Video Suggest a VFM 26" LCD

cool.aquarian said:
What is ur laptops native resolution and the type of Display interface ?
Its a Dell Inspiron 1420 with a 1280 x 800 native resolution.
It doesn't have a HDMI output so I guess I will have to use VGA/composite.

@cool.aquarian, @b_naresh:

Have you made up your mind as to which model u will be buying? I feel like buying the Sony S-series 26" but the fact that its price is cheaper by only Rs.2k as compared to the Samsung 32" makes me think twice.

Let me know in what lines are u thinking so that we can firm up a model.

nikeel said:

Have you made up your mind as to which model u will be buying? I feel like buying the Sony S-series 26" but the fact that its price is cheaper by only Rs.2k as compared to the Samsung 32" makes me think twice.

well u can also buy them in the grey market,without the warranty , a sony 32S550A will cost 30k or for about 32 to 33k u can get the sony 32T550A in showrooms .

adder said:
well u can also buy them in the grey market,without the warranty , a sony 32S550A will cost 30k or for about 32 to 33k u can get the sony 32T550A in showrooms .

adder: Would it be possible for you to somehow check the Sammy LA26B450 somewhere & confirm what panel it has.....only if it is not very inconvenient for u to go & check it.:cool2:

nikeel said:

Yes, I am almost decided to go for the 32" Sony S Series along with Airtel DTH to replace my aged 12 yr old CRT Box.

Now just hopefully looking for a good deal with any possible discounted add-ons.

I felt there is just too big difference in viewing experience between 26" and 32" with a good source signal.

Between the Sony 26" and Samsung 32", Samsung is more vfm and a better buy imo.

Keep us posted on developments at ur end.

adder said:

I never had the guts to buy any of my stuff from grey market, though I hear that people do buy.

And strangely the stuff I buy does not give any problem within warranty period.

The grey market sold stuff, is it same as original stuff? (I mean originally manufactured, Quality-Assured through standard process and without any known defects)

cool.aquarian said:
I felt there is just too big difference in viewing experience between 26" and 32" with a good source signal.
Between the Sony 26" and Samsung 32", Samsung is more vfm and a better buy imo.
Keep us posted on developments at ur end.

R u confident that u will be able to get a source good enough for 32"?
BTW, r u from Mumbai ?

nikeel said:
R u confident that u will be able to get a source good enough for 32"?

BTW, r u from Mumbai ?

no, Delhi.

Which cable service is used by your colleague having 32" Sony?

(Where you felt pixellation issue and some eye-strain when watching sometime from 8 feet)

cool.aquarian said:
no, Delhi.
Which cable service is used by your colleague having 32" Sony?
(Where you felt pixellation issue and some eye-strain when watching sometime from 8 feet)

Hathway STB. The same one which I have

nikeel said:

The only thing I know is that I will be buying a 26'' TV and not a 32" one due to space constraints. As I mentioned earlier, from what I've seen so far the Samsung 450 seems to be better than the Sony 550. I have to confirm my findings by checking these models (also the Samsung 480 if possible) in more showrooms. The TV will be used for watching mostly SD content (cable TV)and occasionally DVDs.

nikeel said:
adder: Would it be possible for you to somehow check the Sammy LA26B450 somewhere & confirm what panel it has.....only if it is not very inconvenient for u to go & check it.:cool2:

nikeel said:
adder: Whats your view on the new LG-32LH60YR ?
well i will try having a look at the 26inch B450A,when i find time.but if the tv has a very narrow viewing angle,i.e if u see color and contrast shift when u look at the sides,then it will have a TN based CMO panel.but otherwise it will have a PVA or a PMVA,both are mostly identical in performance.but still inferior to the panels found in the 32inch lcds.again if i do find out the panel used in the samsung no guarantee that ur lcd will get the same panel,due to the samsung panel lottery.
about the LG60YR,well its has a low contrast ratio ,medicore blacks,decent SD performance but not as good as the sony S550A.
cool.aquarian said:
I never had the guts to buy any of my stuff from grey market, though I hear that people do buy.
And strangely the stuff I buy does not give any problem within warranty period.
The grey market sold stuff, is it same as original stuff? (I mean originally manufactured, Quality-Assured through standard process and without any known defects)

yes the grey market stuff is the exact same stuff,u get in the showroom.besides u have the liberty to check the tv u buy in the grey market for backlight bleed,dead pixels or even the panel used.sony lcds are the highest selling lcds in grey market,always in ready stock.

Hiyall...
Today I finally decided to pay last visit to the showroom to book my LCD.

It had to be among few models I had in my mind (Sony 32S550A, Samsung 32B480, Samsung 32B530).

During the crucial decision time, my eyes fell on a Sony 32" whose display was just way smoking better as compared to others I was considering

No pixellation at all and sharp edges - even with Dish TV signal from very near distance like 3-4 feet.

So guys, I have booked the Sony 32V550A.

And as it is with sony's uniform pricing, I could get it for no less than 43K.

It has USB Media Layer, but sadly no divx support and also dont have FM Radio.

I felt picture quality as higher priority since I plan to keep this LCD for a long time and these other features can be served by a Laptop/DVD Player at any time.

Thank you all, for ur help.

And keep us posted, which LCD are you guys going to purchase.

@cool.aquarian: Congrats on your purchase!!!

I am still unable to make a decision as I am not finding any model which has no pixellation. Had another round of visit to Croma yesterday. The Samsung 26B450 was the only model which looked blur-free & less pixellation. But somehow didn't like its colours a lot.

I will check out the newly launched LG 26" Jazz Atom before making a decision. One thing is clear. I do not want to pay a lot for the LCD as I am still not happy over the clarity of any LCD. I only hope that like my friend I don't get frustrated & go the CRT way :)

nikeel said:
@cool.aquarian: Congrats on your purchase!!!

I am still unable to make a decision as I am not finding any model which has no pixellation. Had another round of visit to Croma yesterday. The Samsung 26B450 was the only model which looked blur-free & less pixellation. But somehow didn't like its colours a lot.

I will check out the newly launched LG 26" Jazz Atom before making a decision. One thing is clear. I do not want to pay a lot for the LCD as I am still not happy over the clarity of any LCD. I only hope that like my friend I don't get frustrated & go the CRT way :)

u are refering to the same lcd that i mentioned above.....make sure u ask the person to play HD on the screen ...i was left :O seeing it , the samsung series 5 playing next to it seemed so dull......

thetechmind said:
u are refering to the same lcd that i mentioned above.....make sure u ask the person to play HD on the screen ...i was left :O seeing it , the samsung series 5 playing next to it seemed so dull......

well u can always make the samsung look better or u can even make a cheap VU lcd set look better then others ,it all depends upon the settings.
the samsung series 5 was dull due to the settings,i am sure it would have looked better much better since it has quite a lot more contrast to play with.which the lg can only dream off.

Back