be able to handle it. 800VA sells for 2.2 k and 1KVA model sells for 3.4K.

Ank1t said:
^ that doesnt mean that the PSU is drawing 620 watts of power at any given point of time. It still draws only what is needed which in his case the APC 650VA should suffice. Yea sine wave ones are a bit more expensive but worth it considering your output is also more :)

check this link

it says "A PSU always draws more power out of the socket in your home than it provides to the PC System. The difference is dissipation or heat. To give you an example - when the PC Power & Cooling PSU provides 850 watts to the PC system it needs 1058 watts from your mains. The efficiency is the ratio between Power IN and OUT."

if this is the case then it should draw something similar from the UPS as well. am i correct :(

snake said:
I am not using LCD.It is 19" CRT.My bad I didn't mention it clearly.

then u really need a good UPS.

another thing- i think all UPS give out sine wave output, so dont think there is any specific model for sinewave ups

sunilyo said:
then u really need a good UPS.

another thing- i think all UPS give out sine wave output, so dont think there is any specific model for sinewave ups

all give sine waves, but not all give PURE Sine Waves :D

palito said:
all give sine waves, but not all give PURE Sine Waves :D

:S

i didnt know that, where can i get more info on this.

which is the cheapest model that gives pure sinewave output. me too looking for a UPS for my rig and now i would like to know more on this sinewave thing.

but another question that arises is it really necessary to go for pure sinewave. to be more specific when/under what conditions would one require a pure sinewave UPS.

sunilyo said:
check this link

it says "A PSU always draws more power out of the socket in your home than it provides to the PC System. The difference is dissipation or heat. To give you an example - when the PC Power & Cooling PSU provides 850 watts to the PC system it needs 1058 watts from your mains. The efficiency is the ratio between Power IN and OUT."

if this is the case then it should draw something similar from the UPS as well. am i correct :(

That we all know but taking that into consideration for his rig, i dont think he'l need more than the 650VA. although now that the monitor is a 19" CRT im not sure..

650VA is enough if I dont take 19" CRT into count but I need with it so I m myself confused.

Wats Sinewave fuss about?

palito said:
i have the buzzin problem with my 850VA Back Ups

how much did the APC SmartUPS 750i Cost ?

I have been lucky with my UPS's - never had the buzzing sounds from PSU.

APC SmartUPS was 7825/- from Prime ABGB a couple of weeks back.

@ Freaky - I have used Powercom UPS's for many years - they have always been fine and much cheaper then APC. Only problem with them is the Monitoring Software which is not as classy as the one from APC and it uses a Serial Port interface as against a USB of APC. Other then this the Powercom units are quite OK.

Believe me the onsite warranty of APC is the BEST I have seen - it is worth getting an APC just for their EXCELLENT WARRANTY.

RiO said:
His system will probably draw 400W peak, and the 650VA is capable of handling upto 500W, so where is the issue?

For 500W he will need APC Smart-UPS 750VA which will give a backup of 4.8 minutes @ 500W according to claims of APC APC. If still doubtful, pl visit-
NEW! APC Smart-UPS 750VA USB & Serial 230V

And when arriving at the 400W figure, did you consider the monitor (though LCD) and other peripherals like modem etc?

hey people...can u suggest me a budget n reliable ups? i hav a amd 64 bit 3000+ rig with 1gig ram, and 15" crt. ill be upgrading to a highend gdx card, 22" lcd and a way better psu, atleast 600w. basically i want a sumwat futureproof ups? plz suggest me sum models....

n how is powercom n microtek? shud i go in for a 1kva model? also...the ups shud automatically switch off the machine wen its running on batteries?

Back