Video Suggest a VFM 26" LCD

Hello Everybody,

My 12 year old 20" CRT TV gave up on me few days back.
So, now I am planning to buy a new LCD TV. :hap2:

My budget for the same is Rs 20K -25K.
And the preferred screen size is between 26" to 29".
The viewing distance will be between 6 feet to 15 feet.
And the room is normally lit by a light source way above the TV, So there wont be any light sources in front of the TV.

Please suggest a reliable, Value for Money LCD TV for my need.

dantool said:
you can audition the following models

Samsung- LA26B480

LG- 26LH20

The Samsung - LA26B480 is Rs:31,000/- as per their website.
What would be the actual price (inclusive of taxes) for which I can get it?

How much is the margin between prices on website and in stores?

cool.aquarian said:
I need Television. Not Computer Monitor. ;)
Oh.. I thought you were looking for a LCD Monitor. :)

Umm.. Bravia V Series 26". Pretty good.. why not have a look @ 32"ers as well. Won't have much of a price difference.

well in ur budget u can get a 32inch lcd from panasonic like the LE8 or the LX80.the LE8 appears to have a CMO panel based on a MVA origin while the LX80 comes with a IPS panel but has slightly better image processing.

Just visited Croma yesterday and loved the Samsung 26 inch. Looked much better than the Sony 26 inch with BE3.

Was priced at Rs.25,500.

The Sony by the way was Rs.29k

nikeel said:
Just visited Croma yesterday and loved the Samsung 26 inch. Looked much better than the Sony 26 inch with BE3.
Was priced at Rs.25,500.
The Sony by the way was Rs.29k

Any idea about the model number of the Samsung and the Sony you are referring in above post.

cool.aquarian said:
The Samsung - LA26B480 is Rs:31,000/- as per their website.

What would be the actual price (inclusive of taxes) for which I can get it?

How much is the margin between prices on website and in stores?

You should be getting both series 3 and series 4 26" Samsungs in the 21-23 K price range. Check CompareIndia and Naaptol for some super deals.

LA26B350F1

LA26B450C4

LA26B480

LA26A450C1

cool.aquarian said:
Any idea about the model number of the Samsung and the Sony you are referring in above post.

Samsung LA26B480 (most probably, I am going to confirm it when I go there again today evening)

Sony KLV26S550

BTW I am currently confused between buying a 26" and a 32" TV.

the 26inch lcds have older panels based on older tech like the samsung/sony use lcds based on PVA or PMVA ,while i haven't seen much 26inch lcds lately,i know that some even use TN panels like the old sony 26inch U300a series and the samsung bordeux range sold in 2007.

adder said:
the 26inch lcds have older panels based on older tech like the samsung/sony use lcds based on PVA or PMVA ,while i haven't seen much 26inch lcds lately,i know that some even use TN panels like the old sony 26inch U300a series and the samsung bordeux range sold in 2007.

Is there any way of finding out what panel a particular model uses?

nikeel said:

I am too...
Initially I was sure that 26" should be enough(as till now I had 20" CRT), but somewhere I read that since the aspect ratio is widescreen 16:9 (which is great for DVD video/movies), but for normal usage like serials, sports (most cable channels still broadcast with NTSC 4:3 aspect ratio), screen display will effectively be like that of a 21" 4:3 display as some part of both left and right sides of 16:9 screen will remain unused for an NTSC broadcast.

Is this correct ?

I am assuming it to be correct, and hence sometimes feel maybe 32" would be more suitable for 4:3 programs also.

You are correct.

The height of the viewable area of the normal 21" CRT in 4:3 is approximately the same as a 16:9 26" LCD. That is why I too decided to migrate from a 21" CRT direct to a 32" LCD.

nikeel said:
Is there any way of finding out what panel a particular model uses?

well if the lcd has a TN panel then u can know by the poor viewing angle,where u will notice quite a lot of contrast shift verticaly.
for other lcds panels tech u will have to look at the pixel shape by some realy good magnifying glass,but the PVA and PMVA are pretty much the same.
but i suggest u to go for a 32inch lcd.

nikeel said:
Samsung LA26B480 (most probably, I am going to confirm it when I go there again today evening)

Sony KLV26S550

My bad. The Samsung 26" model available for Rs.25.5k is the LA26B450.
The LA26B480 is available for about Rs.28k.

Following free offers are currently available: (which the Croma guy didnt tell me...but after I enquired based on a newspaper ad, he confirmed)
On 26" Samsung LCDs: 50 DVD Movie Pack free
On 32" Samsung LCDs: DVD Player free

nikeel said:
Following free offers are currently available: (which the Croma guy didnt tell me...but after I enquired based on a newspaper ad, he confirmed)
On 26" Samsung LCDs: 50 DVD Movie Pack free
On 32" Samsung LCDs: DVD Player free

Seem to be Decent offers. Thanx for sharing.
These offers are available at all croma centers or only specific ones?

cool.aquarian said:
Seem to be Decent offers. Thanx for sharing.

These offers are available at all croma centers or only specific ones?

Offers available at all Samsung authorised dealers....not just Croma.

BTW, I think 26 or 32 inch shouldn't make a difference in seeing programmes in 4:3. Anyone has an idea how many channels in India optionally broadcast in 16:9? Are there any channels which broadcast only in 4:3 ?

Back