Video Suggest a VFM 26" LCD

we have atleast 3 people on TE in the active thread section wanting to get 32" LCD's. Maybe we could buy it together and rob in some real nice deal + freebies >?

Just came back visiting Vijay Sales & eZone.

Clarifications on the Samsung prices:-

eZone was willing to offer the Samsung LA32B450 for Rs.32k without the free DVD player offer. And Rs.35k with the free DVD player. The salesman was trying to convince me to get a LG since "its IPS panel is cooler on the eyes when seen in a dark room as compared to SPVA panels". The guy admitted about the Samsung LCD panel lottery system

Vijay Sales offered the Samsung LA26B450 for Rs.24k.

cool.aquarian said:
For normal Cable signal(Airtel), I could notice some blurring/pixellation near image edges from 3-4 feet distance (more prominent in Sony than samsung).

The salesperson suggested that I have to view from more distance and they wont show. Is this normal?

Yes. The pixellation on all 32 inch TVs was quite evident from a distance of 8 feet and went on reducing as I went further away from the TV

@adder: I notice that the Samsung LA26B450 has a viewing angle of 170 degrees as against 178 degrees found in most TVs. I guess that should not be a problem, right?

cool.aquarian said:
But, the below website says it has S-PVA panel:
[url]http://www.lcdspec.com/lcd/218-Sony-32S550A.html[/url]

Are these inferior compared to above-mentioned A-MVA and IPS ?

all the sony and samsungs tvs are advertized as SPVA since thats the type of lcds that the S lcd(a joint venture b/w sony and samsung churn out),but in reality sony also uses AMVA lcds from AU optronics and CPT in 26inch lcds.
where as samsung uses AMVA and CMO based in most of the models.
i still have a brochure of sony V300A model which was advertized as SPVA but had a AMVA upon inspection.

SPVA performance is similar to AMVA,but has a higher input lag compared to AMVA and slightly inferior viewing angle compared to SPVA,but only some of the newer or higher segemet AMVA panels have similar contrast or even a slight edge compared to SPVA.
the IPS based panels have realy poor contrast. but have excellent viewing angle and lower input lag then the above.

nikeel said:
How do I check out the "input lag" while seeing the TV ?

Also is it true that IPS is easier on the eyes than SPVA?

well u can't check the input lag by just watching,even if it has a higher input lag its noticable mostly in FPS games especialy in online multi player gaming.
again apart from the panel tech,the image processing also is responsible for input lag,sony last years BE2 model for eg had a input lag as good as a IPS based lcd.the sony BE3 based 09 lcd tv for some reason has a higher input lag then last years model,but it is still better then the competition like samsung,toshiba etc which use VA based panels.

well there is no such thing as IPS is easier on the eyes then spva.

OK. So I guess if I am not going to use it for gaming, I won't really notice the difference in input lag.

Also request you views on the following query posted by me earlier:

nikeel said:
@adder: I notice that the Samsung LA26B450 has a viewing angle of 170 degrees as against 178 degrees found in most TVs. I guess that should not be a problem, right?

And finally request you to give me your pick out of the following:

26 inch: Samsung LA26B450 vs Sony 26S550 (Is the extra 6k for the Sony justified either by a guarantee of a SPVA panel or by its sound system)

32 inch: Samsung LA32B450 vs Sony 32S550 )(Again is the extra 5k justified on the Sony for the same 2 points)

Even I'm looking to buy a 26" LCD. I saw the Sony KLV-26S550A and the Samsung LA26B450C4 side by side at Croma Mulund today. I felt the Samsung produced sharper and more saturated images than the Sony. They didn't have the Samsung LA26B480 which I also wanted to see...will need to check in more showrooms.

b_naresh said:
Even I'm looking to buy a 26" LCD. I saw the Sony KLV-26S55A and the Samsung LA26B450C4 side by side at Croma Mulund today. I felt the Samsung produced sharper and more saturated images than the Sony. They didn't have the Samsung LA26B480 which I also wanted to see...will need to check in more showrooms.

Even when I checked in Croma I found the Samsung 26 inch more sharper than the Sony. But I don't know whether the settings are done that way by Croma people to promote Samsung. None of the stores I went to promoted Sony saying its only a brand name. This is partially true but could be also a result of the factor that they must be getting higher margins on Samsung.

The Sony if you notice are priced exactly the same in whichever shop you go. Not a rupee less not a rupee more.

nikeel said:
OK. So I guess if I am not going to use it for gaming, I won't really notice the difference in input lag.

Also request you views on the following query posted by me earlier:

And finally request you to give me your pick out of the following:
26 inch: Samsung LA26B450 vs Sony 26S550 (Is the extra 6k for the Sony justified either by a guarantee of a SPVA panel or by its sound system)

32 inch: Samsung LA32B450 vs Sony 32S550 )(Again is the extra 5k justified on the Sony for the same 2 points)

well i haven't seen the 26B450A myself,but the 170 degree may indicate that it might have a TN panel.
but in the 32inch segement the sony does have a slight edge both in image quality due to the slightly better upscaling done by the BE3 and also the sound quality.samsungs 09 tvs suck in sound quality since they are concentrating more on the aesthetics.

nikeel said:
None of the stores I went to promoted Sony saying its only a brand name. This is partially true but could be also a result of the factor that they must be getting higher margins on Samsung.

The Sony if you notice are priced exactly the same in whichever shop you go. Not a rupee less not a rupee more.

well in sony they follow a uniform pricing strategy,their ain't much difference b/w the MRP and the street price,where as in samsung there is a huge difference ,so naturaly the margin is higher.since samsung is assembled in india,the customs duties on its lcd is 5%,where as the sony is a direct import taxed at 30%.
offcouse sony still is a premium brand,but the higher prices in india are primarly due to the high customs.
sony lcd still losses money for every lcd sold,according to sony lcd business head they will get even or start making profits only in 2010+.
sony lcds still sell the most in the grey market.where the sony 32S550 costs only 30k and 32V550A costs 37k.

Well. I have finally decided to go in for a 26" TV. Watched a 32" Sony for some time at a colleague's place today & after some time felt a strain on the eyes at a distance of 8 feet. Plus the pixellation issue persists at this distance.

nikeel said:
Well. I have finally decided to go in for a 26" TV. Watched a 32" Sony for some time at a colleague's place today & after some time felt a strain on the eyes at a distance of 8 feet. Plus the pixellation issue persists at this distance.
Which one, which shop, what price?

nikeel said:

well i too watch at 8 feet but the pixalation is not due to the tv but the source,i have a big tv dth i can hardly see any pixalation,in the begining of their service i could but not any more,i also have airtel dth where i can notice pixelation in a 32inch sony lcd.
the 26inch lcds all have inferior contrast and viewing angles due to the use of PMVA or PVA or even TN based panels.compared to the newer SPVA,AMVA in sony or even SMVA in samsung 32inch lcds.

adder said:
well i too watch at 8 feet but the pixalation is not due to the tv but the source,i have a big tv dth i can hardly see any pixalation,in the begining of their service i could but not any more,i also have airtel dth where i can notice pixelation in a 32inch sony lcd.
the 26inch lcds all have inferior contrast and viewing angles due to the use of PMVA or PVA or even TN based panels.compared to the newer SPVA,AMVA in sony or even SMVA in samsung 32inch lcds.

I agree that the fault is not of the TV. Its of the source.But thats the kind of input we will have to live with. I have Hathway cablewallah STB.

Would the Sony 26S550 be a good choice with respect to the panel they use?

P.S. I will give the 32" one more try in the afternoon to see whether I can live with it.

nikeel said:

I agree that the fault is not of the TV. Its of the source.But thats the kind of input we will have to live with. I have Hathway cablewallah STB.

Congratulations for progressing onto some Decision.
which 26" have you zeroed upon: Sony or Samsung ?

Did you check how the hathway cable signal will look on 26" lcd ?
At one of the stores I visited, they could not have the sony 26" connected to Cable Signal. Another store did not have any 26" model on display at all.

If all of your usage is going to be cable-tv only, then 26" may suffice.
But if you have any plans of watching DVD's, then you can give one more try at 32".

cool.aquarian said:
Congratulations for progressing onto some Decision.

which 26" have you zeroed upon: Sony or Samsung ?

Did you check how the hathway cable signal will look on 26" lcd ?

At one of the stores I visited, they could not have the sony 26" connected to Cable Signal. Another store did not have any 26" model on display at all.

If all of your usage is going to be cable-tv only, then 26" may suffice.

But if you have any plans of watching DVD's, then you can give one more try at 32".

I preferred the Samsung 26 inch in Croma as against the Sony. I am getting the Samsung for 24k & the Sony for 30k; so there is a significant difference there in pricing.

However 2 things are putting me away from the Samsung: One is that its 170 degrees viewing angle indicates its some lower end panel as adder indicated. Secondly the sound on the Sony will be probably better than the Samsung.

My usage will be mainly for cable TV and for watching a few DivX movies by connecting my laptop to the TV.

nikeel said:
My usage will be mainly for cable TV and for watching a few DivX movies by connecting my laptop to the TV.

What is ur laptops native resolution and the type of Display interface (VGA, DVI, etc)? will be requiring a converter to convert it to HDMI.

Back