PC Peripherals Suggest a UPS

janitha said:
For 500W he will need APC Smart-UPS 750VA which will give a backup of 4.8 minutes @ 500W according to claims of APC APC.

I have timed the backup of my SmartUPS 750va at 19 minutes - that is when it shut down.

The load...
A8N-E/Opti 175/17" LCD/1gb ram/2 HDD/2 Opticals/USB Scanner/8800GTS display/Audigy 2 /4x120mm fans/mouse keyboard

attached but were not powered...
2 External USB HDDs/Cable Modem/Altec 621 Speakers

The Powerchute software says that the load on the UPS with all the above hardware is 6% !! :O

Eazy said:
I have timed the backup of my SmartUPS 750va at 19 minutes - that is when it shut down.

The load...
A8N-E/Opti 175/17" LCD/1gb ram/2 HDD/2 Opticals/USB Scanner/8800GTS display/Audigy 2 /4x120mm fans/mouse keyboard

attached but were not powered...
2 External USB HDDs/Cable Modem/Altec 621 Speakers

The Powerchute software says that the load on the UPS with all the above hardware is 6%
!! :O

So your system is consuming only 45VA!

can u guys leme know wich ups to buy??? my quetions are in post #40...am putting it up here again....

can u suggest me a budget n reliable ups? i hav a amd 64 bit 3000+ rig with 1gig ram, and 15" crt. ill be upgrading to a highend gfx card, 22" lcd and a way better psu, atleast 600w. basically i want a sumwat futureproof ups? plz suggest me sum models....

n how is powercom n microtek? shud i go in for a 1kva model? also...the ups shud automatically switch off the machine wen its running on batteries....and a backup of 10 mins is more than enough.

hey @ eazy, did the apc ups come with battery or was battery charged extra? :ashamed:
i asked two dealers and got a quote of 7.2k on apc smart ups, but without the battery. i was told it would cost me 11.5k total with battery, which is above my budget :(

6pack said:
hey @ eazy, did the apc ups come with battery or was battery charged extra? :ashamed:
i asked two dealers and got a quote of 7.2k on apc smart ups, but without the battery. i was told it would cost me 11.5k total with battery, which is above my budget :(
THATS B.S. !! ... I have never bought any UPS which came without a battery and I have used at least 7 - 8 UPS over the years. I bought my SmartUPS 750va from Prime - speak to them. Which shops gave you that story about Batteries not included ?

If you go to the APC site they have a list of shops in Mumbai under their "where to buy" page.

@asidxxx ... I think the Powercom 1 kva is a better buy - I have one of these UPS running right now on my second computer and it works fine. Only things I dont like about this is that it connects to the computer via a serial port and its monitoring software is not as classy as Powerchute from APC. The Powercom monitoring software can be set to shut the computer after a preselected time has passed when the UPS is powering system with its battery.

6pack said:

i think the high end apc ups have the option of external battery for better back up but as I said its optional, so dont let them con you

@eazy, CRT's draw more power than LCD's especially while powering on right. so am I right in thinking that 19 inchers etc would need a higher capacity ups ?

bottle said:
i think the high end apc ups have the option of external battery for better back up but as I said its optional, so dont let them con you

CRT's draw more power than LCD's especially while powering on right. so am I right in thinking that 19 inchers etc would need a higher capacity ups ?

Ooops .. I have not checked my SmartUPS UPS to see if it accepts external batteries - I think you are right - the EXTRA quoted must be for an external battery. I know that my Powercom 1kva UPS has a socket for an external battery.

On my second computer I have a 19" Samsung CRT installed. This now has a Powercom 1kva UPS and before that I had that system connected to a Powercom 600va. Both these UPS handled the setup quite fine.

The 600A would make a beep sound whenever the 19" CRT was powered on (I am sure it was a beep of protest of the high start up load of the 19" ) :eek:hyeah: but during a power outage it would power the system including the 19" CRT for about 8 - 10 minutes.

Eazy said:
Ooops .. I have not checked my SmartUPS UPS to see if it accepts external batteries - I think you are right - the EXTRA quoted must be for an external battery. I know that my Powercom 1kva UPS has a socket for an external battery.

On my second computer I have a 19" Samsung CRT installed. This now has a Powercom 1kva UPS and before that I had that system connected to a Powercom 600va. Both these UPS handled the setup quite fine.

The 600A would make a beep sound whenever the 19" CRT was powered on (I am sure it was a beep of protest of the high start up load of the 19" ) :eek:hyeah: but during a power outage it would power the system including the 19" CRT for about 8 - 10 minutes.

The beep is because of the UPS relay switching to the battery mode due to the heavy surge current consumed by the CRT on switching on.

I am also using a Powercomm 600VA but exclusively for my 17" LG flatron and still it gives less than 5 minutes backup. (My 19" LCD having been sent for RMA) Other than that, Powercomm is good. For my system I use a Liebert-Emerson 600VA which is a very good one but costs more than APC.

janitha said:
For my system I use a Liebert-Emerson 600VA which is a very good one but costs more than APC.

These UPS are supposed to be good. But I have never before come across anyone using these UPS. How is their service ? That is one of APC's plus points their A.S.S. is too good - I have a first hand experience of APC's fantastic RMA service - the unit was out of warranty by 2 months and yet APC replaced the unit with no questions asked.

Any reason you chose to buy a Liebert-Emerson over an equalent APC ?

Eazy said:
These UPS are supposed to be good. But I have never before come across anyone using these UPS. How is their service ? That is one of APC's plus points their A.S.S. is too good - I have a first hand experience of APC's fantastic RMA service - the unit was out of warranty by 2 months and yet APC replaced the unit with no questions asked.

Any reason you chose to buy a Liebert-Emerson over an equalent APC ?

In fact I chose it on recommendation of my dealer who is well known to me for about 11 years. In case of any problem, I can get it replaced from him. Now it is about 2 years and working fine. (then it cost me 2.2K) Only after buying it I came to know that it is a reputed international brand.
It is true that the RMA service of APC is the best. And in our department I have never seen any complaint with APC. Earlier they were all TVSE and always riddled with problems.

janitha said:
I have never seen any complaint with APC.

Strangely APC UPS have a known issue with Antec and Corsair Power Supplies ... there is a buzzing sound from these PSU's when the power is supplied by the UPS battery :( I have had 3 APC UPS's and 2 Antec PSU's and now a Corsair PSU and have NEVER experienced this buzzing sound - THANK GAWD !!! It is really funny - in the corsair forum there are 2 reps from Corsair who answer peoples complaints and the first question they ask is "DO YOU RUN AN APC UPS ?" :p

janitha, I have read a lot of your posts in the Digit forum - I have been a member there for years - nice to see you in my HOME :eek:hyeah:

Eazy said:
Strangely APC UPS have a known issue with Antec and Corsair Power Supplies ... there is a buzzing sound from these PSU's when the power is supplied by the UPS battery :( I have had 3 APC UPS's and 2 Antec PSU's and now a Corsair PSU and have NEVER experienced this buzzing sound - THANK GAWD !!! It is really funny - in the corsair forum there are 2 reps from Corsair who answer peoples complaints and the first question they ask is "DO YOU RUN AN APC UPS ?" :p

janitha, I have read a lot of your posts in the Digit forum - I have been a member there for years - nice to see you in my HOME :eek:hyeah:

Happy to meet you. Your username must have been diff there.
BTW, why cant I edit my posts here?

Eazy said:
THATS B.S. !! ... I have never bought any UPS which came without a battery and I have used at least 7 - 8 UPS over the years. I bought my SmartUPS 750va from Prime - speak to them. Which shops gave you that story about Batteries not included ?

If you go to the APC site they have a list of shops in Mumbai under their "where to buy" page.

ha ha ha! thats a good coincidence!
i spoke with some lady at prime yesterday, and got a quote of 7.2k for the 1kva model. I just asked her whether it came with batteries or not, and she said battery will cost u extra sir. She didn't say external battery or extra battery.

also spoke with microage computers, an authorized apc dealer in my area (i got the no from the apc customer service ppl) even that guy told me that the 1 kva model came without battery and that battery will cost extra. i asked him twice just to be sure, and got the same reply.

now i'm really confused :(

6pack said:
i spoke with some lady at prime yesterday, and got a quote of 7.2k for the 1kva model. I just asked her whether it came with batteries or not, and she said battery will cost u extra sir. She didn't say external battery or extra battery.

Check with Nilesh of APEX and see what he says... he sells APC and Powercom UPS ...

Nilesh Zaveri.
Apex Enterprises
Mumbai.
Tel # 23895548 / 23802712
nilesh@apexenterprises.in
Also check with our new member Abhisek of Arihant he mentioned APC in list of products they handle ... his intro thread...
http://www.techenclave.com/forums/hello-guys-95740.html

@janitha... I have used a few usernames at digit but since last couple of years it has been the same - Eazy ... TE allows you to edit your post only for one hour after message posted. :(

Eazy said:

The high cost may be due to it being sine wave. But their site mentions replacement battery as as model RBC48 and hence it is logical that the unit should come with an original battery.
NEW! APC Smart-UPS 750VA USB & Serial 230V

So...if i get this right, you need a (pure) sine wave UPS if you have a Antec or Corsair SMPS ?

assuming that's APC's Smart UPS line...that kind of UPS is nearly twice the cost of a standby UPS !!!!

..otherwise i have a APC 1kVA Back-UPS, it comes with the battery, was about 7k a yr or so back, 1kVA is also the minimum size required if you want to attach an additional battery.

asidxxx said:
can u guys leme know wich ups to buy??? my quetions are in post #40...am putting it up here again....

can u suggest me a budget n reliable ups? i hav a amd 64 bit 3000+ rig with 1gig ram, and 15" crt. ill be upgrading to a highend gfx card, 22" lcd and a way better psu, atleast 600w. basically i want a sumwat futureproof ups? plz suggest me sum models....

n how is powercom n microtek? shud i go in for a 1kva model? also...the ups shud automatically switch off the machine wen its running on batteries....and a backup of 10 mins is more than enough.

The APC BACK-UPS ES 650VA should be ok for the rig.

Or the Microtek 800 VA

well now even am in a bit of a dilemma, the initial quote for the powercom 1kva for 2.8 k that i got was a mistake it seems and now the price is about 4.4k, and its not expected to come in stock for atleast a week, i was planning on the chieftec bh02 and the powercom 1kva coz it was priced cheap, but since now the price is 4.4k either ill have to skip the cabinet or get some microtek 1kva thing, any suggestions?? especially from Eazy

Rave said:
well now even am in a bit of a dilemma, the initial quote for the powercom 1kva for 2.8 k that i got was a mistake it seems and now the price is about 4.4k, and its not expected to come in stock for atleast a week, i was planning on the chieftec bh02 and the powercom 1kva coz it was priced cheap, but since now the price is 4.4k either ill have to skip the cabinet or get some microtek 1kva thing, any suggestions?? especially from Eazy
OK so the price I paid of the 1kva PCM is not high... WHEW !! ... P

I would not buy the Microtek or any other Indian brand UPS .. I dont trust them !!

I think the good ones (in no order) are APC PCM and the Liebert-Emerson mentioned by janitha in this thread.

By the way I am no authority on this topic so dont take my "suggestions" as the final word on this topic - I dont know a capacitor from an inductor or even a MOV if they came out and bit me :eek:hyeah:

Eazy said:
OK so the price I paid of the 1kva PCM is not high... WHEW !! ... P

I would not buy the Microtek or any other Indian brand UPS .. I dont trust them !!

I think the good ones (in no order) are APC PCM and the Liebert-Emerson mentioned by janitha in this thread.

By the way I am no authority on this topic so dont take my "suggestions" as the final word on this topic - I dont know a capacitor from an inductor or even a MOV if they came out and bit me :eek:hyeah:

lol ure way too humble sir, if it all depended on knowing what a Inductor or a capacitor was, then everyone out there wud have been hardware gurus, and by this i ment the local so called technicians we have hehe..

So i guess ill plunge on the cabinet and maybe get the PCM UPS as and when its available...

Back