Car & Bike Suggest me a family automatic car, preferably well under 10L OTR (lesser the better)

raksrules

Elite
Before I tell my requirement, I want to mention that at this point, I have already booked the "Maruti Suzuki S-Presso VXi+ AMT" in Oct 2021 end but still waiting for allotment and hence window shopping for options.

I am looking to buy my first ever car and it is meant for myself, wife and 2 kids. It is expected to be only car in my family (brother has corolla altis manual but I don't consider that). We are new drivers and have never driven in India (independently, only driving is through driving school).
I don't have a fixed budget but I don't want to go overboard and hence mentioned 10L OTR. But I want to be as low as possible.

Here was my thought process in selecting S-Presso for now.

1. Cheap car which works for a family of 4.
2. Maruti or Hyundai only due to concerns with A.S.S and being first time buyer, I want fuss free ownership.
3. Decent bells and whistles.
4. Reverse camera / inbuilt touch screen - Spresso top end does not have camera but has touch screen so fitting camera and getting video is not an issue.
5. Yes I am aware about its 0 Star GNACP rating. Since it is primarily a city car, I chose to ignore this.

Now it has been almost 3 months that I booked this car and still no allotment is done (I was told 4-6 weeks at the time of booking). I am hence also checking other options in market which offer better value for money and are not necessarily very expensive. A few options I am considering are...

Hyundai Santro Sportz AMT - Seems good value for month at 7.xx Lakh which is 1 Lakh OTR over my S-Presso but overall packaged better I feel. But seems not a hot seller in market for some reason.

Hyundai Grand i10 Nios Sportz AMT - More premium over the santro but also 1.5 Lakh expensive OTR. Lots of bells and whistles in the Sportz version.

Tata Tiago XZA / XZA+ - Tata so I have concerns, also have heard their AMT gearboxes aren't great.

Tata Punch Adventure with Rhythm pack or Accomplished AMT - Have seen this in flesh and I feel it looks stunning but the variants I like are 8.7x to 9.4 L which is pretty high and I would like to stay in lower price bracket.

I am yet to see Santro and Nios physically, as in sitting inside and such. But since it is from my preferred brands (maruti / hyundai), I am more inclined.

I would appreciate if people here who knows more than me and help me out. Wagon R Zxi AMT is also an option but I am not super keen, but can consider.

Getting used cars is out of question, even from spinny etc too. So no used cars.

Get wagon r automatic, and for a first timer it's the best choice really.
Utterly spacious and good for city
Low maintenance
Tall boy design
Bells and whistles can be easily added based on your preferences, and just look at the various variants
Comes in cng and lpg as well not sure if amt available in these.

Spresso well I am not sure

Go for a bigger car in the same budget. No bells and whistles can compensate for space and a better look.
Tata Nexon or Tigor.
Nissan Magnite - Insane demand for it. Get the xv executive and add whats missing for 20-30k) Get it with maintenance packs. You're set for 5 years.
Hyundai sonnet
Maruti Brezza ( Very good if you like its old looks)

These go very high too, so stick to models with OTR price of less than 10L in your city. Also if its going to run much and CNG in your city is cheap, then get CNG kit. You can also consider Tata iCNG Tigor for lower runnign cost.

I have no intention to put any aftermarket CNG Kit. Also since it will be automatic, I am not keen to install CNG unless a factory fitted (in an automatic) comes which it does not in any manufacturer. I don't want a big car per se. Hatchback kind of only.
Nissan Magnite - Insane demand for it. Get the xv executive and add whats missing for 20-30k) Get it with maintenance packs. You're set for 5 years.

I don't see automatic in XV Executive. Also automatic part is non negotiable. It needs to be an automatic only. The lowest variant with automatic is XL Turbo CVT which is 10L.
Get wagon r automatic, and for a first timer it's the best choice really.
Utterly spacious and good for city
Low maintenance
Tall boy design
Bells and whistles can be easily added based on your preferences, and just look at the various variants
Comes in cng and lpg as well not sure if amt available in these.

Spresso well I am not sure
Yes wagon R is being thought about. Just that it becomes pricer than santro sportz amt and I don't see much value spending 75K more in wagon R. Like For Eg, in wagon R, I will need to get camera installed while santro has it already. I know camera is not an expensive item relatively but stock is stock. Also santro seems to be offering better AMT than maruti ones with premium interiors.

Last edited:
Just my two cents, bells and whistles can be added in future but safety can't be. So, think wisely and choose a car with decent safety features. You don't know when you require it. As I earlier posted in TBHP also, my brother met with accident within city and the car got totalled but he got saved due to the safety features of the car (Verna).
So, my suggestion would be to find a balance between safety and features and not to buy a car with zero rating.

Also, for a 10L kind of budget go for proper automatics only. I own a Ignis and a Wagon R AMT. AMT is decent. But I'd buy an AMT only in the budget of 6-7L.

Just my two cents, bells and whistles can be added in future but safety can't be. So, think wisely and choose a car with decent safety features. You don't know when you require it. As I earlier posted in TBHP also, my brother met with accident within city and the car got totalled but he got saved due to the safety features of the car (Verna).
So, my suggestion would be to find a balance between safety and features and not to buy a car with zero rating.

Also, for a 10L kind of budget go for proper automatics only. I own a Ignis and a Wagon R AMT. AMT is decent. But I'd buy an AMT only in the budget of 6-7L.
As I mentioned, budget I said 10L because I am struggling to find something in lower price range. As someone who has no driving experience here, I don't think it matters to me whether it is AMT or TC or CVT.
Is the Santro Sportz AMT or the Grand i10 Nios a good option? I know the i10 Nios is 2 stars and santro not tested.
Punch sort of checks all boxes when it comes to safety + features but being new driver, I don't want any headache with A.S.S.
Because if I am ok to spend 8.55L OTR on Grand i10 NIOS then I can also get the Punch Adventure with Rhythm pack for little more.

Why don't you do with the tried and tested and very popular Swift Dzire? Being a Maruti car the maintenance cost is also low. It's a sedan and perfect for a family of 4. Has everything you need in higher end models.

Why don't you do with the tried and tested and very popular Swift Dzire? Being a Maruti car the maintenance cost is also low. It's a sedan and perfect for a family of 4. Has everything you need in higher end models.

Wife and little bit of myself too won't be comfortable with a bigger car. I know it is sub 4 m sedan but still it is sedan and hence hatch back is what we are preferring.

Just reiterating, I am planning to get something for less and I have mentioned 10L to see what options I have if I stretch and if it has value.

Well then the new WagonR seems perfect and you'll save money too in the long run. Maintenance cost with Hyundai are more than Maruti as far as I've heard.
It's the most popular car for a reason and there must be a reason why it's super popular with cabs. I think you should go for it as your first car but I can see why one may not want to go for it.

My father was also skeptical of going with WagonR because in his mind it was "taxi car". Then we bumped the budget and went with Dzire and no regrets. This was all in 2019 Dec.

Not open to purchasing a used car? a 4-5 years old Honda Brio, Grand i10 or a Jazz would be great car within 5 L. Members from TBHP Mumbai can surely help you to find a decent one.

Not open to purchasing a used car? a 4-5 years old Honda Brio, Grand i10 or a Jazz would be great car within 5 L. Members from TBHP Mumbai can surely help you to find a decent one.

I know they can help but I am skeptical of used cars as all the things the dealers and middle men do to just offload a car. You may have even seen the recent thread about what goes behind in the cars24 and spinny kind of things where all those 200 point checklist and all is just BS.
I have personal experience wherein brother sold 130K Kms Honda city to a dealer to only see it listed for 80K Kms on OLX in a week with issues conveniently hidden.

The more I am researching, I am inching towards the santro sportz AMT as it seems value for money model and isn't really missing much over the top end asta model. I intend to go to hyundai showroom this saturday to check it once.

I know they can help but I am skeptical of used cars as all the things the dealers and middle men do to just offload a car. You may have even seen the recent thread about what goes behind in the cars24 and spinny kind of things where all those 200 point checklist and all is just BS.
I have personal experience wherein brother sold 130K Kms Honda city to a dealer to only see it listed for 80K Kms on OLX in a week with issues conveniently hidden.

The more I am researching, I am inching towards the santro sportz AMT as it seems value for money model and isn't really missing much over the top end asta model. I intend to go to hyundai showroom this saturday to check it once.
Buy new period
And its a very very well known fact that hyndai has much higher maintenance cost..
tigor is well balanced sedan with safety features as well.
Fuel economy is decent, spacious not too big at all
Buy basic version in petrol and get the features added from company before taking delivery

Otherwise wagon r is ग्रेट

I have no intention to put any aftermarket CNG Kit. Also since it will be automatic, I am not keen to install CNG unless a factory fitted (in an automatic) comes which it does not in any manufacturer. I don't want a big car per se. Hatchback kind of only.

I don't see automatic in XV Executive. Also automatic part is non negotiable. It needs to be an automatic only. The lowest variant with automatic is XL Turbo CVT which is 10L.

Yes wagon R is being thought about. Just that it becomes pricer than santro sportz amt and I don't see much value spending 75K more in wagon R. Like For Eg, in wagon R, I will need to get camera installed while santro has it already. I know camera is not an expensive item relatively but stock is stock. Also santro seems to be offering better AMT than maruti ones with premium interiors.
Why do you want automatic so bad? It will always come at a premium. If you get those, make sure you get highest extended warranty period you can.
There is not much difference in driving or parking a sedan or hatchback. I dont see why you'd spend 8lakh for hatchback when you can spend 9L and get sedan. You are still paying 8lakhs. You might not need it now, but you'll be surprised how soon you'll need the extra space.
My relative got a hatchback due to parking space problems, and its almost comical how small that vehicle is. Feels like a small box on wheels.
Test drive a few vehicles and you'll see.

Why do you want automatic so bad? It will always come at a premium. If you get those, make sure you get highest extended warranty period you can.
There is not much difference in driving or parking a sedan or hatchback. I dont see why you'd spend 8lakh for hatchback when you can spend 9L and get sedan. You are still paying 8lakhs. You might not need it now, but you'll be surprised how soon you'll need the extra space.
My relative got a hatchback due to parking space problems, and its almost comical how small that vehicle is. Feels like a small box on wheels.
Test drive a few vehicles and you'll see.

See, automatic part is just non negotiable. You probably are a manual car driver and hence your query as to "Why automatic" but consider myself and wife who have driven Camry automatic in US for 4+ years and we just love driving automatic. I have driven manual in car training school couple of months back and that further cemented by inclination towards automatics.
If automatics were not in demand, all companies wouldn't have AMTs and such automatics in their array of vehicles. Also as I said, 10L is max absolutely. If you see my current booking is of SPresso which is 6L OTR Car so it is very difficult for me to consider 10L car at this point. May be I should change subject to 8L OTR. In this price range, I see santro AMT checking all boxes for me and something that will need absolutely no aftermarket work too I feel.

About needing it later, it may be one off cases when we all from home go to someplace. But our car is going to be only for city so luggage will be very less and also if we do have to fill car with more luggage, my brother has corolla altis. We currently use that when we 7 people (2 kids) in family need to travel to somewhere.

Can you point me to those threads seems I missed on them...
As for odometer tampering its pretty common. Your brother should have bought it to notice and may be a huge gang/scandal could have been busted..

Odometer tampering can be avoided by insisting on the full service history. Choose a car which has full service history preferably at the authorised service center. Nowadays from the manufacturer apps it is even more easy to get all service records sitting at your home. Else, having a known mechanic helps. This is from my experience of buying and selling 3 used cars in last 17 years.

Odometer tampering can be avoided by insisting on the full service history. Choose a car which has full service history preferably at the authorised service center. Nowadays from the manufacturer apps it is even more easy to get all service records sitting at your home. Else, having a known mechanic helps. This is from my experience of buying and selling 3 used cars in last 17 years.
Not everyone services at auth. centers. I know people who take matters in their own hands and service it from a local garage albeit in front of them in their knowledge. But once such cars are sold there is no way out to find any such history thing hence tampering of anything can go to any extent!
Most of them are pro and believe service centers are stupid, loot you and for one issue they create other mess and even ask to change xyz part as well. Add to that the exorbitant labor charges like for fitting a mirror 3 laborers are working where the mirror costs 100 bucks, incl labor service it comes to 450 etc. Where outside the same mirror costs 70 bucks and local garage guy installs it for 50 bucks.

(Rates are for example indicative only as to how cheap is DIY thing)

Totally agree with them.
Just like a pc if you get to know your car pretty well incl. oils, electronic, body, mechanics, and bit under the hood etc. there's no need for any service center crap nor any garage guy can fool you..

Don't buy such a car. Most manufacturers now offers extended warranty. In extended warranty you must have to service the car in ASS only to keep warranty valid. So, if you take your time to search for the right one. For example my car would be 5 years old next year and it is in extended warranty till next year but since it is in extended warranty not a single service has been done outside, although my friend owns a private service center and can do the service at half cost.
I was searching for a used Nexon automatic a few months back in Delhi. I came across a car which was 3.5 years old and had all service records. I verified from the Tata Motors app. And that was from Spinny. Later I didn't buy for some financial reasons. But finding a good one isn't impossible. You have to have patience and have to be thorough.

Don't buy such a car. Most manufacturers now offers extended warranty. In extended warranty you must have to service the car in ASS only to keep warranty valid. So, if you take your time to search for the right one. For example my car would be 5 years old next year and it is in extended warranty till next year but since it is in extended warranty not a single service has been done outside, although my friend owns a private service center and can do the service at half cost.
I was searching for a used Nexon automatic a few months back in Delhi. I came across a car which was 3.5 years old and had all service records. I verified from the Tata Motors app. And that was from Spinny. Later I didn't buy for some financial reasons. But finding a good one isn't impossible. You have to have patience and have to be thorough.
Yes recent cars which come with service assistance etc for 3-5 yrs have no issues but what after the warranty ceases? Many prefer to service it locally, at friends place, or just spoil their cars randomly at any garage just to save on big spends.
So even if a car is 8yr old, very well maintained etc, its doubtful one will find her a-z service history as after those freebie warranty/a.s.s who knows where was she maintained etc.
Another important factor, the seller themselves pay extra to get the odo tampered to fetch better sale rates! Thus, one will find 10yr old car which did only 45k on odo. Highly logically impossible but extremely tempting for noob buyers who solely blindly believe on such figures thus fall prey and suffer in huge losses thereafter..

Curious to know, why do you need all bells and whistles. Do you really care about auto dimming irvm, or daytime lamps, or a few chrome touches here and there. Many people want a fully loaded car without fully checking if they really need those features.

If you dont care about engines, get a car that is spacious enough based on the height of your kid and yourself. Also, do check if you actually care about the features that the top end models offer.

Also, maybe you can also look at Baleno auto. It is more spacious than spresso. Have you spent considerable time in small cars to know if you would find them comfortable. Asking because you mentioned camry and altis both of which are big and spacious.

Last edited:
Back